BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 12 of 12 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#53475 - 03/29/08 10:59 PM Re: You think Pete likes Stone? [Re: Mkirchie]
Smooth Stroker Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 45/M/Long Island
Usually, the averages start out low and get higher as the players burn a line they can carry with. This time, the averages started out on the high side and got progressively lower each round. It seems that the first bowler with a clean game and a triple will win. The first split and your dead. I doubt we will see many "hambones" tomorrow
( thank goodness ). Carry might be out of the question.

It will be interesting to see what lines they will be playing. Duke can play inside or outside, even though his bread and butter is outside. Kent can play inside or outside. Mika can play inside or outside. Loshetter ( or however you spell his name ) plays a tweener type of game. I would be willing to bet they will all be around the same part of the lane. somewhere around 3rd arrow. Kent will probably play the deepest.

IQ Tour Fusion
IQ Tour anniversary edition
Lights Out
Natural

USBC level 1 certified coach

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#53480 - 03/30/08 12:44 AM Re: You think Pete likes Stone? [Re: Smooth23]
johnw1 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 66/m/Wynantskill/ny/usa
It just goes to show that those waving those hambone signs are just as ignorant as Stone is.

#53483 - 03/30/08 06:44 AM Re: You think Pete likes Stone? [Re: johnw1]
Worm27 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 32/M/WA
I am sure that all of the haters of "hambone" only bowl with "old school" mineralite bowling balls introduced by the Brunswich Corporation in 1914 and keep score with paper and pencil too. Err wait...the mineralite ball would be a break from the traditional rubber ball of 1905 and even then... we should probably use the traditional hardwood lignum vitae for bowling balls since that was the first U.S. traditional bowling ball material. thumbsup

God forbid that the sport changes or breaks from tradition. I mean, what would be the point of starting a new tradition or changing the game a bit to try and bring more interest to it. Im sure all strike terminalogy has some meaningful history behind it ... like "bagger", "six-pack", "double." "Turkey" obviously does, but just because "it was always that way does it mean it has to always be that way?" confused

I am sure all the "hambone" haters are also screaming at the bowling proprieters to bring back all the "pin boys" and to make archery practice a mandatory pregame warm up routine too. cry

It is ridiculous that people can't keep an open mind to some change or some guy trying to bring new life to the sport. The guy isn't hurting anyone or preaching hatred. How hard is it to just grit your teeth, keep your mouth shut, and let some people show some enthusiasm for the game. The same people who have a problem with it are the same people who grew up watching bowling on ABC sports... where monotone voices and whispering (suspense) was the only marketing tool used to entertain the viewer. Im sure the kids of today are going to be drawn to that technique! sleep

Personally, I think Rob Stone can be annoying as hell, but at least he brings some energy and personality to a sport that is in dire need of it. Bowling is viewed by most of the general public to be a sport dominated by old fat men who don't have the athleticism to play any other sport. Imagine that, a game traditionally played by kings viewed in such a light! eek

If turning the heads of the general public means ruffling a few feathers of so called traditionalists, then so be it. In the end, the more the "traditionalists" fight the word, the more the word continues to garner attention and momentum. Basically, all the haters are the reason why "hambone" is here to stay. Long live "HAMBONE!" wink

Have a nice day grin

Edited by Worm27 (03/30/08 06:47 AM)
16 lb Brunswick Avalanche Solid

#53491 - 03/30/08 09:52 AM Re: You think Pete likes Stone? [Re: Worm27]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Did this thread really need to be brought back to life?
HS:763

#53494 - 03/30/08 10:09 AM Re: You think Pete likes Stone? [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Rob Stone is a no nothing, un-knowledgeable, loud talking, self-centered, mockery of this Sport. But, if it wasn't for him, no one would be talking about this Sport except the few on this board.

In this case, any notariety is good publicity. If it is controversial, more people talk about it.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#53496 - 03/30/08 10:25 AM Re: You think Pete likes Stone? [Re: Dennis Michael]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael
Rob Stone is a no nothing, un-knowledgeable, loud talking, self-centered, mockery of this Sport. But, if it wasn't for him, no one would be talking about this Sport except the few on this board.

In this case, any notariety is good publicity. If it is controversial, more people talk about it.

I can hear Stone now..

"Your tears.. your tears make me stronger!"

laugh

#53499 - 03/30/08 12:30 PM Re: You think Pete likes Stone? [Re: Lefty]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
If all goes well for Stone, he will be one of the talking heads on Sport Center making derogatory sounding comments before bowling comes on some day, like, "For those of you with no life, or nothing better to do bowling is coming up next".

#53520 - 03/30/08 02:24 PM Re: You think Pete likes Stone? [Re: Worm27]
johnw1 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 66/m/Wynantskill/ny/usa
I wonder how many members of this forum would be willing to wave a hambone sign if given the opportunity to attend a PBA event? I would hazard a guess that you would be the lone member.

I have nothing against breaking away from tradition as long as it adds something to the game. But hambone replacing 4-bagger or Yahtzee replacing 5-bagger? Sorry, I don't see the connection.

Rob Stone has made little, if any, effort to learn the game (and its traditions). His attempt to "liven up" the broadcast, complete with disconnected catch words, is a mask to hide his lack of knowledge of the game. Rob Stone should stick with soccer commentary, but even then he has numerous detractors among those who know the game of soccer.

It's too bad that Stone does not model himself after the late great Chris Schenkel. Schenkel anchored the PBA broadcast for 23 years and although he was not that knowledgeable about the game, he never alienated the viewing audience. Over the course of his career in the broadcast booth, he became known as the "Voice of the PBA". I don't think that title will ever apply to Rob Stone.

As for being "old school" and a traditionalist, I would have to include myself in that category, although I would like to think of myself as being able to change with the game.

By the way, one of my first bowling balls was a used Brunswick Mineralite ball. The Mineralite was a great ball and I considered it to be a better ball than a more contemporary ball at the time - the Brunswick Black Beauty.

Page 12 of 12 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
This is a damned shame
by djp1080 - 10/17/20 08:32 PM
Undercover Boss Bowlero
by BOSStull - 10/12/20 07:16 PM
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 10:12 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:39 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:32 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.