BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#53242 - 03/27/08 09:05 PM how to increase speed
puffer Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 40/ M / Wisconsin
I was just wondering if anyone had some tips on how I can increase my ball speed?

Currently I throw about 13.5 at the pin deck and I hold the ball at chest level then push out and drop down into my swing.

Problem is the my back swing is not that high - but to get it higher I would have to force it. This throws off my rythym and hence my shot. I dropped down to 14lbs which brought my spped up a bit. Ideally I would like to gain another 2mph 0r 3 nothing major.

thanks

15# Lane #1 Blue Death
15# Track 920A
15# Track Kinetic Energy
14# Storm Reign of Fire
14# Track 505C

High Game 279

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#53244 - 03/27/08 09:19 PM Re: how to increase speed [Re: puffer]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
You will probably have to loosen your shoulder by swinging the ball back and forth letting the ball gradually swing higher and higher.

Try this drill several times until you feel your shoulder loosen up and the ball naturally swings higher in the back swing. Then go and try to bowl and see if your speed doesn't increase without much if any extra effort.

Word of warning, if your grip isn't right you will loose the ball off your hand or squeeze the ball to death to prevent it from flying off, so be careful.

Edited by CoachJim (03/27/08 09:21 PM)

#53262 - 03/27/08 11:55 PM Re: how to increase speed [Re: puffer]
johnw1 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 66/m/Wynantskill/ny/usa
Probably the easiest way to increase ball speed would be to stand further back from the foul line(one or two extra feet) and either take longer steps or add a step to your delivery (switch from 4-steps to 5-steps).

You say that you are holding the ball chest high and the backswing is not as high as you would like. Let's just assume that your backswing covers 180 degrees (a half circle)so that the ball is probably ending up at the top of your backswing about the height of your waist (If you stood staight up the ball would end up knee high but the forward tilt of yur body would get the ball up to your waist). Again assuming or supposing that 180 degrees matches your current rhythm what would happen if you pushed the ball out from waist height? Combined with the forward tilt of your body you might get the ball to reach shoulder height at the top of your backswing. Have you tried this yet? What I am trying to say is that you should experiment with different ball positions in your stance and see which one gives you the height of the backswing that you are looking for and allows you to apply leverage at the foul line. If you watch the PBA players on TV you would note that many of the high backswing bowlers start their ball in different positions. Pete Weber generally holds his ball chest high while someone like Tommy Jones holds his ball waist high. Mike Scoggins holds his ball almost down to his knees. (Both Weber and Jones have exceptionally high backswings, partially helped by opening their bodies up more than usual.) In other words, there is no set rule as to where you should hold the ball in order to achieve a higher backswing. Experiment and have a bowling buddy along to tell you where the ball is ending up.

#53278 - 03/28/08 02:17 AM Re: how to increase speed [Re: johnw1]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Chances are, you are stopping your backswing. Your arm should swing freely. Are you standing too erect to cause this? If you notice, most bend forward in the backswing allowing the arm to go all the way back. If you stand straight, it won't do that.

Hold your ball higher. Push up and out. Swing from the shoulder. Bend in the backswing. And, reach out at the release.

Now, it has taken me 2 months to go from 16.5 to 18 mph and not affect my timing, I was 13.5+ at the pindeck.
The keys for me were to lengthen my approach (only a half of a step), and in particular, my second step which controls speed. If you take 5 steps, lengthen the second one. If you take 4 steps, lengthen your first one.

Edited by Dennis Michael (03/28/08 02:19 AM)
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#53300 - 03/28/08 09:11 AM Re: how to increase speed [Re: Dennis Michael]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
As usual, Ron Clifton has a very good article about this:

http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/tip41_files/tip41.htm

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#53310 - 03/28/08 10:40 AM Re: how to increase speed [Re: cgeorg]
puffer Offline
Bracket Donor

Thanks for all the great advice. I have been practicing my swing around the house to open up my shoulder some more. I also do notice that the balls that I have drilled with a reverse thumb pitch seem more difficult for me to get into a full backswing because I unknowingly am afraid that the ball is going to drop off my hand. I have my Cell drilled with 1/4" forward and feel more confident in a bigger swing with it. I think I'll have all my balls drilled with forward pitches from now on.

Also, I amgoing to work on bending forward a little more. Not exactly sure why but when I am standing too erect my backswing stops about waist high. It's like my shoulder muscles and especially my tricepts prevent my arm from going any higher. There is definately a point that both these muscle groups prevent me from going any further. However I tried (around the house) leaning forward a bit and these muscles released and allowed for a higher swing. Not sure how that worked but it does.

As far as standing further back. I already start from the 2nd set of dots. So I think I need to slow my feet down. I have a 4 step approach.

15# Lane #1 Blue Death
15# Track 920A
15# Track Kinetic Energy
14# Storm Reign of Fire
14# Track 505C

High Game 279

#53312 - 03/28/08 10:48 AM Re: how to increase speed [Re: puffer]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
You want to make sure that if you bend a bit in the approach, you get back to a mostly upright position at the finish. If you watch the pros, a lot of them bend forward a bit, but then get their spine back to a more upright position at the foul line. If you don't get back upright, you will lose leverage.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#53323 - 03/28/08 12:02 PM Re: how to increase speed [Re: puffer]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

Quote:
I also do notice that the balls that I have drilled with a reverse thumb pitch seem more difficult for me to get into a full backswing because I unknowingly am afraid that the ball is going to drop off my hand.

Bingo! that is what I have been talking about, now you see how much you squeeze it and didn't realize it before. Now watch how free your swing gets.

As far as bending from the waist to increase your back swing height goes, make sure you let the ball fall into the swing and the ball starts heading up into the back swing before you bend, otherwise you will cut the swing off again and swing the ball with your back instead of your shoulder.

Try just letting the ball swing free without the excess back tilt before you try going higher, it is best you learn to swing the ball before adding any moving parts.

If you just let the ball swing from your shoulder, you will automatically tilt your spine the proper amount without thinking about it unless your body has an odd center of gravity that causes you to bend forward too far, then you might have to force yourself to walk more upright. If you are thinking that you are already too far upright, you are probably just fine and shouldn't mess with that at this time.

#53334 - 03/28/08 12:36 PM Re: how to increase speed [Re: CoachJim]
puffer Offline
Bracket Donor

yeah coach the forward pitch makes a world of difference. I tested my Cell with forward pitch and I don't grab anywhere during my swing. Then I tested a ball that has reverse pitch and I was in fear of letting my swing go back past a certain point.

Also, I did notice my arm does not bind up on the backswing if I lean forward as the ball drops below my knees. I also notice that my shoulders seem to open up a bit more but are angled slightly away and to the right of the fowl line at the height of my back swing. I am square again once the ball begins to trave back downward. Is this normal?
15# Lane #1 Blue Death
15# Track 920A
15# Track Kinetic Energy
14# Storm Reign of Fire
14# Track 505C

High Game 279

#53349 - 03/28/08 03:18 PM Re: how to increase speed [Re: puffer]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

Quote:
I am square again once the ball begins to trave back downward. Is this normal?

That all might change once you actually bowl, it is far different than standing there swinging the ball. All I can say is try and see how it works for you.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Richie V. - 10:58 PM
Hammer "Black Widow Urethane"
by nord - 12:35 AM
Honor scores 2017-18
by wronghander - 11/21/17 11:58 PM
Any interest in a winter virtual league?
by SteveH - 11/19/17 10:22 PM
Nothing worse than falling apart late in a game
by Jason_C - 11/19/17 10:04 PM
Which ball
by djp1080 - 11/19/17 06:18 PM
Entry Angle
by djp1080 - 11/19/17 12:09 PM
My low track
by Jason_C - 11/17/17 01:38 PM
Back-up Bowling
by djp1080 - 11/16/17 08:31 PM
Has this happenned to any one
by 82Boat69 - 11/14/17 01:24 PM
Two handed with pinky and ring
by Dylan585 - 11/13/17 02:48 PM
2017 U.S. Open
by Dylan585 - 11/12/17 05:48 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2017 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.