BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#55336 - 04/25/08 04:08 PM Re: I may be done with plastic balls. [Re: Brandon510]
eastwest Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: No. VA
I completely agree with the psychological aspect of spare shooting. Bowling in general, is very mental; but spare shooting even more so, in my opinion. When I feel good about the ball's reaction and am confident, I make 95% of my spares.
------------
R.I.P. DC ABT Chapter >:-|
------------
My 6th-Round.com MMA news and opinion site

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#55337 - 04/25/08 04:17 PM Re: I may be done with plastic balls. [Re: Brandon510]
Matrix900 Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 32/m/Canton, OH
I use a spare ball to limit the time my strike balls see friction. In almost everything in the world friction destroys things over time. I use my spare ball to try and maximize the life of my strike balls. Do I have the ability to throw my strike ball with no side rotation?....yes. I roll my white dot end over end, right over the holes.

Spare shooting in my eyes is more mental than physical so, If you believe you will do better shooting spares with your strike ball, I would do that. There is nothing worse than getting up on the approach to setup for a 10 pin and thinking to yourself, is this ball going to come off my hand clean? is it going to stick on my thumb? Am I going to miss my mark because, I don't like the feel of this ball? Any kind of mental doubt on the approach is going to cause tension in your muscles which, will make it hard to make a consistent free arm swing.
15lb White Dot

Current Avg 201

Career
Game - 288
Series - 755

Season
Game - 255
Series - 660

#55339 - 04/25/08 05:25 PM Re: I may be done with plastic balls. [Re: Matrix900]
AmpleSound Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 34/M/CO
I use my spare (plastic) ball because it takes any lane conditions out of play. Plus it saves me money in not having to buy new reactive balls every few months because they're loaded with a ton of lane oil. If you're having troubles picking up your 1 or 2 pin leaves, maybe it's something in your approach, and has nothing to do with the ball. Check to see if you're keeping your head still throughout your approach. I know that's what throws off my spare percentage 95% of the time.
Columbia Plastic - (Spares/Dry)

My best:
HGS - 300
HSS - 769

#55345 - 04/25/08 07:10 PM Re: I may be done with plastic balls. [Re: AmpleSound]
Satyuros Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 19/m/Alberta Canada
If I was sponsered, or had a lot of money to constantly replace bowling balls, I wouldn't use a spareball. I throw my spareball at about 20+ mph for spare pickups, so I have no problem using a strike ball. But I ball on lanes that are pretty rough, so I couldn't stand the thought of using my gravity shift as a spare ball, or anything like that. It really is just a mental thing. A guy in my Pro Shop has a rotogrip sponser, and he just hucks whatever he's using as a strike ball, doesn't phase him at all. It's definately just mental.
Storm T-road Pearl
Ebonite Maxim Blazing Fire
Hammer Black Widow Venom
Morich Seek and Destroy(old)

High Single: 300
High Series: 747
League Average: 209

#55361 - 04/25/08 10:54 PM Re: I may be done with plastic balls. [Re: Satyuros]
Chubbs Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 30/M/Niceville, FL
The house that I've learned to bowl in over the last 8 months has been having trouble with their lane conditioner, and the lanes have often been toasted from the heads on back. When all else failed, out came the trusty White Dot. While it deflects and lacks carry, knowing you can find the pocket and picking up 5's and 10's is preferable to worrying about what your going to leave the next time your weakest strike ball goes through the face. When I miss a single pin with the White Dot, I know I have nothing to blame but me and as a developing bowler that's a good thing.

Quintana...that creep can roll, man. -Dude

Wow, that ball hit like it was plastic. -Jeff Carter

#55364 - 04/25/08 11:09 PM Re: I may be done with plastic balls. [Re: Chubbs]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
As many guys in my Tuesday league have proved in a light/short oil house, and millions of bowlers over 30 years ago, plastic can carry very well even in oil. I actually threw it some today on lanes there were freshly oiled when I got there and I put a few games on before using the plastic. Throwing it as a strike ball it hit hard and put all 10 in the pit besides the very bad shots. I'd still use my Groove Urethane first as its the same core just a coverstock that grips a little more. I liked the reaction better than what my high end reactions have been doing.
HS:763

#55485 - 04/28/08 10:44 AM Re: I may be done with plastic balls. [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Robowlcop Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 26/M/Stephenville, TX
I want to thank everyone for pitching in their wide ranging opinions and experiences on this topic. Once again these forums don't fail to deliver with some excellent advice!

My conclusion for now is to continue with my strike balls, as I'm mainly throwing starter equipment (some is used) and I haven't settled into EXACTLY what I need yet and I have a lot of learning to do, so I feel that I will be going through a lot of equipment for a year or so (or longer) anyway. That being said, I think it's okay for me to put a little more wear on my strike balls considering that I will be buying more soon anyway.

General Pounder: it was also good to hear another opinion and maybe I'm not alone in the negative sentiments regarding the Maxim spare balls.

Cheers everyone!

15# Track Kinetic
15# Ebonite Maxim Spare Ball

#55488 - 04/28/08 10:52 AM Re: I may be done with plastic balls. [Re: Robowlcop]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
Robowlcop:

My problems came from the way it was drilled. It never felt right. When I first got it, I loved it. I used to bowl on a shot that was really burned on the outsides so I would use it as my strike ball on occasion. First night with it I shot 620. About a year later, I changed my span and I had it redrilled. From then on, it never felt right. I don't know what it was. It wasn't the ball, it was the drill (for me anyway).

#55489 - 04/28/08 11:10 AM Re: I may be done with plastic balls. [Re: General Pounder]
Robowlcop Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 26/M/Stephenville, TX
Fair enough, and thanks for the clarification.
15# Track Kinetic
15# Ebonite Maxim Spare Ball

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
no one on for 5 days
by 82Boat69 - 0 seconds ago
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by 6_ball_man - Today at 08:42 AM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by 6_ball_man - Today at 08:29 AM
True Motion vs. Black Widow Urethane
by Mkirchie - 05/20/18 07:28 AM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Dennis Michael - 05/12/18 06:43 PM
For the good of the sport?
by Dennis Michael - 04/29/18 10:29 PM
Superstitions?
by Dennis Michael - 04/26/18 06:09 PM
Better Polish
by BOSStull - 04/24/18 12:24 PM
I'm pizzed at my ball driller
by 82Boat69 - 04/24/18 09:55 AM
Some awful lane conditions
by 82Boat69 - 04/24/18 06:46 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.