BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#54886 - 04/18/08 01:59 AM What Route Would You Take?
puffer Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 40/ M / Wisconsin
Here's my dilema - For the last three weeks at league I have been bombing the 3rd game. The first 2 games I'm in the 200's but as soon as I hit the third game things go down hill fast for me. I leave a ton of 6 - 10 splits and hit the head pin light. I've been giving this alot of thought lately as to why this is and I believe the reason is because of the lanes breaking down.

Currently I have a high rev rate and around 14 mph ball speed at the pin deck. Due to this combination I play inside and throw to the outside - usually start around th 40 boars throwing out to about 7 - 10 or.

By the second game I'm moving about 5 boards left and send it out to the 12 board. Problem is that by the 3rd game I can't move any further left because of the ball return and every time I try moving outside and chang my hand position to play a little straighter - my ball hits way brooklyn missing the head pin altogether.

After reviewing my equipment - I noticed that all the balls that I have are pretty aggressive and hook like crazy. My question is should I polish my MoRich equipment to tame them down a bit or get a less aggressive ball for broken down lane conditions. Something that I could play a little straighter with.

I've been looking at Rotogrips Pluto - thinking this ball would
fill the gap nicely and I could polish it as well.

Also, my equipment is drilled:

Awesome Finish - Pin above and centered between fingers
NSane - Pin above and to the right of ring finger
Cell- Pin above ring finger
Mytic - Pin below ring finger
Tropical- Pin to the right of ring finger

Thanks for your helpwith this one.

15# Lane #1 Blue Death
15# Track 920A
15# Track Kinetic Energy
14# Storm Reign of Fire
14# Track 505C

High Game 279

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#54887 - 04/18/08 02:12 AM Re: What Route Would You Take? [Re: puffer]
Brandon510 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 28/Male/California/Philippines
Doesnt hurt to expeirement with surface adjustment you always can bring it back to oob if you dont like the reaction. Have you ever tried throwing your tropical storm on the last game?

My friend high rev player he has Vibe drilled very weak to combat dry condtions i beleive he put the pin above his middle finger.

BowlSk: Stats

#54889 - 04/18/08 02:20 AM Re: What Route Would You Take? [Re: Brandon510]
puffer Offline
Bracket Donor

Thanks Brandon

I bought the Tropical to shoot spares - boy what a mistake. This thing hooks like mad - even when I come up the back this ball still wants to hook. I like using a hook ball to shoot spares on the left side of the deck - anything to the right I shoot straight.
15# Lane #1 Blue Death
15# Track 920A
15# Track Kinetic Energy
14# Storm Reign of Fire
14# Track 505C

High Game 279

#54891 - 04/18/08 07:54 AM Re: What Route Would You Take? [Re: puffer]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
Might be time to learn how to play in front of the ball return... 2 options. Learn a figure 8 swing, and how to drift around it (a la PDW) Or, learn a 3 step approach (TJ, Robert Smith, etc).

Or get a weak ball, or in practice, find your normal line to the pocket, then move right 15 boards and figure out what to do to strike. Axis rotation, targetting, speed, loft, ball change are all adjustments to think about. I wrote an article about axis rotation adjustment here: http://cmgbb.wordpress.com/2008/04/03/axis-rotation/

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#54894 - 04/18/08 08:41 AM Re: What Route Would You Take? [Re: cgeorg]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: m/ Michigan
Polishing a ball might be the answer, try it and see what happens. It looks like all your balls are simular, and the Pluto I believe is another ball that is like what you have. If you like Roto-Grip the Neptune or Venus might be better suited.

I also have the Mystic that I keep polished. I have good success playing straight up the 5 board with it. You have to experiment with hand position, but playing there (5board) has been a good option for me. Ball goes long and snaps at the end, and carries well. The Mystic is a pearl particle, but by keeping the ball highly polished I get the reaction I am looking for.

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#54902 - 04/18/08 12:11 PM Re: What Route Would You Take? [Re: puffer]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
The problem sounds like you are ripping through the shot at the release. If you were truly keeping your hand behind the ball and not turning it as much, your ball would not snap so hard on the back end. I suggest using less finger pressure and stop trying to hook the snot out of the ball, learn to be nice to it at the release and stop throwing it hard, throwing the ball hard makes your hand go through the ball faster which makes it rev up faster and hook sooner. Just scoot the ball to your target, you don't need to move right, if you have a good line to the pocket the first and second game, you can still play that same line just learn to adjust your release.

#54951 - 04/19/08 11:36 AM Re: What Route Would You Take? [Re: CoachJim]
Smooth Stroker Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 45/M/Long Island
First of all, I would make sure your armswing is as smooth as possible. No hitches in your armswing. Second, I would try to raise the ball in your pushaway. third I would try to move back on approach. This is to sync your armswing to the higher pushaway. Fourth, I would try to keep your hand in the same position for the whole armswing. This will even out the balls reaction in the backend. Fifth, I would move my fingers in closer together. Move the pinky and index finger closer to the middle fingers. This will help to kill some of the revs. Sixth. I would bend my wrist back. Break your wrist back so that it isn't cupped or straight. This will kill plenty of revs. Seventh, I would invest in a RotoGrip Neptune. Excellent for lighter oil.

Keep your arsenal simple so you can be ready for anything.
Two ball arsenal
Low rg/med diff matte ball
High rg/ low diff pearl ball

Three ball arsenal
low rg/high diff matte ball
Med rg/ med diff matte
high rg/ low diff pearl ball

Four ball arsenal
Low rg/high diff matte ball
Med rg/med diff particle pearl
high rg/ high diff pearl ball
high rg/ low diff pearl ball

Add a spare to any of these. With this type of set up, your ready for whatever the lanes throw at you. Always keep a highly polished ball that will get down the lane.

I also don't see why the Tropical wouldn't work for the shot you are playing. It would certainly work better than the other balls you have.

One last piece of advice. Keep the ball close to your slide leg on release. it helps to get your ball farther to the right.

IQ Tour Fusion
IQ Tour anniversary edition
Lights Out
Natural

USBC level 1 certified coach

#54976 - 04/19/08 08:19 PM Re: What Route Would You Take? [Re: Smooth Stroker]
untutored Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 35/m/arizona
My guess is, it would be easiest to buy a less aggressive ball, take it out of your bag when you run out of room on the left side, and move your starting position closer to the center, for a straighter shot.

My medium-oil ball is a Brunswick Urethane Groove; I'd recommend that ball for you, since your Tropical is over-hooking. I also have a Target Zone with a weight hole drilled in the side, and the other thing I like to do on medium-dry conditions is stand on the right side of the approach and zoom that ball between the first and second arrows.

#54995 - 04/20/08 04:00 AM Re: What Route Would You Take? [Re: untutored]
puffer Offline
Bracket Donor

Wow thanks for all the great advice. Couple things - I do keep my wrist slightly cupped during the release but my hand does not rotate. I'm going to try relaxing my wrist so the ball rolls off it more smoothly. Also, I'm going to try different hand positions - fingers less spread apart and see if this will tame down the hook.

If this doesn't work I'll polish up my Mystic and repeat the above hand positions. And lastly if all else fails I 'll look into getting another ball (like I need another bowling ball.) seeingstars

Maybe I could sell my Cell and make room for it. I don't seem to use this ball at all. Just a thought.

Again - thanks so much for all the advice. I'm bowling tomorrow and will post my results.
15# Lane #1 Blue Death
15# Track 920A
15# Track Kinetic Energy
14# Storm Reign of Fire
14# Track 505C

High Game 279

#55025 - 04/20/08 10:46 PM Re: What Route Would You Take? [Re: puffer]
puffer Offline
Bracket Donor

Here's an update. I bowled a 257, 253, and a 218 tonight. Finally out of the 3rd game slump. In the 3rd game I relaxed my hand a bit and threw at the 20 out to the 15. So I straightened out my shot considerably. I also increased my ball speed slightly.

This approach seemed to work great for me on the ball return lane. I still stood in the same spot ( about 43 ) and used my Awesome Finish for that lane. I used the NSane on the other lane standing at about 48 and rolled it between 15 and 20 out to about 7 and it held for most the night. I only had to move about 4 boards left the whole night.

Thanks again guys for your help - it's amazing what a little less hand will do for you on broken down lanes
15# Lane #1 Blue Death
15# Track 920A
15# Track Kinetic Energy
14# Storm Reign of Fire
14# Track 505C

High Game 279

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Dennis Michael - Today at 03:49 PM
I'm pizzed at my ball driller
by Dennis Michael - 04/14/18 04:37 PM
Better Polish
by W9JAB - 04/14/18 09:03 AM
Recommendations requested
by BOSStull - 04/14/18 08:34 AM
It can't come fast enough
by BOSStull - 04/14/18 08:21 AM
Original Gamebreaker
by BOSStull - 04/14/18 07:28 AM
Some awful lane conditions
by Jason_C - 04/09/18 07:08 AM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by champ - 04/07/18 08:39 PM
A question of degrees
by Fin09 - 04/06/18 01:28 PM
The final cut (Balls in the bag and their job)
by mmalsed - 04/04/18 12:09 PM
For the good of the sport?
by Dylan585 - 03/31/18 11:30 PM
12 pound ball?
by Jason_C - 03/30/18 12:02 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.