BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#55882 - 05/04/08 02:42 AM My first video.
Jay R. Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 21/M/Tacoma, WA
Here's a video of me at my league this morning. It's three shots. I hope the result of them doesn't matter too much because I didn't really show the ball hitting the pins on the first two shots. Looking at it, I really gotta wonder how I average 200+. Anyways, am I horrible, or better than I thought?

Sorry if it's poor quality but it was during league so I couldn't get any angle I wanted.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#55900 - 05/04/08 08:29 AM Re: My first video. [Re: Jay R.]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Welcome to the site, you seem to be losing leverage at the release because you are too open to the right of your target and pull the ball across your body from time to time. Try keeping your balance arm up higher and square to your target at the release.

The video was too dark to see your hand position, but I like the fact that the ball was close to your ankle at the release, that indicates you have a good armswing which is rare.

You could gain a little more power by getting a little more knee bend into your slide try bending your right leg a little more as you go into your slide.

Next video try setting the camera's night vision so it takes in more light.

#55925 - 05/04/08 02:38 PM Re: My first video. [Re: CoachJim]
Jay R. Offline
Legend

Thanks a lot Jim. I was told by another person I have a fluid armswing. It's nice to know I have that. My hand position was meant to be cocked to the left and cocked, both slightly. However I tend to get in the habbit of doing it too much(more than slightly). I'm not really sure if I'm maintaining the possition through the swing either. I also noticed watching my video that my balance arm goes down once I release the ball. Is that a sign of forcing the ball? What about my timing in general? I'll try working on getting lower and more leverage.

I will also admit I squease the ball a bit, but since reading these boards and Ron C's tips I've been really wanting to break that habit so I'm hopefully less tempted to "try" reving the ball. Also, with a more proper fit maybe I won't have to try so hard to hold the ball when i need my fingers to be closer to the middle ones.

Edited by Amateur (05/04/08 02:39 PM)

#55930 - 05/04/08 05:09 PM Re: My first video. [Re: Jay R.]
Jay R. Offline
Legend

I also thought this pic might be helpful in case discussion about getting the right fit goes further.

If you turn your head so that my fingers appear more vertical, you wil see my normal "thumbs up". I find it really weird but it's natural. I'm hoping by looking at this someone can take an educated guess on what my thumb pitch should be.

Currently one of my balls have 0 pitch which still takes a bit of squeasing, but the others including the one in the video is 1/8 reverse. The reason for this is that I wanted to experiment with more forward pitch.

If there's any other types of pics that would be helpful such as positioning my hand like I'm holding an imaginary bowling ball, etc let me know.

#55971 - 05/05/08 11:04 AM Re: My first video. [Re: Jay R.]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

If you look at your thumb, you can see the parts of your thumb that are rubbing in the hole, mostly around the back of the thumb at the knuckle. This swelling occurs when you have to bend the thumb to hang onto the ball.

It looks like you have a fairly long thumb so you may not need to go as far forward with your thumb pitch as I have, but you definitely need to go at least another 1/4" to 3/8" forward to prevent the thumb from rubbing so much. Also it looks as though the right side of the thumb as you are looking at it rubs also so you might need to move the thumb pitch to the left an eighth at a time until it stops rubbing.

It might also be that it rubs there because of the knuckling of the thumb, but an ovaled thumb hole might help as well.

#55985 - 05/05/08 05:43 PM Re: My first video. [Re: CoachJim]
Jay R. Offline
Legend

My thumb hole is oval. I would probably have to agree with you about the pitches even the lateral 1/8 or so. Once I can get over the thumb thing I'll feel like just about anything is possible. I thought my thumb was average or short though, I could be wrong.

Also, the darkness you see on my knuckle is not there as I look at my thumb now. I think it was just the lighting because I don't recall it being like that, although it is swollen compared to my left thumb. Is that because of squeasing or should all bowlers have bigger bowling thumbs than non bowling thumbs?

Also, As you can see I have a small hand and wrist. I think this makes it hard on me to get a decent rev rate because it's not too strong and perhaps a little lazy. Although I may not be able to cock my hand through the whole swing, I feel like I can cup it. Is that enough to get the proper revs I need?

#55988 - 05/05/08 08:17 PM Re: My first video. [Re: Jay R.]
Worm27 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 32/M/WA
Is that at Narrows Plaza Bowl on Mildred Street?
16 lb Brunswick Avalanche Solid

#55991 - 05/05/08 08:51 PM Re: My first video. [Re: Jay R.]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

Quote:
Also, As you can see I have a small hand and wrist. I think this makes it hard on me to get a decent rev rate because it's not too strong and perhaps a little lazy. Although I may not be able to [censored] my hand through the whole swing, I feel like I can cup it. Is that enough to get the proper revs I need?

If you measure your thumb from the base to the tip as a general rule if it is 2" or longer you will not need as much forward pitch as someone with a shorter pitch, you can measure your thumb and figure that out for yourself.

The majority of the revs you see guys get on TV is from cocking the wrist into the release zone and uncocking it as the thumb exits the ball which puts a spring motion into the release which doubles the amount of revs you could normally get on the ball.

Since it looks as if you have read Ron's tips, are you able to do the cupping drill for testing your wrist strength in the bowler's release tip?

#55993 - 05/05/08 09:41 PM Re: My first video. [Re: CoachJim]
Jay R. Offline
Legend

Originally Posted By: Worm27
Is that at Narrows Plaza Bowl on Mildred Street?

It's actually Paradise Village. What center do you bowl at?

Originally Posted By: CoachJim
If you measure your thumb from the base to the tip as a general rule if it is 2" or longer you will not need as much forward pitch as someone with a shorter pitch, you can measure your thumb and figure that out for yourself.

The majority of the revs you see guys get on TV is from cocking the wrist into the release zone and uncocking it as the thumb exits the ball which puts a spring motion into the release which doubles the amount of revs you could normally get on the ball.

Since it looks as if you have read Ron's tips, are you able to do the cupping drill for testing your wrist strength in the bowler's release tip?

My thumb is close to 2 1/4". I may have to go somewhere between 1/4 and 3/8 forward like you suggested.

In my attempts to cock the wrist, I think all I've done was get as many revs as if I was only cupping it because I tried to keep it the way even through the release. Now that I know you have to uncock right at release I might be able to rev up a tad more but nothing like the guys on TV because I don't feel that my wrist is that quick. Yep, I've read almost all of Ron's tips plus his Breakpoint Target articles and I can do the cupping exercise in the Release tip, but it takes a lot of effort while it seems easy for him.

#56001 - 05/06/08 12:48 AM Re: My first video. [Re: Jay R.]
Worm27 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 32/M/WA
I bowl at Pacific right now. I used to bowl at Narrows Plaza on Thursday nights in the Buckshooters league for a few years until I took last year off. Next year Pacific is offering a Monday Night PBA experience league. I was thinking this would be a cool idea, but I wanted to try and establish a 200 average before doing this. I also wanted to learn to shoot straighter at my spares too. Next year, I want to expand and maybe bowl a league at Paradise or maybe Bowlero because I heard that in comparison to Pacific and Narrows, Bowlero really floods their lanes.

Edited by Worm27 (05/06/08 12:50 AM)
16 lb Brunswick Avalanche Solid

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 03:09 PM
Trying to keep my throw straight
by Dennis Michael - 11/14/18 11:23 AM
Ebonite Day at my Proshop
by Dennis Michael - 11/07/18 01:11 PM
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Dennis Michael - 11/03/18 10:05 AM
Gouges and scratches on bowling ball
by Dennis Michael - 10/31/18 11:54 AM
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by djp1080 - 10/22/18 10:42 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.