BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#54738 - 04/15/08 04:20 PM Re: 14lb Vs 15lb Bowling Balls [Re: sixbagger]
Byrd Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: 23/Male/Georgia
Brandon510 & Sixbagger, I completely agree with both of you. I was starting to even doubt myself, when it came to thinking about switching weights. I don't have a huge carry issue, in which if I did, then I would seriously consider going up in weight. I have a few issues with carry at times, but unless it gets worse, I'm going to stay with throwing my 14lb bowling balls and just ignore the people that are trying to get me to switch.
Lane #1, Morich, Storm, Lane Masters, & Roto Grip.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#54740 - 04/15/08 05:13 PM Re: 14lb Vs 15lb Bowling Balls [Re: Byrd]
eastwest Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: No. VA
Do what works for you :-D
------------
R.I.P. DC ABT Chapter >:-|
------------
My 6th-Round.com MMA news and opinion site

#54746 - 04/15/08 05:31 PM Re: 14lb Vs 15lb Bowling Balls [Re: eastwest]
Jbigdog Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 27/M/Boise, ID
10 years ago ball weight made much more difference than it does now. With today's coverstocks and core technology there is little difference between 14, 15 and 16# balls as far as carry goes. Strokers will see more of a difference than crankers, but not enough to make a drastic change, especially if you risk injury because of it.
White Dot (FUBAR lanes and Spares)
Silencer (Retired, but in the trunk just in case)
AMForce 1 (Retired, but in the trunk just in case)

#54752 - 04/15/08 06:43 PM Re: 14lb Vs 15lb Bowling Balls [Re: Jbigdog]
RLD Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: Pinoy-Guamie on the Bay
It's not worth changing if it means one's health. Did you watch last week's Trick Shot Competition where Walter Ray attempted the "flying eagle" and successfully hit the 10 pin on the right lane, however his ball deflected too much and missed the 7 pin on the lane he was bowling? Chris Barnes made a comment in reference to Walter Ray using a 15 lb ball compared to the 16 lbs most of the pros were using. ball

#54757 - 04/15/08 09:18 PM Re: 14lb Vs 15lb Bowling Balls [Re: RLD]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
You will have to remember that for shooting trick shots. I wouldn't attempt the 5-7-10 without a 6lb ball. Just remember deflection can work for or against you, the stronger the ball the more deflection you need so the ball doesn't drive past the 9 all night.

#54769 - 04/16/08 01:22 AM Re: 14lb Vs 15lb Bowling Balls [Re: CoachJim]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
If you are potentially going to injure yourself by throwing X weight vs Y weight, then you need to do what's right for you, though I would make sure with a Dr's advise that what you are doing is right. Afterall, maybe your wrist is so weakened by your injury that you shouldn't be bowling at all.

All I know is that heavier balls carry better. That's providing you are delivering them with a good basic release. Most people drop in weight due to injury or age. There's no good or bad answer, only if you can continue to enjoy the sport.

Some people believe that they will gain revolutions if they drop weight. That's only true for those with good coaching. It just doesn't happen. And I can also vouch that gaining ball weight doesn't automatically slow your ball speed down. I also know that muscling the ball tends to create more stress on the various muscles from shoulder to fingers. So an arm swing that's as free as possible would also be condusive to using heavier ball weights; IMO. Vis versa, a more muscled swing will create more strain no matter what weight you are throwing.

Erin

#54770 - 04/16/08 03:02 AM Re: 14lb Vs 15lb Bowling Balls [Re: Atochabsh]
puffer Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 40/ M / Wisconsin
Hey Byrd

After moving from 15lbs to 14lbs I have found that my game improved dramatically. I now am able to have better control especially during my release. This results in more accuracy and higher scores. I use to struggle physically with 15lbs. My wrist was always sore and cracked constantly after I bowled. Since I switched I no longer have those wrist issues. As far as carry issues - if I hit my target I crush the pins - even light hits results in strikes.

All in all if you're comfortable with 14lbs - I would stay there and not listen to your friends.
15# Lane #1 Blue Death
15# Track 920A
15# Track Kinetic Energy
14# Storm Reign of Fire
14# Track 505C

High Game 279

#54771 - 04/16/08 05:05 AM Re: 14lb Vs 15lb Bowling Balls [Re: puffer]
brettbolt Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: California
Byrd,

It sounds like you've already made up your mind to stick with 14 pound balls.

I am 50, have a badly injured right hand, and still use 16 pound balls. I have bowled for about 1 1/2 years and have noticed a big improvement in my finger and wrist strength.

I guess what I'm saying is that your body adapts to what you use it for. If you are a healthy 23 year old male, then 15 or 16 pounds should not be a problem.

And if the pros use mostly 16 pound balls, than that is pretty good proof as to how they got past all the competition.

Its simply a law of physics. If you are shooting at a double wood spare, the heavier ball has less deflection and gives you more room for error.

Brett

#54772 - 04/16/08 06:59 AM Re: 14lb Vs 15lb Bowling Balls [Re: brettbolt]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Most of the pros use 15lb equipment, a few of them like Chris Barnes and Doug Kent went back to 16 the last few years for various reasons, mostly help carrying light hits. If you are high flush with your misses then stick with lighter equipment, if you are light with your misses then go a pound heavier, that is the strategy they use, it is that simple it is not a matter of comfort because the pros can throw anything without altering their game at all because they all use gravity instead of muscle to swing the ball. If you muscle the ball you will have problems changing weight, if that describes any of you, get a coach and save the money for the ball for later.

#54778 - 04/16/08 09:57 AM Re: 14lb Vs 15lb Bowling Balls [Re: CoachJim]
General Pounder Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 38/M/Midlothian, IL
The less revs you have on the ball, the more weight you need to help carry. The more revs, the less weight. I want to say that Norm and WRW use 16 while guys like TJ use 15.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Thumb Tape Help - Gets sticky.
by Mkirchie - Today at 09:18 AM
best defiant in the line from roto grip?
by ngvjeff - Today at 02:52 AM
Changing a polished ball
by Fin09 - Yesterday at 10:22 PM
Ah yes, elbow inside
by SteveH - Yesterday at 06:22 PM
For stubborn straight-bowlers
by Revenator - Yesterday at 01:07 PM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2014-15 thread
by Richie V. - 10/22/14 10:28 PM
The Weak Ten pin?
by steveA - 10/21/14 07:11 PM
Adding new ball to the arsenal
by spectral - 10/21/14 10:16 AM
Fall '14 Week 6 virtual league results
by SteveH - 10/20/14 08:26 PM
Help choosing a new ball
by Cray - 10/20/14 12:45 AM
1500 abralon pad
by Dave800 - 10/19/14 07:58 PM
First Day with the Storm Crux
by SteveH - 10/19/14 06:50 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2014 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.