BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#55682 - 04/30/08 09:39 PM Help Please
madaba Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: M - Indiana
This year has been a big struggle after taking a few years off from bowling. I haven't had a comfortable swing all year but not until the last month or two have I really tried to improve om things so I can take my bowling to another level, hopefully. I posted a thread a few weeks ago about rolling over my thumb and finger holes, which was fixed for a week or so, but now i'm back to it again. I've been trying to study and read all the information I can, and take notes from other people's critique threads, but i'm struggle quite a bit. Although I'm looking into finding a coach, I would like any imput I can get.
Thanks

The video is a little dark, and that was the best angle I could get, because of the lighting to one side and a team on the other.
Storm Street Rod Pearl
Brunswick Target Zone

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#55688 - 04/30/08 10:40 PM Re: Help Please [Re: madaba]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
madaba, the first thing I noticed was your timing. Your feet get to the line ahead of the ball. You then pull the ball through to catch up, pulling it across in the meantime. You also seem to grip the ball by hanging on to it too long resulting in a late loft.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#55693 - 05/01/08 06:26 AM Re: Help Please [Re: madaba]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
I see your biggest problem is that you follow the ball down from the push away. As the ball drops into the swing, so does your upper body, you have to let the ball swing from your shoulder and not with your upper body. The usual reason for this is a ball that doesn't fit your hand so that it will hang onto your hand instead of you having to squeeze it to hang onto it.

When I see people who follow the ball down with their upper body, they have trust issues and control issues mentally, they have trouble just letting the ball swing without helping it along. The usual culprit is a bad fit with too much reverse pitch in the thumb hole. What happens if they just relax their hand and swing the ball from the shoulder, the ball falls off their hand, this causes them to squeeze and catch the ball so it doesn't fall off their hand, and is a never ending cycle until they get their grip fixed.

#55706 - 05/01/08 08:42 AM Re: Help Please [Re: CoachJim]
madaba Offline
Junior Master

I know my thumb has a reverse pitch of 3/16", what would you suggest I go to? I have a span of 4-1/2" / 4-5/8" to the middle of my 1st and 2nd knuckle.
I really appreciate the comments/help
Storm Street Rod Pearl
Brunswick Target Zone

#55711 - 05/01/08 09:40 AM Re: Help Please [Re: madaba]
Matrix900 Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 32/m/Canton, OH
When I had my thumb pitch looked at by my driller, I asked him what the current pitch was. He told me it was something reverse( I don't remember exact number). I told him I wanted to try some more forward pitch in the thumb to free up my armswing. He looked at my thumb and told me I could goto 1/2" forward. I love it now and it seems to have improved my grip a bunch. The forward pitch in your thumb is dependent on your specific thumb so, I would have a trusted driller look at your thumb and suggest a pitch.

I was reading a website or in an BTM article, don't remember which, and it suggested that most people can goto 1/2" forward with a little bit of coaching. I think it was Ron Clifton but, I'm not sure.
15lb White Dot

Current Avg 201

Career
Game - 288
Series - 755

Season
Game - 255
Series - 660

#55712 - 05/01/08 10:00 AM Re: Help Please [Re: Matrix900]
madaba Offline
Junior Master

I know Ron C recommends having a foward pitch. Should I try to make a big jump to 1/4" foward, for example, or try moving up in small increments?

Storm Street Rod Pearl
Brunswick Target Zone

#55713 - 05/01/08 10:08 AM Re: Help Please [Re: madaba]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

I have not seen anyone that couldn't get out of 3/8 forward, so I would start there, you need to keep going forward with the thumb until your thumb hangs in the hole, then back off 1/8". You can go forward in smaller increments, but it will take longer and cost you more money and you will probably still end up at least 3/8" forward or more by the time you are done.

I have found that 3/8" forward gives you a good starting point and prevents you from knuckling the thumb in just a few shots, after that your hand will learn to relax, then the thumb might start slipping again, when this happens you need to go at least another 1/8 to 1/4 forward. Just make sure your span is right, it may measure out different than it fits, so make sure your fingernails aren't pressing into the back of the finger holes, if they are, shorten the span a little.

One more reminder that if and when you go forward, relax your hand and make sure you don't knuckle the ball or you will injure yourself, so be careful the first few shots maybe do a one step delivery until you get comfortable with it.

#55715 - 05/01/08 10:28 AM Re: Help Please [Re: CoachJim]
madaba Offline
Junior Master

I appreciate the help Jim. I will hopefully try and have one done this week or weekend. I will post back with the results and new a vid to see where I need to go from here.
Storm Street Rod Pearl
Brunswick Target Zone

#55717 - 05/01/08 10:32 AM Re: Help Please [Re: madaba]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

Be careful I don't want to see you with a hammer ball for a hat. If it comes off your hand one time then the next time it hangs, that is because you squeezed it, you may experience this for a while until your subconscious stops squeezing the ball. Good Luck and post a video, good or bad so I can see how you are doing.

#55720 - 05/01/08 10:49 AM Re: Help Please [Re: CoachJim]
madaba Offline
Junior Master

Ok, Will do
Thank You
Storm Street Rod Pearl
Brunswick Target Zone

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - 08/22/19 03:14 PM
2019 Summer Leagues
by Dennis Michael - 08/15/19 08:37 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Dennis Michael - 08/13/19 07:06 PM
Last Online 10 days ago
by BOSStull - 08/10/19 10:03 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.