BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#159638 - 12/19/11 08:32 PM Re: Basic Drill Pattern Info ***** [Re: Kitten Latch]
Hunter Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 29/M/Jacksonville, FL
Yes he did do a bit of measuring and found my PAP, I can't remember what it was for the life of me, but he did go through those steps.

I guess it's a possibility...I am just holding a grudge because he didn't seem very friendly frown
Columbia White Dot

This Season Goals:
Average: 180+
Game: 250+
Series High: 600+ - Achieved 1/25/12 @ 612; 3/13/12 @ 625

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#159653 - 12/20/11 05:36 AM Re: Basic Drill Pattern Info [Re: Hunter]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Quote:
Yes he did do a bit of measuring and found my PAP, I can't remember what it was for the life of me, but he did go through those steps

Is the weight hole on your pap? I don't see anything wrong with the drill pattern you are using here, assuming you have a "Normal" pap. It might be a pinch aggressive, but it is a long and strong ball in the first place I wouldn't put the pin farther from the pap unless you were a more experienced bowler with a high rev rate.

MetGuy, I don't know what you are asking as far as ball strength % if you explain a bit better I will try to answer your question.

#169528 - 08/02/12 10:01 PM Re: Basic Drill Pattern Info [Re: CoachJim]
metguy Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 46/m/waverly iowa
I love this topic, i read it all the time. Sometimes the old ones really deserve to be re-read...

This season: HG-289 HS-685
Career #'s : HG-299 HS-782

Arsonal: Heat (Pearl), 2Fast, Blue Hammer, Raptor P7, Fire Road

TRANSITIONING TO MOTIV EQUIPMENT
(CCWBRA)

#169529 - 08/02/12 10:14 PM Re: Basic Drill Pattern Info [Re: metguy]
metguy Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 46/m/waverly iowa
Originally Posted By: metguy
CoachJim, would it be fair to say that when you get a ball drilled up "Its not drilled even close to its maximum" potential?

If thats correct, what would you say the normal strength % would be for the average bowler walking in off the street?

I would expect the "red flags" or warning signs you are about to purchase a watered down version of a great ball would be if the driller doesn't ask for specifics such as pap or rev rate. Would you agree?

Let me try that again CoachJim. When a bowler walks into their local Pro Shop and asks for a top of the line ball, without knowing specifics such as PAP, Revs, or Ball Speed, they are basically buying a ball with a conservative/general drilling. I would expect NO ball driller to push the bounderies when they don't know what the bounderies are for this bowler.

This buyer would be better served buying a mid-performance ball and establishing those factors (while saving a little cash in the process).

Pro Shops buy their balls in bundles, pin lengths and top weights varying for any type of bowler that may want to buy something specific. If one doesn't know their specifics, they are probably going to get leftovers that are drilled to function but may not be anywhere near bowler specific.
So, just because you buy a great ball doesn't mean you are getting a great ball for you..

This season: HG-289 HS-685
Career #'s : HG-299 HS-782

Arsonal: Heat (Pearl), 2Fast, Blue Hammer, Raptor P7, Fire Road

TRANSITIONING TO MOTIV EQUIPMENT
(CCWBRA)

#169532 - 08/03/12 06:11 AM Re: Basic Drill Pattern Info [Re: metguy]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
I find that many bowlers who used to bowl back in the pre reactive days that are now returning to the game walk into the shop and ask for the top of the line ball because that used to be the thing to do back then, you couldn't go wrong, every ball was for every lane condition, all you needed to do was alter the surface and there was your medium to oily lane ball, dry was for polyester back then.

Now you can get a high performance ball in every price point, but they are condition specific and may not be what that person needs, so spending money on a high dollar ball is a needles waste of money unless you have a specific need for it.

#171339 - 09/22/12 08:43 AM Re: Basic Drill Pattern Info [Re: CoachJim]
icon Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 35/m/new york new york
great article, a lot of detailed information. I wish you local bowling Pro Shop guy would explain patterns so people would understand them.

#176950 - 03/09/13 07:39 PM Re: Basic Drill Pattern Info [Re: metguy]
tomcollins Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 36/M/L.A.
Shouldn't the Pro Shop properly fit the person by getting their pap, speed, axis, revs, watch their release etc...?

#176987 - 03/11/13 02:49 AM Re: Basic Drill Pattern Info [Re: tomcollins]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
Originally Posted By: tomcollins
Shouldn't the Pro Shop properly fit the person by getting their pap, speed, axis, revs, watch their release etc...?

Ideally yes, some people don't care they just want a ball that hooks, anyone taking the game seriously should have a ball laid out for their specs though, not some generic drilling.

#178295 - 04/22/13 08:54 AM Re: Basic Drill Pattern Info [Re: CoachJim]
charliexx Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 37/Male/Riyadh Saudi Arabia
Drilled my Vivid as 45 X 5in horizontal 1in UP X 45, what basically should I be expecting as a reaction to this ball?

And can anybody comment on my Nexxxus and Crossroad, the crossroad is perfect and Nexxxus but track is a bit on medium whatever adjustment on throw I do I cannot get it to track higher what am I doing wrong or is it just OK, both balls hook a ton but the track is on the medium flare with oil rings ranging from 5-6

Attachments
Bowling Balls 2013.jpg

Edited by charliexx (04/22/13 08:54 AM)
Storm Natural / Invasion
Roto Grip Berserk / Defiant Soul
All 14.3lbs - and not even a Storm staffer yet :-)

#178297 - 04/22/13 10:41 AM Re: Basic Drill Pattern Info [Re: CoachJim]
56bird Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 46 Male, Malta NY
Originally Posted By: CoachJim
I find that many bowlers who used to bowl back in the pre reactive days that are now returning to the game walk into the shop and ask for the top of the line ball because that used to be the thing to do back then, you couldn't go wrong, every ball was for every lane condition, all you needed to do was alter the surface and there was your medium to oily lane ball, dry was for polyester back then.

Weird, back around 1990 I was lugging around a Faball Blue Pearl Hammer for medium-dry, an Ebonite Thunderbolt for medium-heavy, and had a green White Dot for the desert. Must have been ahead of my time smile All "label drills" though, I wasn't TOO ahead.

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by goobee - Today at 07:21 PM
What a Disparity
by goobee - Today at 07:08 PM
Hybrid Ball?
by BOSStull - Today at 11:06 AM
Track My Roll Product
by Dennis Michael - 09/20/17 01:49 PM
Lane Machine Breakdowns
by Dennis Michael - 09/20/17 01:31 PM
PRODIGY BOWLERS TOUR -- 09-16-2017 "BOWLAPALOOZA"
by W9JAB - 09/20/17 11:20 AM
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by BOSStull - 09/19/17 07:09 PM
Slow speed and weak release - matching up...
by mmalsed - 09/19/17 12:16 PM
Riverside Lanes, Laughlin, Nv?
by BowlerBill - 09/18/17 12:08 AM
Oh boy! Oh boy! Oh BOY!!!
by 6_ball_man - 09/15/17 01:41 PM
Help with unknown Rhino
by jeff bruce - 09/12/17 12:40 PM
Reactive Balls are designed to be throw hard!
by nord - 09/09/17 11:39 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2017 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.