BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#76340 - 01/21/09 07:52 AM Re: Basic Drill Pattern Info ***** [Re: CoachJim]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
MO rich lists the drilling angle first, the val angle second.

"... a 90°drilling, pin 5" from the PAP, 70° to the VAL"

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#79234 - 02/09/09 10:06 PM Re: Basic Drill Pattern Info [Re: cgeorg]
REman Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 46/m/usa
I do not get this stuff...so is there a good driller anyone knows of in the OKC area? The guy who has done my recent work scares me. This was his response to my wanting a stronger drilling on my ball, which had the pin just above and between the fingers, "It really doesn't matter too much how you drill the ball, it is the coverstock that does most of the work." When I researched this drilling on the Hammer website, it said it was a weaker drilling for medium oil, but I bought the ball for heavy oil. He says if I want more hook, to just sand the ball with 400 grit. I do not know how much I trust this guy after reading this website, but he has been in business for over 25 years.

I have two new balls that need drilled. Who should do it? Do I just "pay my money and take my chances"?

15# Raw Hammer Pain
15# Track Machine
14# Morich Awesome Hook
14# Morich Awesome Flip
13# Columbia WD (Spare Ball)
and a 16lb Columbia Tremor FS or FT

#79280 - 02/10/09 07:46 AM Re: Basic Drill Pattern Info [Re: REman]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
Well, he is right. The coverstock (and bowler) combine for probably at least 80% of the reaction of a ball. Core is probably another 15%. Drilling would fill in the other 5. Tweaking the coverstock of a ball is a very good way to alter the reaction to make it do what you want, and anyone who doesn't experiment with different finishes is (IMO) holding themselves and their game back.

The drilling he gave you will usually be a good compromise between length and backend reaction. Since you don't say what ball it was, there's no way to tell if would be for heavy or medium oil - a drilling does not a heavy oil ball make.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#79288 - 02/10/09 08:28 AM Re: Basic Drill Pattern Info [Re: cgeorg]
REman Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 46/m/usa
That makes me feel a bit better, cgeorg. The ball was a Raw Hammer Pain and is for medium/heavy oil.

My next two balls are both MoRiches (Awesome Hook and Awesome Flip)and there are at least six different suggested patterns for these that seem relevant to me: three for "high track" and three for "standard assymetrical". Should I just take the sheets and tell him what I want, or just assume he will pick the best one for my style? He knows how I bowl, and my style, speed and revs are very similar to his: high track, semi-roller, medium/slow revs, medium speed. This is on lanes that are generally heavy, but occasionally medium.

15# Raw Hammer Pain
15# Track Machine
14# Morich Awesome Hook
14# Morich Awesome Flip
13# Columbia WD (Spare Ball)
and a 16lb Columbia Tremor FS or FT

#132616 - 08/03/10 02:49 AM Re: Basic Drill Pattern Info [Re: REman]
13strikes Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 58/M/Philippines
Coach Jim give me your comments regarding the following: if I use pin to pap distance of 33/8 to 2 balls a high rg and low rg ball with both having high diff.rg I will always get a big hook. Next still using the same pin to pap distance but with low rg diff. I will only get a small hook on the 2 types of ball.

#132623 - 08/03/10 06:15 AM Re: Basic Drill Pattern Info [Re: 13strikes]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
I'm not sure I am following what you are saying, but if you are saying if you put the same aggressive 3 3/8" drilling on two different balls, one that goes longer and one that hooks early, will they react the same because the drilling is the same, the answer is no. The one that goes longer will still go longer and hook sharper, the one that hooks early will still hook and roll early regardless of the drilling.

If you get two of the same ball and drill one with a 5" pin to pap distance and one with a 3 3/8" pin to pap distance, the one with the 5" pin to pap will go longer and the one with the 3 3/8" will hook earlier, how much longer and earlier depends on surface prep and type of ball.

#132627 - 08/03/10 07:17 AM Re: Basic Drill Pattern Info [Re: CoachJim]
13strikes Offline
Bantam

well said coach very well explained just verifying my instinct got some more questions for you hope you won't get tired coach. here's another a friend is selling me his invasion and mutant cell but here's the catch both balls on their 3rd drilling and his using thumb switch. there is a crack stress factor for holes next each other right? is it a good buy or just let it go he's selling it for $42 a piece.

#132659 - 08/03/10 05:55 PM Re: Basic Drill Pattern Info [Re: 13strikes]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
I don't buy used balls, if you want to it's up to you, seems a bit pricey to me, but it may be a deal in the Philippines, I have no idea how much new balls are there.

#132670 - 08/03/10 08:58 PM Re: Basic Drill Pattern Info [Re: CoachJim]
13strikes Offline
Bantam

ha!ha!ha! yes coach jim regular price for used balls here as long as it looks fresh is $50. $40 is a bargain but should be one plug only. invasion 2 months old is being sold at $100.
another question coach my brother gave me his infinite one did'nt plug it yet and tried it. layout is pin right of ring finger and mb75 degrees next to thumb balance hole low along val it goes long but hits flat change the grit to 1200 went a bit longer but still hits flat.don't know the original specs- if i go pin up 33/8 between fingers and mb 45 degrees will it give me snap? its rg is 2.46 rg. diff. is .056 am i thinking the right layout? if not i just return it my brother. thanks again

#135308 - 09/15/10 03:38 AM Re: Basic Drill Pattern Info [Re: CoachJim]
Beastmar Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: San Diego
The info is great! I've read all posts just so that I know what to expect when drilling my new ball

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by goobee - Today at 07:21 PM
What a Disparity
by goobee - Today at 07:08 PM
Hybrid Ball?
by BOSStull - Today at 11:06 AM
Track My Roll Product
by Dennis Michael - 09/20/17 01:49 PM
Lane Machine Breakdowns
by Dennis Michael - 09/20/17 01:31 PM
PRODIGY BOWLERS TOUR -- 09-16-2017 "BOWLAPALOOZA"
by W9JAB - 09/20/17 11:20 AM
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by BOSStull - 09/19/17 07:09 PM
Slow speed and weak release - matching up...
by mmalsed - 09/19/17 12:16 PM
Riverside Lanes, Laughlin, Nv?
by BowlerBill - 09/18/17 12:08 AM
Oh boy! Oh boy! Oh BOY!!!
by 6_ball_man - 09/15/17 01:41 PM
Help with unknown Rhino
by jeff bruce - 09/12/17 12:40 PM
Reactive Balls are designed to be throw hard!
by nord - 09/09/17 11:39 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2017 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.