BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#5496 - 02/21/04 10:47 AM Minors In a Sanctioned League
dreama Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 17- Female
I was just wondering whether you guys had any opinions on minors (under 18) bowling in a sanctioned league, other than YABA. Do you think its fair competition, or should they wait until their time comes?

Did you bring me chocolate?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#5497 - 02/23/04 08:38 AM Re: Minors In a Sanctioned League
Coachrich Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: Chesterland, Ohio
The YABA has alot to offer in the way of scholorships, scratch and handicap tournaments, lower league fees, like-age companionships and a somewhat healthier atmosphere (no smoking, alcohol or foul languge permitted.)

#5498 - 02/23/04 08:39 AM Re: Minors In a Sanctioned League
Coachrich Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: Chesterland, Ohio
Can you tell I didn't get a free ride to college? I can't spell 'scholarships'! nut

#5499 - 02/23/04 07:16 PM Re: Minors In a Sanctioned League
dreama Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 17- Female
Ok, but what if they arent being challenged in YABA, or just dont want to bowl there. I am familar with the league. All-in-all, should they wait?

Did you bring me chocolate?

#5500 - 02/23/04 07:29 PM Re: Minors In a Sanctioned League
The Fish Bowl Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: My owner's desk
Personally I don't think anyone under 18 should be allowed in ABC/WIBC leagues. I also think its creepy when (non-disabled) 18+ year olds stay in YABA until they're 22 (or is it 23?)

Fishy hasn't had a night out in a long time. Please donate using PAYPAL! ;-)

#5501 - 02/26/04 12:44 PM Re: Minors In a Sanctioned League
Treez Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 31/m/cleveland
I personally feel that if a person is under 18 and has permission from their legal guardian then it should not be a problem. Many times a youngster might have a different agenda than college and feel that they are ready now. I do know of a youngster who is in two of my leagues and he bowls pretty well. He carries his self fine and actually has one of the higher avg. in the league. So if its ok by the guardian (parent) then who are we to take that decision from them? jmo.

#5502 - 02/26/04 09:49 PM Re: Minors In a Sanctioned League
SoCalBoomer Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: Claremont California
We've had young bowlers subbing in our Scratch league for quite a while. Nothing big about it. We do make sure that it's all good with the parents, etc. and we don't use little kids (not really cool with a scratch league).

Why not? If they can handle it, go for it.

#5503 - 03/01/04 12:58 AM Re: Minors In a Sanctioned League
Buga Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: Tucson, AZ
I know when I was 17 I wasn't able to bowl in the Mens adult league here until I was 18. I carried a 180 avg in a different league in the same house and it made no difference. I basically grew up in this alley and my coach and league coordinator frowned on it. Once I turned 18 tho, I joined that league and shot a 190 avg. I'm almost 20 now and now that I look back I really prospered from waiting. It's a lot different now not seeing my coach everytime I bowl so it makes it a little more difficult when I start making mistakes. It paid off in the long run tho.

#5504 - 04/08/04 10:10 AM Re: Minors In a Sanctioned League
emperor Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 27/M/Bronx, NY
I would be against the whole thing. There is something to be said about precocious kids trying to be adults... most of the time, they can't cut it.

The NBA drafts kids out of high school, which I disagree with. With exception to a few players, ie T-Mac, KG, Kobe, LeBron, a lot of guys just waste their talent away. I say go to college, win a championship or get a degree then go pro. I think there is some time needed for maturation.

Would it be ok for a minor to vote for president? To consume alcohol or smoke (altough this happens all the time)? To have children?

I know a 15 year old kid, who is good, 190 avg, threw a few 300's, in an adult league. He's doing very well...

I forgot where I was going with this...

#5505 - 04/09/04 09:08 AM Re: Minors In a Sanctioned League
CVSoprano Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 32 / M / Kathleen GA
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Originally posted by The Fish Bowl:
Personally I don't think anyone under 18 should be allowed in ABC/WIBC leagues. I also think its creepy when (non-disabled) 18+ year olds stay in YABA until they're 22 (or is it 23?) </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">For some of us who didn't start bowling until age 20 and didn't want to be self-taught (and also happened to have an 18-yr old girlfriend bowling in YABA -- beside the point) -- YABA was a blessing. For everything I've accomplished to date, I credit to that single year in spent learning the RIGHT way to bowl.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
End of Days
by steveA - 10/16/19 06:00 PM
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by BOSStull - 10/04/19 06:17 PM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by BOSStull - 09/22/19 11:01 AM
USBC Rule 12
by BOSStull - 09/22/19 10:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.