BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#51651 - 03/10/08 01:22 PM Re: Go RVing Classic [Re: Timotheus]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Quote:
Usually when it becomes a big deal is when its done in regular league where a person is used to throwing a certain line and then all of a sudden they have to change and it makes them uncomfortable, which in turn makes them angry.

One of the highest average bowlers in my league has only beaten me maybe twice in 4 years because he is a no thumb type bowler and usually has the whole inside of the lane to himself, so being fairly versatile I move in and play his line with a more aggressive ball than him and dry it out. His feet are firmly planted and he doesn't make adjustments very well, I move even deeper and have a wide open shot and blow him away as he gradually bowls worse and worse, the best thing is he never learns. As a matter of fact my team beat his team for first place in the first half this season. They are running away with it the second half though.

Edited by CoachJim (03/10/08 01:22 PM)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#51656 - 03/10/08 02:32 PM Re: Go RVing Classic [Re: CoachJim]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
There's strategy in bowling. If you didn't realize that before this weekend's TV show, now you know.

You hear all the time on TV that so an so picked which lane to end on or which lane for his opponent to end on. That's strategy. If it were not part of the game, they'd flip a coin to see which lane they start on.

Erin

#51665 - 03/10/08 03:51 PM Re: Go RVing Classic [Re: Atochabsh]
Timotheus Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 25/M/Syracuse, NY
Well Jim I guess I should have included the caveat of "if the other people are smart enough to realize it" lol.
16lb Roto-Grip Neptune (light and dry)

High game: 300
High series: 779

#51676 - 03/10/08 04:49 PM Re: Go RVing Classic [Re: Atochabsh]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Last season a friend of mine told me about a situation like this that happened in his league to him. A bowler on the other team used a dull ball during practice to burn himself a line and a bump at the breakpoint. He told my friends team this and said it would probably effect their lines. The point to sports is to give yourself an advantage within the rules, and doing this is within the rules. I see nothing wrong with it. This is where versatility comes into play when bowling and a ball arsenal. You have to be able to adjust or switch to a ball that will help you get in the pocket and score.
HS:763

#51828 - 03/12/08 01:46 PM Re: Go RVing Classic [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 53/M/Virginia Beach, VA
It's done before every telecast now, to the point where the pattern looks nothing like it did when it was fresh. These guys don't need much room to score, so when you give them an extra board or two, you'd better be on your game if you want to keep up.
It just normally isn't talked about by the bowlers.
Longer/heavier patterns- throw dull equipment up the outside to dry out the break point.
Shorter/lighter patterns- throw plastic just inside the break point to carry oil down and create hold area. Oil pattern management.

Bowl up a Storm!

#51838 - 03/12/08 03:20 PM Re: Go RVing Classic [Re: Fin09]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

Quote:
Shorter/lighter patterns- throw plastic just inside the break point to carry oil down and create hold area. Oil pattern management

Just make sure you can play straight with the boards with the plastic ball or else you will swing it out into your break point and screw the shot up.

#51870 - 03/12/08 08:16 PM Re: Go RVing Classic [Re: CoachJim]
Happy Birthday Rickywin Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 19/M/CA
You can do that with plastic? About how many "balls" (thrown down the lane) does it take to alter the shot?

#51873 - 03/12/08 08:29 PM Re: Go RVing Classic [Re: Rickywin]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

about 5 or 6 over top of each other, those guys are crazy accurate. If you spray the ball around you will mess the shot up before you alter it in a beneficial way.

#51891 - 03/13/08 05:28 AM Re: Go RVing Classic [Re: CoachJim]
Happy Birthday Rickywin Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 19/M/CA
It takes just 5 to 6 plastic ball shots to create an effect? A hold area, I presume? Wow, that's prettttty crazy.

#52008 - 03/14/08 11:31 AM Re: Go RVing Classic [Re: Rickywin]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 53/M/Virginia Beach, VA
Yes, it is. And yes, Jim, definitely stay out of the break point area with the plastic ball.

I still don't like that bowling has been reduced to this, though. You don't see golfers digging troughs in the greens to make their path to the hole easier. Bowlers mangle up a tough pattern so that it plays as easy as a league shot.

Bowl up a Storm!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - 11/19/19 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.