BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#5231 - 08/05/03 07:29 AM Peterson Point System
Rich S Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 65 Male NJ
I have been looking on the internet for info about how a league using the Peterson Point system might work, unsuccessfully. Does anyone here
have info on that type of system or a suggestion about where I can find that info? confused

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#5232 - 08/05/03 02:23 PM Re: Peterson Point System
REVMASTER Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 33/male/Florida
In regular games, each bowler will compete against the bowler in the same lineup position on the opposite team for one point, and team total for three points, 1.5 points for a tie.

#5233 - 08/05/03 03:25 PM Re: Peterson Point System
Pizzaguy Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 50/M/Rochester, NY
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Originally posted by 2fingerartest:
In regular games, each bowler will compete against the bowler in the same lineup position on the opposite team for one point, and team total for three points, 1.5 points for a tie. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Not entirely true. What you described is a match point system, commonly confused with Petersen points.

In a Petersen point system, points are awarded for each "block" of pins scored. For examples, if the "block" is defined as 50 pins, and you shoot 575, you would receive 11.5 Petersen points. In addition, bonus points are awarded for victories. If you took 3 of 4 points, and 10 points were awarded for each victory, you would receive a total of 41.5 points for the evening.

Please, someone correct any mistakes in this interpretation.

#5234 - 08/05/03 09:56 PM Re: Peterson Point System
Dick Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: Quarryville, Pa
I believe you explained it very well Jim. That is my understanding of how Peterson points are awarded.

#5235 - 05/12/05 04:10 PM Re: Peterson Point System
labradorice Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 47/f/montreal, canada
Where can a find an "official" description of this system?
Anyone out there have the details?

Thanks,
labradorice

#5236 - 05/15/05 08:51 PM Re: Peterson Point System
Coach04 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: Male/Texas
I couldn't find an "Official" description, like in a rule book or something. But I did find under bowling definitions, that the Petersen Point System is 1 point for each 50 pins felled, plus one point for game win.

So as an example a bowler rolling a 300 game wound receive 6 points for felled pins and 1 point for beating your opponent. For a maximum of 7 points possible per bowler/ per game.

Although the description did not say it, I have seen where fractions were used. Say a 275 game would yield 5.5 points plus 1 if the game is won.

I did not find an official version telling how to deal with felled pins less than 50, so an assumption would have to be made on using fractional points.

I have seen countless misrepresentations of the Petersen Point System, where match point systems are called the Petersen Point System.

#5237 - 05/16/05 11:20 AM Re: Peterson Point System
labradorice Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 47/f/montreal, canada
Thanks, Coach04,

The 1 point per 50 pins seems to be consistent with what I've heard.

What about a ranking system to give a game win??..example: 10 teams: 1st place gets 10 pts, 2nd gets 9, 3rd gets 8...etc.
Is that a part of this system, one of the "countless misrepresentations", or a separate system altogether?
Is Petersen, (the person) still alive? Going to the source might be a way to find the "official" description.

labradorice

#5238 - 05/16/05 08:13 PM Re: Peterson Point System
Coach04 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: Male/Texas
This is from bowl.com:

LOUIS PETERSEN
Chicago
Born: Sept. 23, 1883
Died: June 20, 1958
Inducted 1963

A scoring system and a bowling tournament have etched Petersen's name indelibly in the upper strata of bowling contributors. He started his famous Petersen Classic in 1921 and that event's popularity has grown each year. Petersen also originated the point system bearing his name. He also was a founder of the Bowling Proprietors Association of America in 1932 and a prime mover of high school bowling.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
This is a damned shame
by 82Boat69 - 07/05/20 10:18 PM
Ultimate Adjustable Thumb
by EdW - 07/05/20 08:43 PM
Plugging balance holes
by BOSStull - 07/03/20 04:35 PM
COVID-10 and center closings
by BOSStull - 06/27/20 09:00 PM
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by Mkirchie - 06/24/20 02:10 PM
Quitting my League
by mmalsed - 06/22/20 12:42 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 06/20/20 05:06 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.