BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#54715 - 04/15/08 02:57 PM 14lb Vs 15lb Bowling Balls
Byrd Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: 23/Male/Georgia
I'm hoping that there are a few of you out here, that can help answer a question that I have. I've been bowling since I was about 5 years old. Well, I current bowl with a 14lb bowling ball, but have been getting pressure from friends of mine to go up in weight to at least a 15lb bowling ball.

They think that I would get a lot better carry and I wouldn't have any deflection issues, if I increase the weight of the bowling balls I use. Personally, I don't think there's that much of an issue about using a 14lb ball. The only thing I do notice at times, is I have a tendency to leave a lot of weak and stone cold 10's, even when I hit the pocket flush.

Do any of you think that increasing the weight of my bowling ball can really help the carry more or do you think it's just a waist of time to re-invest more money into new bowling balls, just to increase the weight?

Any comments or suggestions will be highly appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.
Lane #1, Morich, Storm, Lane Masters, & Roto Grip.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#54717 - 04/15/08 03:08 PM Re: 14lb Vs 15lb Bowling Balls [Re: Byrd]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
14lb balls have the same core dynamics as 15 and 16lb balls, there are still deflection issues, but mostly on light hits, you will also get away with high hits more often then the heavier balls. Sometimes more deflection is a good thing, you will leave less solid back row pins because the ball will hit the 1,3,5 and 9 instead of 1,3,5 and 8. If you are comfortable with 14, then stay with 14.

#54718 - 04/15/08 03:13 PM Re: 14lb Vs 15lb Bowling Balls [Re: CoachJim]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
I think at your age, no health limitations,and if the icon is any indication of your stature, that you should be using at least 15lbs.

Erin

#54720 - 04/15/08 03:17 PM Re: 14lb Vs 15lb Bowling Balls [Re: CoachJim]
Byrd Offline
Junior Coach

CoachJim, that's the way I was leaning towards. I feel A LOT more comfortable throwing a 14lb, compared to throwing a 15lb/16lb bowling ball. The only negative side about throwing a 14lb ball is I feel like I lose a few strikes in a game, due to the ball being lighter. I notice on a few of my shots that hit the pocket light is where I tend to leave 10 pins. Hopefully, getting the ball in deeper and creating a greater angle of entry, would solve a lot of that problem in the end.

#54723 - 04/15/08 03:22 PM Re: 14lb Vs 15lb Bowling Balls [Re: Byrd]
Byrd Offline
Junior Coach

Atochabsh, well I don't have any great health problem, but I do suffer from time to time with tendinitis in my bowling wrist, in which that's another reason why I don't want to increase the weight that I use. The last thing I would want to do is add more weight or pressure on my wrist, than what's already needed and risk further injury, than what's already there.

#54728 - 04/15/08 03:34 PM Re: 14lb Vs 15lb Bowling Balls [Re: Byrd]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
I'm in a similar boat Bryd. I throw 14 lb, I was throwing 15s and 16s but would have some issues with my wrist. I am a drywall finisher and it can take a toll on the hand and wrist. I had wrist problems before then, even when I was a kid, maybe from some of the stupid stunts I would do.

I don't really have much in the way of carry problems on good shots. If so its either an angle issue or I was a little off at release. Of course right now I've just been off more than on.
HS:763

#54729 - 04/15/08 03:39 PM Re: 14lb Vs 15lb Bowling Balls [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Byrd Offline
Junior Coach

Infernocal, I understand where your coming from. I do believe that bowlers that bowl with 15lb/16lb have somewhat of an advantage over us that use 14lb bowling balls, but that advantage is not worth me taking a chance to further injury of my wrist. It's like go up in weight and bowl for less time in the long haul or stay where I'm at and bowler longer. Regardless of anything, being able to maintain around the 200's (in a good house) with a 14lb ball is doing pretty well if you ask me.

#54732 - 04/15/08 03:50 PM Re: 14lb Vs 15lb Bowling Balls [Re: Byrd]
Brandon510 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 28/Male/California/Philippines
I think if you are comfortable with the weight and you dont have much of carry issue stick with it. I have used 15 lbs most of my adult life and people have asked my why i never moved to 16 lbs. I had no need to i tell them my carry is good and have no complaints why change something if it aint broken.

BowlSk: Stats

#54733 - 04/15/08 04:01 PM Re: 14lb Vs 15lb Bowling Balls [Re: Brandon510]
sixbagger Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: Indiana
I currently throw 15# balls but have been suffering from chronic wrist pain the last month. I have been considering dropping to 14# balls because of it - but first I really need to get to the doctor and find out exactly whats causing the pain, but I've been putting it off and toughing it out.

Personally I wouldn't care if I had to throw 12# balls - as long as I was out doing what I love doing I could just blow off all those nay-sayers. I'm with others above - stay with what you feel comfortable with - a 14# ball.

#54737 - 04/15/08 04:20 PM Re: 14lb Vs 15lb Bowling Balls [Re: sixbagger]
Byrd Offline
Junior Coach

Brandon510 & Sixbagger, I completely agree with both of you. I was starting to even doubt myself, when it came to thinking about switching weights. I don't have a huge carry issue, in which if I did, then I would seriously consider going up in weight. I have a few issues with carry at times, but unless it gets worse, I'm going to stay with throwing my 14lb bowling balls and just ignore the people that are trying to get me to switch.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/16/18 09:27 PM
Help with grip/ Thumb Position
by 82Boat69 - 07/15/18 08:11 PM
End of Days
by Dennis Michael - 07/15/18 07:34 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by Richie V. - 07/10/18 12:19 PM
what will become of AMF
by Dennis Michael - 07/09/18 07:13 AM
I'll try again
by Dennis Michael - 07/06/18 12:32 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by 6_ball_man - 07/06/18 08:44 AM
Bowling ball colors
by BOSStull - 07/04/18 10:28 AM
Tiered Tape...
by BOSStull - 06/30/18 11:33 AM
no one on for 5 days
by steveA - 06/22/18 04:31 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.