BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#52074 - 03/15/08 11:20 AM New Ball decision
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Well, I have decided on 2 new balls to bring to Nationals, The Black Widow Bite, and the Ultra Zone. The problem I will have is that this overloads me with heavy oil balls.
The only ball I will have is the Storm Shift for medium play, and that is really squirty.

I don't play in a lot of tournaments, maybe one a month. I do bowl on a House Sport shot and sub in a PBA league. But, for a regular league THS and especially in dryer practice, I think I am [censored] myself.

Given my arsenal, and the prospective purchases, what are your thoughts?
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#52078 - 03/15/08 12:43 PM Re: New Ball decision [Re: Dennis Michael]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Dennis, What balls do you already have that work well on the pba and sport shots?

I think the Ultra might have too much back end for many of the shots at the Nats and other tournaments.

The Fresh, National shot will require a heavy oil ball with 1000 or 2000 dull surface played up the 7 or 8 board out to 5 or 6 until the shot opens up, then a shiny surface in a similar ball will probably get you through. If you bowl on a second or third squad singles and doubles, the Ultra might come in handy though. Your Shift will also play well from straighter angles.

The BTM is 2ft longer with a flatter 1 to 1 pattern with less oil than the national shot, similar to the US Open. If you get there early and bowl on fresh, you will have to be accurate and use a the same dull piece you use at the National team shot and Open up a shot from yourself from the second arrow, be ready for quick ball and line changes. The Ultra may be too jumpy off the break point on this one. The Shift might be more controlable.

The Bowlers Journal is also 43 ft, but has less volume of oil than the BTM, but is a 3 to 1 pattern, here the Ultra might be a good ball if you end up covering a bunch of boards.

I have heard that the Storm Sport Bowling Challenge is a short pattern, so bring your shift for that one.

#52080 - 03/15/08 01:54 PM Re: New Ball decision [Re: CoachJim]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Coach, both the Conqueror and the Terminator are great on oil, sport shots, tournaments, and PBA league. You won't find much info on the Conqueror, since it was a limited edition, (500 balls only). It is drilled for early arc. The Terminator is drilled with pin over the ring finger, about 3 1/2-4 inches.

I use the Conq. to play the middle 15 to 10 with enough for the backend. The Terminator is a great straight up shot 8 out to 5. I had the Shift for an inside line, but gave up on the ball, and use it only for med-lite shots. The BW Bite is intended for an inside-out line as I need it. And, I thought the Ultra, for a reactive cover, would play more in the middle with a strong back end. Trying to cover all bases.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
What to do?
by Mkirchie - 02/01/20 07:45 AM
Plugging balance holes
by Dennis Michael - 01/29/20 01:20 AM
The price of new bowling balls
by Dennis Michael - 01/28/20 06:14 PM
This is a damned shame
by Mkirchie - 01/26/20 05:10 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.