BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#50613 - 02/25/08 03:37 PM Re: Tournament Results [Re: CoachJim]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Quote:
12. If the highest current certified league average (21 or more games) as of April 15, 2008 is 10 pins or more higher than the verified average of April 15, 2007, the higher average will be used. If the higher current average is not reported, bowler’s scores will be disqualified.

Here's what I mean. This is taken from our CA state entry form. But if your rules do not have something like this in it, then you are good to go. Though a tournament committee can rerate a bowler, they just have to give you notice and an opportunity for a refund of your entry fee.

Good luck, hit the tournaments while you can.

Erin

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#50626 - 02/25/08 04:53 PM Re: Tournament Results [Re: Atochabsh]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
I've heard the Maryland State Tournament has dropped the 10 pin rule that is similar to the one Erin just quoted. It wouldn't matter to me anyways, since my highest average this year is right around my highest from last year. I think Virginia waived the rule as well.
HS:763

#50653 - 02/25/08 10:45 PM Re: Tournament Results [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
mkee19 Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 32/M/MD
Good job Cgeorg. Calvin, there are plenty of tournaments that I hit that are just up in PA. I take it you're in the Baltimore area right?

Edited by mkee19 (02/25/08 10:46 PM)

#50656 - 02/25/08 10:57 PM Re: Tournament Results [Re: mkee19]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
I had to rerate myself in state many years ago now, from 168 to 205. The problem without that rule is that there's always someone that ups their average significantly, like me and Cgeorge and they have a huge advantage, but only for that year. Problem is that each year there are people like that. Having been in that situation I can see both sides of the issue. I worked hard to improve my average and therefore felt that I deserved that handicap. Now, without that rule, its just a matter of which person each year is in that situation, they will win. If you got to state every year, this can get old real fast.

And we are not talking about those that artificially keep their average down. So it then becomes a battle on two fronts. Those that have improved and those that cheat.

All I can tell you Cgeorg is that I cashed in A LOT of tournaments that year. I was rerated several times and still cashed. I was rerated twice in one monthly tournament. So that's why I tell you to hit as many tournaments now as you can if you are in that situation.

Erin

#50660 - 02/25/08 11:16 PM Re: Tournament Results [Re: Atochabsh]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Yeah I'm in Baltimore, mkee19. I just don't see much in the way of fliers in the local centers for any unless it is something going on there. Like Perry Hall Lanes where the State was last year, they are having a No Tap for St. Patricks day, not sure if its on that day or what since there was no date on the flyer. I haven't even seen one for a few month long tournament in PA that starts in the next few months like I had in previous years. The way I've been rolling lately though....

Erin, as for the way I found out Maryland waived the rule for State was a guy on another forum. He said he had a yearbook of about 160something, worked hard over the summer and is now averaging 200+ and was told the rule was waived, he could use the yearbook and he is going to enter as many times as his money allows. I'm not sure how some will react since its on real wood lanes, and there aren't many of those around the Baltimore area.

I'd like to start bowling in the City, State and any others I can as money allows, and it hasn't allowed me to bowl the City this year.
HS:763

#50665 - 02/26/08 08:01 AM Re: Tournament Results [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
The thing is, last years league avg. was 178, and this year, while it was up to 189 at one point, is back down to 186, following a string of poor performances, some of which are completely my fault (hey, I have to pass the buck a *little*) I think it's more the atmosphere of my league than anything. Next year, I just need to find a more competitive league.

Realized something in the shower this morning. 267 final game + 33 pins handicap = 300.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#50675 - 02/26/08 10:27 AM Re: Tournament Results [Re: cgeorg]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Your scores should not be a response to the caliber of your competition. If you can average 200 then you should be able to do it no matter if your competition averages 150 or 250. It is all about you, you need to focus on your game, your opponent doesn't have any say in how you bowl, but if your opponent is bowling bad and you don't put them away and start missing easy spares then that is you not focusing on your game.

That is the main reason why many people don't make it on tour because their opponent misses a shot and they don't have the stones to focus on their own game and put the game away, they see an opening and decide they can take it easy this game is in the bag, meanwhile their opponent sees an opening and strikes out to win the game. The point is stop being lazy and make the shot. I would suggest that you don't need to move on to the more competitive league unless you can average 190 or better. Remember you are the competition not your opponent.

#50685 - 02/26/08 11:07 AM Re: Tournament Results [Re: CoachJim]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Valid point, CoachJim. There is no need to take on added pressure by moving up. Be the top where you are, and then repeat it. Should you sustain this position, then it may be time to move.

You could always bowl tournaments if you are looking for an additional challenge.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#50690 - 02/26/08 11:25 AM Re: Tournament Results [Re: Atochabsh]
AmpleSound Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 34/M/CO
Originally Posted By: Atochabsh

Here's what I mean. This is taken from our CA state entry form. But if your rules do not have something like this in it, then you are good to go. Though a tournament committee can rerate a bowler, they just have to give you notice and an opportunity for a refund of your entry fee.

Good luck, hit the tournaments while you can.

Erin

Yeah I get what you mean, and hopefully I'll get to take that 149 average. Either way I know that it's the hard work I've put into getting better at the sport, and I've raised my average 21 pins! So for only throwing a hook for 14 months I feel I'm in a good place as to where I want to go with the sport. I just think my two year goal was a bit too small, as there is a lot more I have to learn. I do want a 180 average by the end of this season, though my recent slump is hampering that goal. I'm excited for state this year, and I'm also excited to bowl some more ABT! Best of luck to all, and high scores!
Columbia Plastic - (Spares/Dry)

My best:
HGS - 300
HSS - 769

#50694 - 02/26/08 11:30 AM Re: Tournament Results [Re: CoachJim]
AmpleSound Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 34/M/CO
Originally Posted By: CoachJim
Your scores should not be a response to the caliber of your competition. If you can average 200 then you should be able to do it no matter if your competition averages 150 or 250. It is all about you, you need to focus on your game, your opponent doesn't have any say in how you bowl, but if your opponent is bowling bad and you don't put them away and start missing easy spares then that is you not focusing on your game.

That is the main reason why many people don't make it on tour because their opponent misses a shot and they don't have the stones to focus on their own game and put the game away, they see an opening and decide they can take it easy this game is in the bag, meanwhile their opponent sees an opening and strikes out to win the game. The point is stop being lazy and make the shot. I would suggest that you don't need to move on to the more competitive league unless you can average 190 or better. Remember you are the competition not your opponent.

Something my coach has told me, a lot! Even when he brought in a pro for me to bowl against I heard "if you give him an opening he'll close the door on you!" LOL and I did just that. Though it was an interesting challenge for my mental game. Now I just do what my abilities allow, and I encourage my teammates as well as the opposing teams. If the opponent is cleaning up frames I know I can't do anything about it, besides do my job and follow suit.
Columbia Plastic - (Spares/Dry)

My best:
HGS - 300
HSS - 769

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Good morning everyone...
by Mkirchie - Yesterday at 09:52 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.