BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#52013 - 03/14/08 11:47 AM Re: Go RVing Classic [Re: Fin09]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Quote:
I still don't like that bowling has been reduced to this, though. You don't see golfers digging troughs in the greens to make their path to the hole easier. Bowlers mangle up a tough pattern so that it plays as easy as a league shot.

They groove these sport patterns so they play easier than a league shot in many respects, as long as you can bowl. A league shot seems to penalize high rev type bowlers and reward low rev bowlers, in many respects. True High rev players can stand left and throw right on most house patterns, as long as they miss right, they are good, but a grooved in sport shot allows for shots missed inside the target to hold pocket more than most house patterns (at least the one I bowl on).

Many people think bowlers such as Walter Ray, Norm Duke and Scroggiins and the like are "straight" players, but on a house pattern there isn't oil with in 5 boards of where they start their balls and would most likely be playing a Tommy Jones type of line on a house pattern since their rev rates are much higher than most typical house bowlers you see playing up the outside.

Tommy Jones would most likely start his night close to if not in front of the ball return on a house pattern.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#52024 - 03/14/08 12:31 PM Re: Go RVing Classic [Re: CoachJim]
bluesman_vt_2002 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 40/M/VT
What CoachJim says is absolutely true and I saw it first hand during the Go RVing Pro Am with both of his examples.

Walter Ray was swinging the ball over 18 at the arrows to 4-5 board. TJ was all the way left and swinging huge. Mitch Beasley was in the left lane to shoot the right lane and tossing the gutter cap.

- Travis
Storm Hy-Road | Ebonite Mission | Ebonite Complete NV | Plastic

#52030 - 03/14/08 12:59 PM Re: Go RVing Classic [Re: bluesman_vt_2002]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Quote:
Many people think bowlers such as Walter Ray, Norm Duke and Scroggiins and the like are "straight" players, but on a house pattern there isn't oil with in 5 boards of where they start their balls and would most likely be playing a Tommy Jones type of line on a house pattern since their rev rates are much higher than most typical house bowlers you see playing up the outside.

If they were on a house shot on a regular basis, I think you'd see them start digging in their basements for old urethane and rubber balls. They would not be using the new high tech balls they are given now. And they have to use contemporary equipment in most of the PBA tournaments.

Erin

#52034 - 03/14/08 01:21 PM Re: Go RVing Classic [Re: Fin09]
ChenZ3n Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 34/M/NC
Quote:
I still don't like that bowling has been reduced to this, though. You don't see golfers digging troughs in the greens to make their path to the hole easier. Bowlers mangle up a tough pattern so that it plays as easy as a league shot.

Bowling hasn't been "reduced" to this. That strategy is as old as lane oil itself. It is just a bigger phenomenon now that these "nuclear powered" bowling balls are all the rage. Back in the rubber/urethane days, "carving a line" wasn't as big a deal cause most of the time, there was only one (maybe two) lines to play on the lane. Now, a person can play deep inside or up the board (or a combination of both on two different lanes). The game has so many variables now (oil ratio, pattern, ball, lane surface, etc) that creating a line is about the only way to be competative. And it's not like there are only a few folks doing this... just about every player on tour (National and Regional) does this or has done this. It's just a facet of the game.

As for golfers not doing this... that's because there is nothing that he/she can do repetitively enough to change an environmental variable to favor his/her game. That's inherent in that game. Carving a line is inherent in ours.

Like I said earlier... some folks find it unfair, others don't. But if you go to a tournament (especially a scratch event), you should prepare for it cause everytime I've seen blatent examples of carving it has always been at these types of competitions (house scratch, high roller, regionals, national events, etc). It seems that when a bowler bowls for money, he/she will do what it takes to win.

I like that.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.