BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#60451 - 06/30/08 05:37 PM Re: Building an Arsenal [Re: Smooth Stroker]
VPmiracle Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 44/M/NM
Coach Jim, terrific thread, I was going to leave a specific post about my current fascination with equipment (yea I got the ball bug all of a sudden). This is after bowling with basically one ball for 4 1/2 years (Columbia Titanium Messenger Pearl, it's the brown Messenger).

I bought a Blue Vibe at Nationals thinking it'd be a good dry lane ball. Boy, that sucker moves more then I thought it would. Our lanes have been pretty bone dry as of late, but it defintely moved more then my Messenger (one bowler friend of mine thinks I've burnt out the Messenger and need a new benchmark ball). BV might even make a decent new benchmark ball for me.

I've been considering, Momentum, Rival, Storm Street Rod Pearl. The guy at Nationals that drilled my ball said I might like their new Psycho (Hammer guy).

The Brunswick booth in Albuquerque was busier then all the others combined.
I talked to the guy there, telling him we bowl on wood lanes and he suggested a
Rampage or an Avalanche. Probably for drier lanes. He said for Albuquerque, I'd need something stronger (I averaged 182 with my Messenger in Albuquerque, My book was 188 last year and 178 the year before, so I was thrilled with 182 avg in ABQ.).

So I guess my question is, stick with Columbia 300, or just mix and match and try them all. It sounds like fun but I know since the Messenger was a good ball for my home house, something similar makes sense doesn't it?

I throw about 13.5 mph at least as measured on the scoring machine. I kind of consider myself a down and in player, THS over second arrow bowler, like to go outside. But with BV, had to go pretty deep inside (for me). Ball worked, have to give it credit.

Edited by VPmiracle (06/30/08 05:41 PM)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#60466 - 06/30/08 09:12 PM Re: Building an Arsenal [Re: VPmiracle]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
The blue Vibe is a pretty good benchmark type ball, it is primarily for drier lanes and or wooden lanes. If the blue vibe (fairly weak ball) is out hooking everything else then the lanes are probably pretty dry, the momentum, and rival might be too much ball and not hook as much as the vibe because they will grab early and burn out.

You are going to need a weaker ball for where you are and something that will compliment your blue vibe, the psycho might work well since it has a stronger core and similar cover, the widow venom might also be a good choice if you like hammer. The Columbia dead flush might also be a good choice if you like columbia, but it is made by ebonite the same as hammer products. If you like the old columbia coverstocks then you might do better with amf or Lane #1 since they are made at the old columbia plant and use the same materials.

#60468 - 06/30/08 09:25 PM Re: Building an Arsenal [Re: CoachJim]
VPmiracle Offline
Junior

I didn't know any of this, thanks a lot.

I asked the guy at the desk last week. They dressed the lanes and they broke down in like 6 frames (and we bowl 4 games). Here's what he told me.

They are using synthetic oil for a wood house. Why? He said the oil for wood is $550 for 5 quarts. The synthetic stuff is $55 for the same amount. Now i'm no expert on this topic, but I guess they're using the wrong oil to save money.

I'm thinking of bowling 45-minutes away in the fall, but then my equipment would really not be appropriate for that place.

Thanks for the reply and sorry about the double post above, my browser acted like it got knocked off line, but i guess the post made it through anyway.

Edited by VPmiracle (06/30/08 09:27 PM)

#60470 - 06/30/08 09:34 PM Re: Building an Arsenal [Re: VPmiracle]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
The double post thing seems to happen when the thread spills over to the next page.

The wrong oil for the wood lanes doesn't surprise me in the least.

The new Bash which is a solid reactive ball would also make a good benchmark ball for that type of lane. When they dry up you may have to go to urethane or polyester.

If you go bowl somewhere else that has synthetic lanes and more oil, then you would be hard pressed to find a better benchmark ball than the rival or momentum, cgeorge loves his avalanche solid which also seems to be a good benchmark type ball.

Edited by CoachJim (06/30/08 09:51 PM)

#60476 - 06/30/08 11:29 PM Re: Building an Arsenal [Re: CoachJim]
VPmiracle Offline
Junior

I really liked the looks (for what that's worth) of the Momentum. The Rival had peeked my interest too. Could've used something a little stronger in ABQ but for once a year, I made hay with my Messenger.

The Brunswick booth at Nationals was 4 times busier then everywhere else, is there stuff that good, that popular? I'm not too familiar with their line but a lot of guys were drooling over the Twisted Fury (I think that's the name, looked like a marble).

I used my plastic ball for strike shots in game four last week, not a whole lot of success but it was moving, rolling it up five and it'd get around the pocket.

I stayed and practiced and that's when I found the Vibe would work. But I was trying to use it off my Messenger line and adjust a board or two or three. I needed to make a major move to the inside and swing it and found a shot on the dry boards for the Vibe.

#60481 - 07/01/08 12:09 AM Re: Building an Arsenal [Re: VPmiracle]
Chubbs Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 30/M/Niceville, FL
I have a Twisted Fury at 1000 Abralon polished, and it is my benchmark ball. Versatility is this ball's biggest asset. On wood lanes, I start out with the Twisted and ball down as conditions require. On synthetic and fresh conditions, the Twisted can squirt so I will ball up if need be. The knock on the Twisted has been that it doesn't handle fresh/flooded or dry very well, but that's not what it was designed for. You can find a line on anything in between that will work well, and from there your adjustments will be small. Very good ball, but it might be stronger than you'd want for your benchmark. Definitely worth a good look, though!

Quintana...that creep can roll, man. -Dude

Wow, that ball hit like it was plastic. -Jeff Carter

#60483 - 07/01/08 12:51 AM Re: Building an Arsenal [Re: Chubbs]
VPmiracle Offline
Junior

Folks were drooling over them at the Brunswick kisok at Nationals.
As you can tell, I spent a lot of time at all the places, trying to find out
information. I came back with info. which led to more questions! Thanks for your input though.

#60493 - 07/01/08 07:23 AM Re: Building an Arsenal [Re: CoachJim]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
I do love my avalanche solid - as a benchmark ball, those with less hand might find it a bit lacking. From your description of your game, and where you are playing on wood, you will need something that is a step up from the Avalanche when you get more a more medium-heavy shot on synthetics. The cover does seem pretty versatile, so you may be able to take it to 1000 or 2000, but at the box finish, it might be a bit long for you as a benchmark ball.

EDIT: As mentioned, the Twisted Fury is a good "one step up" from the Avalanche. As a plus, both are very controllable - having those 2 balls, plus something like a Cell, would be a great 3 ball arsenal that could handle just about anything.

Edited by cgeorg (07/01/08 07:25 AM)

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#60548 - 07/01/08 05:20 PM Re: Building an Arsenal [Re: cgeorg]
VPmiracle Offline
Junior

Thanks cgeorg. Are you a Brunswick fan? I couldn't believe how busy their booth was in Albuquerque compared to all the others. I've usually had columbia 300 stuff
for whatever reason.

#60580 - 07/02/08 12:34 AM Re: Building an Arsenal [Re: CoachJim]
johnw1 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 66/m/Wynantskill/ny/usa
Coach,

If you recall I wasn't too happy in finding a "wormhole" at the bottom of my thumbhole in a newly purchased Twisted Fury. It turns out that the hole is the result of a "straw" that was used in the manufacturing process involving the locator pin. At the same time I wasn't at all happy with the distributor who would not take the ball back unless I submitted photographs of the wormhole...an attempt to photograph the hole was largely unsuccessful.

I did bowl a couple of games and was satisfied with how the ball reacted and have decided to keep it. If I did return it I would have to pay for the drilling the replacement.

In the event I run into dryer conditions that the Twisted Fury can't handle I recently purchased a Roto Grip Neptune.

Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12 13 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by goobee - Today at 07:21 PM
What a Disparity
by goobee - Today at 07:08 PM
Hybrid Ball?
by BOSStull - Today at 11:06 AM
Track My Roll Product
by Dennis Michael - 09/20/17 01:49 PM
Lane Machine Breakdowns
by Dennis Michael - 09/20/17 01:31 PM
PRODIGY BOWLERS TOUR -- 09-16-2017 "BOWLAPALOOZA"
by W9JAB - 09/20/17 11:20 AM
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by BOSStull - 09/19/17 07:09 PM
Slow speed and weak release - matching up...
by mmalsed - 09/19/17 12:16 PM
Riverside Lanes, Laughlin, Nv?
by BowlerBill - 09/18/17 12:08 AM
Oh boy! Oh boy! Oh BOY!!!
by 6_ball_man - 09/15/17 01:41 PM
Help with unknown Rhino
by jeff bruce - 09/12/17 12:40 PM
Reactive Balls are designed to be throw hard!
by nord - 09/09/17 11:39 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2017 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.