BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 8 of 12 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#50034 - 02/19/08 01:07 PM Re: You think Pete likes Stone? [Re: Scott Gannon]
Lance Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 21/m/virginia
Originally Posted By: Scott Gannon
Has anyone heard the phrase "Hambone" referred to in their leagues wne someone gets a four bagger?

I am kind of curious to know. I have never heard it yet.

I joke about it in my league. Simply b/c I do not like it.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#50035 - 02/19/08 01:07 PM Re: You think Pete likes Stone? [Re: Scott Gannon]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
I was talking to my buddy on my old team and he said that his dad was saying it. He also heard a few other people in the league say it. That is a mixed league that is non-competitive.

Edited by General Pounder (02/19/08 01:07 PM)

#50036 - 02/19/08 01:10 PM Re: You think Pete likes Stone? [Re: Scott Gannon]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
I have, and it was met with sarcasm.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#50038 - 02/19/08 01:16 PM Re: You think Pete likes Stone? [Re: Dennis Michael]
Timotheus Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 25/M/Syracuse, NY
A guy on my Tuesday team says it, but he does it mainly in a joking manner. He's also very new to the game as of this year so he didn't grow with the history, but he's trying very hard to learn the game and get better.

As for my Wednesday league, I haven't heard anyone say it yet. Though in that league most of the guys are much older (I'm the youngest guy in the league by about 5 years) and most have been around the game for a very long time.
16lb Roto-Grip Neptune (light and dry)

High game: 300
High series: 779

#50040 - 02/19/08 01:19 PM Re: You think Pete likes Stone? [Re: Scott Gannon]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
Originally Posted By: Scott Gannon
Has anyone heard the phrase "Hambone" referred to in their leagues wne someone gets a four bagger?

I am kind of curious to know. I have never heard it yet.

I have.. people had fun with it. And it was in a sport league at that. I know, we're all going to bowling hell.

#50041 - 02/19/08 01:24 PM Re: You think Pete likes Stone? [Re: Lefty]
Odyssey912 Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 32/F/Pittsburgh,PA
Nope - never heard anyone use it.

#50042 - 02/19/08 01:28 PM Re: You think Pete likes Stone? [Re: Odyssey912]
Lefty Offline
Legend

The other thing that no one here has seems to either admit or acknowledge is that Stone makes fun of himself and the Hambone.

#50044 - 02/19/08 01:32 PM Re: You think Pete likes Stone? [Re: cgeorg]
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Jacksonville, NC
Originally Posted By: cgeorg
Forgive me. I thought you were referring to the attitudes of insiders making the sport look very unwelcome to those on the outside. I didn't know you were referring to indoor vs. outdoor.

I guess there was a break in the lines of communication there. My apologies.

But as far as being an insider sport, well, I feel that most people who aren't "in the know" have a hard time understanding it because there's so much skill involved. Sure, knocking down 10 pins at the end of 60' worth of wood (or synthetic material) doesn't look tough, but as well all know it is. Doing it consistently is daunting at the very least and it takes a lot of effort and time to be good at it.

I'm not saying that any sport is easy, because they're not, but because bowling is deemed more "recreational" and not "serious", well, it's tough to get even the casual bowler to understand the full dearth of this sport. Golf, for most people, is recreational, and outsiders who think that "it's so darn easy to hit that little white ball straight" find out it's not the case once they tee up that "little white ball" and try swinging without missing. A lot of mechanics make up a golf swing (as you know), just as a lot of mechanics make up a bowling approach. Golf, up until recently, was somewhat of an "insider sport", but the proliferation of Tiger has made more people appreciate just how difficult it is to play the game at even a bogey level.

But, there too, bowling isn't promoted like baseball, football, basketball, etc. because it's not really seen as "physical". My high school bowling coach promoted bowling better than anyone I know, yet he was not a bowler himself. He respected the sport, understood it's intricacies, and revered those who could "make the pins dance" as he put it. He was the best PR person you could ever want, and he didn't try to "dumb down" the sport. He learned everything he could learn, asked the better bowlers what they knew, and talked to the proprietors. He pitched his "sale" to the board every year to make sure we had a sport that we could enjoy and get a letter for.

Honestly, bowling, like any sport, has it's own "fraternity", and as long as you respect the game you're always welcome into the fraternity. I don't exclude "outsiders", I welcome them. Anyone willing to learn the sport I try to educate, otherwise I wouldn't be here nor would I have bothered to spend money on a coaching certification. However, if you disrespect the game, well, you better prepare yourself for any kind of backlash. I can provide that much as well.

#50045 - 02/19/08 01:35 PM Re: You think Pete likes Stone? [Re: Lefty]
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Jacksonville, NC
Originally Posted By: Lefty
The other thing that no one here has seems to either admit or acknowledge is that Stone makes fun of himself and the Hambone.

That doesn't automatically excuse him, and the fact that he doesn't even take himself seriously actually rubs a little more salt in the wound. But, I know, I have issues. nut

#50047 - 02/19/08 01:53 PM Re: You think Pete likes Stone? [Re: Brian Longo]
Lefty Offline
Legend

He's being self deprecating and having fun with "hambone". He's knows it's a joke. I know it's a joke. Lots of other people know it's a joke. He's not making fun of bowling or bowlers. At this point, he's making fun of himself. The other week he ever said "What did I do?!"

Page 8 of 12 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
No Post Available
by djp1080 - 01/12/21 05:35 PM
We encountered a problem. error
by BOSStull - 01/10/21 02:56 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2021 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.