BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#55379 - 04/26/08 08:20 AM Balance issues, what else can get better?
Chubbs Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 30/M/Niceville, FL
Right now I'm using some $25 shoes that I bought over here and the slide shoe is a little slicker than I'd like. Hoping some shoes with interchangeable soles will help get me more stable at the finish where there are some obvious balance problems. What else do you guys see? Feel free to wail away, you won't hurt my feelings. In this clip, I've got my feet on 20 and I'm looking at the reflection of the top of the 10 pin. Thanks, fellahs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUo4-bYeIWU

Edited by Chubbs (04/26/08 08:21 AM)

Quintana...that creep can roll, man. -Dude

Wow, that ball hit like it was plastic. -Jeff Carter

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#55384 - 04/26/08 08:56 AM Re: Balance issues, what else can get better? [Re: Chubbs]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Chubbs, if you are looking at the 10 pin reflection, you didn't roll at it. Check your hand at release. Seems your rotation started way before that. Your hand comes out on the side of the ball, and your follow through is across our face. Your arm and hand should finish pointing at your target.

Your slide finished at about 30, which says your drifted left, while targeting right. Walk directly at your target and reach for it at the release.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#55385 - 04/26/08 09:02 AM Re: Balance issues, what else can get better? [Re: Dennis Michael]
Chubbs Offline
Team USA Contender

That makes sense since my typical miss is a nasty pull. Good stuff Dennis, thanks. Keep it coming guys!

Edited by Chubbs (04/26/08 09:05 AM)

#55390 - 04/26/08 09:51 AM Re: Balance issues, what else can get better? [Re: Chubbs]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Chubbs, over all you are not to bad, your balance problems come from the cheap shoes over sliding and your right foot sliding instead of grabbing. Higher quality shoes like the ABS shoes you should look into getting while over in Korea, have a rubber sole on the right foot that help you push into the slide and maintain your balance by keeping your slide under your body and toward your target line. The shoes you have you will need to go much slower to gain the traction you need with your right foot, which is a shame since I like the speed of your approach, it may be a little fast, but it is not like you are running to the line like many of the videos we have seen.

#55392 - 04/26/08 10:23 AM Re: Balance issues, what else can get better? [Re: CoachJim]
Chubbs Offline
Team USA Contender

Thanks Jim, glad to know that the shoes are not just a lame excuse. I've had some Dexter SST-5's on order for weeks from the Pro Shop here on base, but I'm giving up hope of them getting here before I leave. I try to be slower in my approach and then push off more assertively with my right foot, but as you can see it just doesn't happen.

I'm still trying to figure out good timing between my arm swing and steps. Some days are better than others, but hopefully better balance will help with that as well.

#55393 - 04/26/08 10:40 AM Re: Balance issues, what else can get better? [Re: Chubbs]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Have someone or a tripod stand 2 or 3 lanes away at the foul line looking at you from the right side so I can see you from head to toe all the way through the approach and I will be able to tell you more about your timing.

I didn't see a major issue with it from behind, but that doesn't really show the relationship between the feet and the swing.

It is hard to get any leverage from your legs if your feet are slipping out from under you, so try slowing down and slide more deliberately toward your target line until your dexters get there.

#55395 - 04/26/08 10:49 AM Re: Balance issues, what else can get better? [Re: CoachJim]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Chubbs, can you rough up your shoe soles with a wire brush. Brush across the sole, not lengthwise. It may give you more traction rather than slide.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#55405 - 04/26/08 11:57 AM Re: Balance issues, what else can get better? [Re: Chubbs]
johnw1 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 66/m/Wynantskill/ny/usa
Chubbs,
You have a nice delivery up until you get to the foul line where, as you say, you have a balance problem. I like your drop-away/no pushaway on the 3rd step of your 5 step delivery. I may adopt that method someday. It's reminiscent of Earl Anthony.

As far as your balance problem is concerned I think if you work on developing a deeper knee bend your balance problem will be solved. Currently by having such a shallow knee bend your center of gravity is too high and the effort of putting revs on the ball is enough to tip you to the right just after you release the ball.

#55427 - 04/26/08 09:38 PM Re: Balance issues, what else can get better? [Re: johnw1]
Chubbs Offline
Team USA Contender

Lots of good stuff to work on here, thanks guys. Jim, I'll see about getting some shots from the angle you asked for. Appreciate the knowledge!

#55430 - 04/27/08 12:37 AM Re: Balance issues, what else can get better? [Re: Chubbs]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Better shoes will help, but your foot work is so fast that you get to the foul line way before the ball (your armswing). so you need to do one of two things...slow down your armswing or speed up your footwork.

I see a lot of people that have very good balance (once taught) with economy level shoes. Your balance issues will not be automatically solved by good shoes, but they will help.

Learning the one step drill will help your balance more then buying a new pair of shoes.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qOtMdnwE1yQ&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qOtMdnwE1yQ&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object> Go to 1.32

If you cannot paste this mumbo jumbo, then do a youtube search for Tony Reyes and look for the skills challenge. I can also tell you that he's used this skill on numerous challenges and has yet to be matched. No one, not even PBA bowlers, apparently, are competant in the one step drill. But it will teach you about balance.

Erin

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by SteveH - 09/17/19 11:06 AM
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - 09/12/19 12:24 AM
USBC Rule 12
by Dennis Michael - 09/10/19 07:26 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Mkirchie - 09/03/19 03:33 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.