BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#56005 - 05/06/08 01:14 AM Re: My first video. [Re: Worm27]
Jay R. Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 21/M/Tacoma, WA
I heard that about bowlero in the past as well. But now I'm not sure as they seem a bit drier. I actually consider Paradise's fresh pattern pretty wet. I don't know how long, but no longer than 40 feet with quite a bit of volume, so I'l say it's a little on the heavier side of Medium.

I hear Pacific is an easy house like there's a big wall and all that. I don't bowl there much but when I do I'm not finding the same results. But yeah, I encourage you to do some bowling either at Bowlero or Paradise because the experience you get from bowling at different houses teaches a lot and I'd say one of the biggest differences will probably be carry.

It seems like you're averaging 200 with your new swing and release already, I'd say you're at least ready to bowl at another house. It would be pretty cool if you actually joined the PBA Experience League Paradise will have this summer. Even though you don't average 200 now, it's a great experience and the way I see it your free armswing puts you ahead of the game. Do you have a spare ball or would you just throw your strike ball straight?

If you do decide to bowl at Paradise we can hang out and talk so that would be a plus. I think even though I'm a youth bowler they will let me do the PBAX league but I'll pay a smaller fee since I won't be playing for money with the adults.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#56018 - 05/06/08 10:58 AM Re: My first video. [Re: Jay R.]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Quote:
Yep, I've read almost all of Ron's tips plus his Breakpoint Target articles and I can do the cupping exercise in the Release tip, but it takes a lot of effort while it seems easy for him.

You might want to invest in a 5 lb dumbbell and do some wrist curls forward and backward as well as stretches to help strengthen your wrist which will make it easier to maintain your wrist position. Slower and under control with more reps is better than fast and more weight.

#56043 - 05/06/08 06:46 PM Re: My first video. [Re: CoachJim]
Jay R. Offline
Legend

I have been doing wrist curls from time to time for the past few days actually, but with 10 pounds. I'm not sure if that's wise or if it doesn't matter. But I think I should have 5lb around somewhere, even 8lb maybe. Do I just want to do it until my wrist gets tired or even past that? I don't want to get carpol tunnel trying to do this since I haven't had it yet.

#56095 - 05/07/08 08:26 AM Re: My first video. [Re: Jay R.]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

10 lb dumbbell will work as long as you can handle the weight. It has to be slow and under control the whole rep up and down, if this feels difficult or you can't get 10 reps with this amount of weight, then you should go with a lesser weight.

#56277 - 05/08/08 11:46 PM Re: My first video. [Re: CoachJim]
Jay R. Offline
Legend

I worked with a coach today in hopes of gaining better timing and leverage. We changed a few things and I'd say we were pretty successful as long as I executed correctly. Unfortunately I didn't video tape it but I'm hoping to on saturday at league again.

#56294 - 05/09/08 08:13 AM Re: My first video. [Re: Jay R.]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

What did your coach tell you to do?

#56342 - 05/09/08 06:53 PM Re: My first video. [Re: CoachJim]
Jay R. Offline
Legend

I hold the ball about chest high, speed my feet up a bit, and drop the ball to the bottom of my swing on the third step rather than focusing a whole lot on a pushaway. This gives the ball a natural backswing height rather than me having to help it a little when I was holding it waist high. Also, he had me hold my blance arm low in front of me and move it to my side as I come through the shot. Before, my arm was way up there. The last thing he did was make my trail leg not go too far to the left or in the air, and having me plant it more. That way my hips don't open up even more at the line, which is what caused me to miss right in one or two of my shots in the video.

#56353 - 05/10/08 12:47 AM Re: My first video. [Re: Jay R.]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

Quote:
I hold the ball about chest high, speed my feet up a bit, and drop the ball to the bottom of my swing on the third step rather than focusing a whole lot on a pushaway. This gives the ball a natural backswing height rather than me having to help it a little when I was holding it waist high.

It also helps to think of it as starting over a bar about 4" higher than where the ball is in your stance (it doesn't matter what height you have the ball as you will lower it later for slowing the speed down in future lessons) and push the ball over the bar and let it drop into the swing. If you looked at this push away from the side it goes slightly up then drops into the swing it is more of a rounded shape, it feels pretty vertical though so if that is what it feels like then you are doing it properly. The slight push up helps with timing since there is a natural pause even for a slight split second when the swing starts, that the slight upward motion will help set the swing in better time with your feet.

You can practice this at home by getting the ball in your stance and step with your right foot and push the ball slightly up, then back into your stance then step with the right foot and push slightly up then let the ball drop into the swing then repeat it again.

The balance arm will take a while to get used to, mostly because as soon as you stop paying attention to it it will revert back to where it was, so stay on this as long as it takes, the same with your trail leg.

It sounds like you found a good coach, work on these things, take them one at a time and make sure you do them all the time without reverting back. Let me know if I can be of further help, good luck.

#56356 - 05/10/08 02:55 AM Re: My first video. [Re: CoachJim]
Jay R. Offline
Legend

Yeah, from the practice that I was doing with him, I already like the balance arm and trail leg idea. And like you said I have to pay as much attention to them as possible, or something in my body will make me automatically revert to the old way.

As for the pushaway, the way I was doing it before it just felt so long and dragged out but it felt too weird not to do it at the same time, and I literally pushed away instead of up like you were saying. Now it feels a little more natural, and I can tell if it's because of the height in my stance or because I'm not actually pushing it out like I was before.

I agree that this coach is good, and it's a cool thing because I've even known him for about 3 years because his son is in youth with me, plus my dad bowled with him when they were kids. I have league tomorrow and I will try to maintain these techniques as much as I can.

#56877 - 05/17/08 11:31 PM Re: My first video. [Re: Jay R.]
Worm27 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 32/M/WA
My plans are just to bowl in a fun friday nighter with my wife and a buddy. I play 4+ days of softball a week in the summer so bowling is kind of my second love in the hot season. Next year I plan on bowling two leagues. I might join the Monday league at Narrows. It is the manager's league and the prize fund is huge. If I don't bowl in that league on Mondays, I am going to join Pacific's PBA experience league. Also, I will probably bowl on a wed or thur at Pacific in a fun league with the wife. Right now, I feel like I am finally putting everything together. I signed up for a filming/coaching session on June 3 where you get video'd and they offer you some tips to help your game. Hopefully, there won't be a huge amount of issues that I need to fix.
16 lb Brunswick Avalanche Solid

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Friends made a dumb bet
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:50 PM
Difference between shammy & microfiber towel
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:49 PM
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - 11/19/19 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.