BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#54673 - 04/15/08 12:27 AM Re: Lane #1 Vs Morich [Re: Byrd]
southgadawg74 Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 33/m/Saint Marys, Ga
That sounds plain terrible...sounds like your better driving the 45 mins to Savannah...that cant be good on your equipment

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#54674 - 04/15/08 12:39 AM Re: Lane #1 Vs Morich [Re: southgadawg74]
Byrd Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: 23/Male/Georgia
Your completely right about that. That's why a lot of us throw junk balls at our house. I bought a new ball 3 months ago and right now it looks like it's 4/5 years old. Any equipment you throw on our lanes will get a deep gash in it within the first 3 games. That's why I have different equipment that I use ONLY when I practice at another house or go to tournaments.
Lane #1, Morich, Storm, Lane Masters, & Roto Grip.

#54677 - 04/15/08 01:16 AM Re: Lane #1 Vs Morich [Re: Byrd]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
I think that all the ball companies make good products. I've thrown Morich, Columbia, Hammer, Roto, Track, Ebonite, Brunswick and Storm.

The hardest thing to find is a ball company that works well for your style. The Lane#1 equipment seems to be out priced and not readily available in our area. No CA distrubutors carry it and even if you find someone that has it, its expensive. Lane #1 seems hard to find in a Pro Shop, so they are depending on independant sales to keep them afloat, nor are they seen on the PBA tour TV coverage. Which tells me that the most consistent best bowlers in the world.......do not use their products. As a Pro Shop owner I have to look at it from this point of view....
1. they cost a lot of money
2. they are not readily available through local distributors
3. they are not being used by bowlers commonly seen on the PBA tour
Are they bad balls? NO! But they are also no better, IMO then anything else out there. If you find that you like Lane#1 and have a good history with them. they go for it. There's a lot of money invested in being allowed in PBA play. Lane #1, like Lanemasters may not have choosen to pay the couple million dollars it takes to be PBA qualified.

I can tell you from personal experience that you can find equipment at the $200 and lower price point that is as good as any you can find. All of today's equipment is going to have a short-ish lifespan compared to how it hits OUT OF THE BOX. With the exception of Lanemasters, who's balls have such hard exteriors that you'll find a very long life with minimal maintenance. However, with that goes less dynamic out of the box reaction. But what you get, will be there for a long time.

One thing to keep in mind these days is that there is a very large selection of bowling balls to choose from. So not only is it going to be a harder choice, but you need to realize that there is really no bad balls out there.

I main thing to start looking at in choosing a ball, is 1. do you have more ball speed the revolutions, or 2. more revolutions then ball speed. Most lady bowlers are lacking in ball speed. So that'll give you an example. Most ladies need a polished or pearl ball in the low to mid price range.

Another thing to consider is your expectations. A heavy oil balls like The Cell, The Double Agent, The Gamebreaker, The Resurrgence, the LevRG. the Fury are going to have a more arc-ing movement to the pocket. They are not going to make the dynamic fish hook type movement to the pocket you might think. they are made to push through oil and keep going. Like a Hummer in snow or mud.

The polished and pearl balls are more like Corvettes. Made to corner quickly and cleanly. Given enough hand release, these balls will dance and turn on a dime when they hit the dry area of the lanes. That's providing there is a good dry area to be found on that particular lane condition.

Erin

#54678 - 04/15/08 01:21 AM Re: Lane #1 Vs Morich [Re: Byrd]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Originally Posted By: Byrd
I also forgot to include in my post before about another company that I believe is doing another tremendous job when it comes to their bowling ball creations and that's Lane Masters. I think a lot of people don't realize that they make very good quality bowling balls, as I've thrown a few pieces of their equipment that I think is very good overall. Just didn't want to leave them out.

Welcome to this site, Byrd. I have 2 MoRich balls, the TS&A and the Awesome Hook. Both balls do exactly what CoachJim said in his post. Both were used on oiled patterns, including PBA Patterns.

I guess I gradually switched over to Lane Masters though because the lane conditions I found were not always conducive to use the MoRich balls every night, and the Lane Masters balls were a little more versatile. Once, I switch, I found a lot of savings in maintenance time with the LM balls. They don't require the surface management that the Mo balls did. And, honestly, both Mo balls were sponges with oil.

But, for me, the summer tournament time is around the corner, and the Mo balls will come out again. They, along with the LM balls will be the only ones carried to those events, 2 Dull, 2 Polished. 2 stacked drilled, 2 label leveraged drilled.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#54680 - 04/15/08 01:47 AM Re: Lane #1 Vs Morich [Re: Dennis Michael]
Worm27 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 32/M/WA
I have 3 morich balls. I love them, but I leave a lot of stone cold 6 and 8 pins because they hit too hard. My benchmark ball is an Awesome Finish. I love this ball because it can handle medium conditions. I also have a LevRg, but it is too much ball for even the first game of my house conditions. I know it would be great for a heavy oiler though because on a flooded condition it reacts much like my awesome finish. Both are drilled the same, just like how buddies drilled the levrg in their video. I also have a Morich Sahara. This ball is very aggressive. It reacts very strong on the backends. It is a good ball, but I rarely use it because I would rather play a more mellow shot than swinging the ball a bunch. This ball works well though when the lanes dry up on the outside and I need to swing a ball from the inside to the outside and have it come back to the pocket.
Lately, I have begun to wonder if I am not hurting my scores by using Morich though. I have medium to high revs and very good speed. To me it seems like I almost hit with too much power and everything is blown away except for one pin... sometimes a 7 or 10, but mainly a 6 or 8 pin. I get about 2 6 or 8 pins a game. I seem to struggle to string lots of strikes with these balls because they just seem to hit too hard and I get a 6 or 8 pin. I do not recall getting that many of these before using morich. I also use other equipment for dry lanes. I have a columbia super trooper and a storm big hit for burnt lanes. I am still searching for a keeper for the lighter conditions. I do have a very old NU LINE Super X Calibur (purple) that is a great reactive resin ball. I think it has over 500 games or more on it and is on its last leg. It has the basic lightbulb core. It is much smoother and less aggressive than the morich, but still mixes and carries very well. I need to find another ball like it. It was always my "money" ball.
I am not familiar with lane 1.
16 lb Brunswick Avalanche Solid

#54681 - 04/15/08 01:58 AM Re: Lane #1 Vs Morich [Re: Dennis Michael]
Byrd Offline
Junior Coach

Atochabsh, I can agree with you 100% with your opinion. I'm sure that ALL major bowling ball companies make very good products, but I'm choosing not to SUPPORT a company, that I feel like is trying to eliminate all of it's competition. Does that mean that they make bad bowling balls? No, not at all. I personally think they make some very good equipment and for the price point, it seems to be a very good deal on a lot of their products. Lane #1 is available to me and at an affordable price, along with Morich equipment. Lane Masters equipment is not readily available, but I absolutely love their products. They take a lot of time and effort into their research and development. I honestly wish that more people had a chance to use some of their products and see for themselves.

Dennis Michael, I honestly agree with you about Lane Masters bowling balls being easier to maintain. To me, the extended life that you get out of their bowling balls, are well worth every cent of your hard earned money you spend on them. Every company has spent a lot of time in developing products for their consumers to make the game better and to allow their customers the enjoyment of bowling. Compared to the bowling balls back in the day, there has been a lot of new technology put into bowling balls from cores to coverstocks. I'm very impressed with what has been achieved over the years of R&D.

Like I said before, I'm not going to bash Ebonite's corporation or good name, just because I choose not to support them, but overall I like how they continue to come up with products to satisfy their loyal customers and fan base.

#54686 - 04/15/08 03:34 AM Re: Lane #1 Vs Morich [Re: Byrd]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

Byrd, it all depends on what you want the ball to do based on how you roll, and on what lane conditions. I had good success with MoRich, but I found the balls I had too specific to particular lanes. I don't get a lot of hand in the ball, and I relied on the ball to help a little. The Lane Masters balls just fit my need. I have had 4 of them, and carry 3. Each has been better than the other for the purpose I got them.

The LM balls were very controllable right out of the box. Yeah, with their thick coverstock, they hit really hard. I had to make some adjustment or I would leave 9 pins all night. But, now, they fit like comfy slippers on my hand. We are friends.

I carry 1 Storm ball (Shift) to use when the lanes really get fried. It's my last ball out of my bag.

#54687 - 04/15/08 07:22 AM Re: Lane #1 Vs Morich [Re: Byrd]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Quote:
What's bad about the entire situation is, when we travel to tournaments, we are always getting re-rated because they think Statesboro bowlers are sandbaggers and I always tell people, bring your over 200 average to Statesboro and try keeping it in our house, then you will understand what we're talking about.

We have some dumps in our area as well, for several years there were people crushing tournaments from this one center that was falling apart for the same reason that they average 160 there and 200+ everywhere else, they never got rerated until they won, but someone from that house seemed to win every tournament for a while.

It is not outright sandbagging, because you are doing the best you can do and anyone else that bowls there wouldn't do much better probably even the pros, but I can see why they rerate you when your average is 40 under what you will most likely bowl. I have never heard of someone getting re rated just because they bowl in a difficult house. To me it is part of the reward for keeping that place in business, otherwise there would be one less bowling center. Who knows they may fix it up one day and it may be the highest scoring center in the area like the place we have here.

Tongue in cheek here folks: Dennis you might want to start worrying then if they are going to re rate based on where you bowl.

As far as Ebonite is concerned, I don't know the circumstances in which they bought out Columbia, it might well be that if they didn't buy them out then they would have went out of business, then there would be even less choices. Global was able to take over the plant and keep Lane #1 and Amf going. Global's owner is the former vp at Columbia and previous owner of Track and Dynothane before he sold them to columbia. If Ebonite wanted to take over the bowling world they would have made Phil sign a no compete clause before they finished buying out Columbia.

I think we have more competition and ball companies to choose from now after the buyout than before considering Amf now has new products (the code red looks awesome by the way) and had not had a new ball in two years before that, Dynothane is gone, but Global took over with the same coverstocks and better cores, Lane #1 was unaffected, Circle is gone, but they sucked anyway so no loss there.

Track was sliding down the tubes, they had not had a winner since the heat line 5 years ago, Patric allen and Scroggins both suffered after switching to track and both started winning again as soon as they switched. Any track piece that comes out from Ebonite's plant has to be miles ahead of where they were.

#54693 - 04/15/08 08:54 AM Re: Lane #1 Vs Morich [Re: CoachJim]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

Tongue in cheek here folks: Dennis you might want to start worrying then if they are going to re rate based on where you bowl.

I hear you loud and clear. I will find out Saturday. My first tournament of the Summer.

#54709 - 04/15/08 02:36 PM Re: Lane #1 Vs Morich [Re: Dennis Michael]
Byrd Offline
Junior Coach

CoachJim, I feel you on what your saying. I think we have one of the worst houses in the United States. The people that own it, don't really care about the center. We don't have automatic scoring, the lanes are in terrible shape, we have pins from the 1970's that are completely dead, the kickbacks suck, and on top of that, they hardly like to keep any oil on the lane.

I've been to a variety of bowling alleys from Georgia, all the way to Mississippi and I've never seen another house to even come remotely close to being as bad as ours. For instance, when we go bowl in the St. Patrick's Day tournament in Dublin, the tournament director always re-rate's Statesboro bowlers BEFORE we even bowl.

One example of what's happened recently, a few of us went to the St. Patrick's Day double's tournament in Dublin and a friend of mine averages 171 in our house. The tournament director re-rated him to a 188, in which we all expected that to happen, but we got out on the lanes to bowl and I started with a 213 and my partner shot a 300 out of the gate. The next two games were just alright for us. I ended up shooting a series of 213, 197, 206 and my partner shot a 300, 223, 201.

Well, that put us in 3rd place, but after we finished bowling, the tournament director came over and re-rated my partner AGAIN from a 188 to a 205 and took my re-rated average from a 189 and re-rated mine to a 202. Which took our total score from 3rd place and bumped us down to 10th place. Now, I don't mind getting re-rated once, but to re-rate us before AND after we bowl is beyond me.

Statesboro bowlers have had a lot of success at a variety of tournaments within the state of Georgia. In fact, there have been other bowlers from other places, that got very upset at us, so they decided to complain to tournament officials about how it's not fair that we get to shoot with the average we have.

It's to the point now that when we go to a tournament in Georgia, they find out that we're from Statesboro, they will automatically re-rate you just because we are from Statesboro. It's hard for me to get mad though because like I said before, I can average around 202-205 when I'm in a good house. I just average a 168 here in Statesboro.

Edited by Byrd (04/15/08 02:38 PM)

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Richie V. - 10:58 PM
Hammer "Black Widow Urethane"
by nord - 12:35 AM
Honor scores 2017-18
by wronghander - 11/21/17 11:58 PM
Any interest in a winter virtual league?
by SteveH - 11/19/17 10:22 PM
Nothing worse than falling apart late in a game
by Jason_C - 11/19/17 10:04 PM
Which ball
by djp1080 - 11/19/17 06:18 PM
Entry Angle
by djp1080 - 11/19/17 12:09 PM
My low track
by Jason_C - 11/17/17 01:38 PM
Back-up Bowling
by djp1080 - 11/16/17 08:31 PM
Has this happenned to any one
by 82Boat69 - 11/14/17 01:24 PM
Two handed with pinky and ring
by Dylan585 - 11/13/17 02:48 PM
2017 U.S. Open
by Dylan585 - 11/12/17 05:48 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2017 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.