BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#50431 - 02/23/08 11:28 AM Re: Wow. I'm terrible. [Re: 2wiSteD]
pmperry Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 37 / M / Florida
I believe some call that style a spinner and yes you're right, it isn't good... The real problem with it, it isn't consistent and is very hard to reproduce the same ball over and over again.

Honestly, though I doubt it is the ball drilling but rather you having to go back to square one and unlearn everything you've learned...

Ultimately, remember this... You don't throw the ball, you let it fall and the speed comes mostly from your total approach (height of swing, push off, speed of your movement).

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#50436 - 02/23/08 02:06 PM Re: Wow. I'm terrible. [Re: pmperry]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
Actually, I think the ball is drilled to come off your hand too early. That is if your thumb is in fact all the way in the ball in the latest video. The ball is being thrown down into the lane. It should be projected straight out, parallel to the lane, at the release point, and ideally, it shouldn't be more than an inch or 2 off the lane.

You need to work on getting lower at the line - it will help you have a more consistent finish, which leads to a more consistent release point.

You need to work on trusting the ball - you are trying so hard to make it hook, that you're actually sabotaging yourself. If you stay behind it, your hand will naturally come around the ball a little bit when you release. That's all you need for a very powerful strike ball, and you'll have tons of room on a house shot.

You need to have the ball plugged and drilled to stay on your hand longer. That probably means less reverse pitch. Ask for 1/4 less reverse pitch. You'll probably also need to shorten your span at least 1/8 of an inch to do this. Since I have gone forward with my pitch and shortened my span, my left arm actually gets tired before my right arm. Why? Because my right arms has to do 0 work to hang on to the ball, and in my stance, my left arm holds the weight of the ball. That's what you want to shoot for - no real effort whatsoever in your bowling arm. It will take a while to train your wrist to stay firm with your whole arm loose, but you will get it, and it will be well worth it.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#50461 - 02/23/08 08:37 PM Re: Wow. I'm terrible. [Re: cgeorg]
2wiSteD Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 20/M/Ga
Guys, what are the chances that the guy drilled it to be left handed? Out of curiosity, I switched hands, and it feels AMAZINGLY comfortable. After holding it in my left hand for a while, when I switch back to right hand, it literally feels backwards.

How can I tell?

15# Power Groove

#50465 - 02/23/08 09:25 PM Re: Wow. I'm terrible. [Re: 2wiSteD]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
How about just putting a picture up of the ball with all the holes showing? Its hard to tell with your hand in the ball. For a fingertip span, the thumb hole is normally off center more under the middle finger. By the looks of how your hands are in each pic it looks like its drilled for a right hander as your right hand looks more relaxed and the ring finger is sitting flatter.
HS:763

#50490 - 02/24/08 01:46 PM Re: Wow. I'm terrible. [Re: 2wiSteD]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
2wisted, you can tell if the span is correct by placing your thumb in the ball, and laying your fingers across the holes. The leading edge of the holes should be no farther than 1/2 way between the first and second knuckle of each finger.

I have no way of knowing if your pitches, or the hole sizes are correct.

The thumb should be tight enough to where you don't have to squeeze the thumb to hang onto it and it should also be tight enough so that if you do squeeze the thumb you will hang up in the thumb.

If your thumb is not this tight you can get some white tape and build up the back of the thumb hole and not more than two pieces in the front so that the pitch isn't altered by the tape.

If your thumb is already this tight and you feel like the ball is falling off your thumb you need to go at least 1/4" forward with the thumb pitch. Keep going 1/4" at a time until you hang up in the thumb, then back off 1/8". If you don't want to spend that kind of time and money then start off at 3/8" forward and go from there.

Edited by CoachJim (02/24/08 01:52 PM)

#50495 - 02/24/08 03:10 PM Re: Wow. I'm terrible. [Re: 2wiSteD]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
Originally Posted By: 2wiSteD

How can I tell?

1) Post the pics of the ball without your hand it it.
2) Did he measure your left or right hand for your span?

#50546 - 02/25/08 01:29 AM Re: Wow. I'm terrible. [Re: Lefty]
2wiSteD Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 20/M/Ga
I went this afternoon and ripped my blisters from last week wide open on the first roll. I took it back to the Pro Shop guy and he remeasured everything. I think he put different finger grips in that are a bit larger, and he opened up the thumb hole a little more. I didn't have a problem the rest of the game. =)

Now I just need to focus on tips from you guys since I don't have to worry about blisters or a sore thumb.

Things I learned today:
- I need to be closer to the foul line before starting my swing.
- I need to start with my right foot.
- I need to get down to the lane more.
- I need to bend over more so that I can raise the ball more to produce ball speed.

Things I (think) have overcome:
- Muscling the ball. I no longer push it down the lane.
- A proper hook. The ball rolls off my fingers instead of my hand turning it over.
- A proper 4-step approach. I feel rushed, but it's way comfortable.
- 'Lofting' the ball. I kind of do this anyway seeing as how I'm not low enough on my release, but I gave it a bit more umph to pick up a spare with a hook. I looked ridiculous because I hopped a bit, but I saw how lofting works.

15# Power Groove

#50557 - 02/25/08 07:59 AM Re: Wow. I'm terrible. [Re: 2wiSteD]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
Where was your blister?

And lofting isn't how you want to release the ball. You want the ball to get on the lane smooth, like an airplane lands and without making a sound if possible.

Watch these guys..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7W26sID7xg

And again, the single best thing you can do to improve your game is to get a coach.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
This is a damned shame
by djp1080 - 10/17/20 08:32 PM
Undercover Boss Bowlero
by BOSStull - 10/12/20 07:16 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.