BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 8 of 13 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 12 13 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#141923 - 12/20/10 04:05 PM Re: Building an Arsenal [Re: CoachJim]
BobH Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 54/M/Dallas,TX
I've been looking at the Mission as my "Oil Ball".

Currently:
Ebonite Crossfire - Pearl polished
Hammer No Fear - Sanded (arcing outside ball - large flare)
Ebonite No Limit - Stacked? (long with flip-weight hole)

Looking for ball to use for heavy oil that will roll strong in oil from Left of Center, not be tired when it clears it (like my Hammer does), with strong arcing action.

Am I on the right track?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#141981 - 12/21/10 09:20 AM Re: Building an Arsenal [Re: BobH]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
It is hard to say from where I'm sitting, I haven't seen you bowl, and I don't know the lane conditions you are bowling on, and since I don't bowl anymore I am not up on the current bowling equipment and how it reacts on the lanes, other than ball reviews I have read.

Sorry I can't be of help here. My thoughts are that you might want to look into getting a Theory since it seems to be what you are looking for, and the mission is a little more even rolling and controllable, where the Theory is all about covering boards on the back end of the lane.

#141992 - 12/21/10 10:14 AM Re: Building an Arsenal [Re: CoachJim]
BobH Offline
League Bowler

Well, to give some background... I am a 3/4 roller, @ 15 MPH, Low-Med revs, Stroker. Average 205.

I have a follow-thru that gives me alot of skid, which is why the No Fear ball is an outside ball for me because it has a large flare and is tired by the time it come out of the oil from the inside but works great from the outside. The No Limit is an Inside Ball very useful for burned heads... it ignores them and only rolls the last 15-20 feet or so. If there is an oil flood or very long, the No Limit is useless to me. The reason I am thinking Mission is because of the hype I've been reading that it supposedly "rolls" in the oil, rather than skid and/or flare all over the place, but it supposedly holds the line and has a strong move to the pocket. This would be for a line that would be @ 20/15 to 10/5. I do understand that any ball can be drilled to do a little more or less, but I want to find a OB cover stock and weight block that would survive rollin this line under extremely oily and/or long conditions.

Edited by BobH (12/21/10 10:15 AM)

#142043 - 12/21/10 03:52 PM Re: Building an Arsenal [Re: BobH]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

Start off with it with no weight hole and left in out of box dull before you do anything to it and see how you like it. If I was able to bowl I would have 3 or 4 of them by now, so it is a good ball.
Drill it fairly strong with a 4" pin to pap and keep it closer to the val like about 20 to 30 degrees this will give you a better reaction on the back end and get the ball into a heavier roll when it hits the friction. Put the mb between 45 and 60 degrees from your pap this will help keep the ball aggressive at the break point.

Let me know how you like it.

#142742 - 12/31/10 07:40 AM Re: Building an Arsenal [Re: CoachJim]
BobH Offline
League Bowler

Well CoachJim, I didn't get the Mission. I have a Reign of Fire coming in that I'm going to give a chance to. Gonna keep it OB surface and have already been talking to the Pro Shop owner regarding my expectations and possible Layouts. He's drilled my current 3 balls when I had to lower ball weight and we've bowled together a bit, so I feel he has a clear understanding of what I'm looking for it to do.

We'll find out next week when I take it the "Beast Lane" and see if it can "roll up" there. If I can tame that lane with this ball, there's no telling what it's potential may be!

#142743 - 12/31/10 07:55 AM Re: Building an Arsenal [Re: BobH]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

The Reign of Fire did well at the Nationals last year for many people. On the good side it is not at the top of the food chain, so if it isn't enough ball then you can still go up from there.

Best of luck to you in the coming year.

#143372 - 01/07/11 07:53 AM Re: Building an Arsenal [Re: CoachJim]
BobH Offline
League Bowler

Originally Posted By: CoachJim
Start off with it with no weight hole and left in out of box dull before you do anything to it and see how you like it. If I was able to bowl I would have 3 or 4 of them by now, so it is a good ball.
Drill it fairly strong with a 4" pin to pap and keep it closer to the val like about 20 to 30 degrees this will give you a better reaction on the back end and get the ball into a heavier roll when it hits the friction. Put the mb between 45 and 60 degrees from your pap this will help keep the ball aggressive at the break point.

Let me know how you like it.

Well, don't know the specifics other than 4" and Pin Down. But, let me tell you that I went on the Lane from Hell (End Lane; no league bowling... only open) and after a game of test driving, I was able to use this ball to carve a nice line in an otherwise unshootable condition. I was able to stand 23, roll 9 out to 3, and the ball held the line and rolled up with a strong arc. If I was a little lazy on the release, it would leave 10's. Into the 3rd game I was able to switch to my No Limit (see description above) and roll the original line with the breakpoint coming a little further down the lane. So, the 3 scoring games were 650.

It's nice to have options! thumbsup

ETA: Will have to have weight hole installed. Supposedly it's 15/16's right now, and my Driller would like to add a hole to measure it down a little to keep it firmly in the "safe zone". But he wanted me to roll it a bit to see what shape I would like accentuated.

Edited by BobH (01/07/11 08:11 AM)

#159665 - 12/20/11 10:47 AM Re: Building an Arsenal [Re: CoachJim]
Hunter Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 29/M/Jacksonville, FL
If this thread were to be updated for today's balls instead of 2008, would it look something like this? Using balls mentioned on this site mostly...

Heavy oil: Storm VG Nano, DV8 Hell Raiser, RG Critical Theory Brunswick Nexus f(p+f)/Alpha

Medium oil: Storm Frantic, Storm 2Furious, Brunswick Revolver, Ebonite Mission, DV8 Reckless

Light oil to very dry: Storm Reign Supreme, Brunswick Slingshot, Roto Grip Riot, Storm Tropical Heat

And a SPARE ball smile

Does this pretty much sum it up for the "more common" balls talked about here?
Columbia White Dot

This Season Goals:
Average: 180+
Game: 250+
Series High: 600+ - Achieved 1/25/12 @ 612; 3/13/12 @ 625

#159679 - 12/20/11 12:34 PM Re: Building an Arsenal [Re: CoachJim]
vgnano420 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 25/m/mi
4 out of over 20 brands doesn't really sum it up. Most bowling ball websites all have the ability to focus your search to a particular lane condition. I don't know why you posted this?

If Bowling is a Sport, I'm an Athlete!

#159681 - 12/20/11 12:42 PM Re: Building an Arsenal [Re: vgnano420]
Hunter Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 29/M/Jacksonville, FL
I was looking to see if a new list, containing newer gear could be created. CoachJim's phenomenal original post was for equipment out in 2008, and the rest of the thread is full of great information. Based on the balls on Jim's list, or a new list, I can learn about the science and why they are for certain conditions.

I only posted some of the brands that I most frequently see people talking about. I'm aware there are many other companies and brands, but I am not familiar with them nor read about them enough. Feel free to elaborate and include other equipment.

I'm trying to educate myself, learn more about the game and equipment, and threads like these really do a good job for self-study purposes.

Sorry you feel it was a waste of your time.
Columbia White Dot

This Season Goals:
Average: 180+
Game: 250+
Series High: 600+ - Achieved 1/25/12 @ 612; 3/13/12 @ 625

Page 8 of 13 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 12 13 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Creative Bowling Solutions Power Finger Grips
by MNsportsfan - 0 seconds ago
Last Online 10 days ago
by Dennis Michael - 06/18/19 04:45 AM
2019 Summer Leagues
by wronghander - 06/17/19 10:58 PM
2019 USBC Open Championship's Las Vegas
by wronghander - 05/26/19 11:58 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.