BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#50193 - 02/20/08 08:59 PM Completely Confused
ChvyKc Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 24/M/SC
Alright, I pretty much had my mind set on a Cell but after talking with my Pro Shop last night I don't know what I want. He said that I probably should go to a pearl ball that is going to get through the heads clean and do most of the work on the back end. Here is what he suggested:

Black Widow Pearl
Brunswick Twisted Fury
Ebonite Raid
Ebonite Complete NV

He was just giving me some examples of balls that he thought I should go with. I want to get your opinions. I'm a cranker with ball speed around 16.5mph or higher. I want a ball that is going to get through the oil and really come around on the back end. Also, I would like something that handles carry down pretty well.

I was thinking along the lines of the Cell, LevRg, or Fury but he completely went the other direction. If you guys agree with him then let me know which ball you like the best. If you don't, let me know why I should stick with a solid ball. Thanks in advance.
Brunswick Copper Attack Zone (Medum-Dry)
AMF Boogie Ball (Spare)
*Slowly replacing my old equipment*

HG:286
HS:751

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#50206 - 02/20/08 10:16 PM Re: Completely Confused [Re: ChvyKc]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
You want something that gets through the heads clean and turns the corner hard on the back end, then you want a strong pearlized or shiny solid ball drilled to go long and snap on the back end.

I have written about ball motion many times on this board, I will summarize by saying that when you release the ball it has some degree of side rotation and as the ball encounters friction it loses this side rotation if the ball's cover prevents it from encountering friction then it will save more side rotation for the back end.

So you might also want to look at the new Ultra Zone and the Total Nv and the Black widow pearl.

#50232 - 02/21/08 08:39 AM Re: Completely Confused [Re: CoachJim]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: m/ Michigan
I went into my Pro Shop (who is also my coach) fully intent on getting the Cell myself because I like Roto Grip products. I went in and described what I wanted. Just as you, I wanted a ball that went a little longer than what I currently had, and snapped at the backend. She recommended the Hammer Black Widow Bite, and I have not been disappointed. The ball is exactly what I wanted. The Cell is going to roll a little earlier, and be more of an arc shape to the pocket. Thats not to say I don't want one..I still do. But for what I wanted, a ball with a stronger backend, for me the Bite is perfect.
I would add the Bite to your list for consideration.
Good Luck smile

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#50235 - 02/21/08 08:59 AM Re: Completely Confused [Re: Tim Gerard]
ChvyKc Offline
Bracket Donor

I went in there telling him that I wanted something that would roll early. I figured that would be the best bet for a heavier oil pattern but he said that I probably would have better luck with a strong pearl ball. I actually wanted something to replace my Chaos which is an early rolling arcing ball but I wanted something a good bit stronger which is why it kind of threw me off when he suggested those balls.

I think that I am pretty much set on either the Black Widow Pearl or the Twisted Fury. I did think about the Ultra Zone last night. I may ask him what he thinks about that. Ultimately the decision is up to me so I need to make my mind up.
AMF Boogie Ball (Spare)

#50243 - 02/21/08 10:26 AM Re: Completely Confused [Re: ChvyKc]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: m/ Michigan
The Cell is supposed to roll fairly early..hmmm..I wonder why he steared you away from it.

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#50245 - 02/21/08 10:44 AM Re: Completely Confused [Re: Tim Gerard]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
Originally Posted By: Eraser
The Cell is supposed to roll fairly early..hmmm..I wonder why he steared you away from it.

Some people like certain companies over others. The Pro Shop that I used to go to hated Storm but that is all I buy. He kept trying to push Track equipment on me. Also, it may be that he knows characteristics of some companies over others. That would be something to ask the driller.

#50247 - 02/21/08 10:48 AM Re: Completely Confused [Re: Tim Gerard]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Quote:
I want a ball that is going to get through the oil and really come around on the back end. Also, I would like something that handles carry down pretty well.

I don't think you are going to find all these things in one ball. Most pearl balls get too skiddy in significant carry down and the rolly dull balls don't "really come around the back end".

And I agree with your Pro Shop, that if you want something that "really comes around the back end" then you need a pearlized ball. The Cell, LevRG and Fury are all early rolling dull balls. They are not meant to have a strong dynamic backend change of direction. Something between the two is the Black Widow Bite.

Keep in mind that your Pro Shop guy knows your center, how its oiled, what kind of lane condition and surface is normally out there.

Erin

#50286 - 02/21/08 06:41 PM Re: Completely Confused [Re: Atochabsh]
ChvyKc Offline
Bracket Donor

I don't believe that he is trying to push a certain company on me. He gave me a fairly wide range of balls that I could go with.

Also, when I said I wanted something that would get through the oil and come around on the back end I didn't exactly mean something that would roll early and also have a very angular back end to it. My Chaos is a ball that rolls early and has an arc movement towards the pocket. That's what I was looking for in my next ball but something that would be significantly stronger in heavier oil.
AMF Boogie Ball (Spare)

#50314 - 02/21/08 11:15 PM Re: Completely Confused [Re: ChvyKc]
Smooth Stroker Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 45/M/Long Island
If you want a ball that gets through the heads and can handle carrydown, then a pearl isn't the answer. Pearls tend to skate in carrydown. that's what they are made for, skidding. Dull balls tend to get into an earlier roll. I would suggest a particle pearl. They are made to get through the heads and grip more than pearls on the backend. They are supposed to be the best of both worlds. I love my Pyro for this exact reason. Or maybe a Hybrid. They can be both pearl and solid.

If you want to replace your heavy oil ball though, you should get a solid matte ball. If you have a pearl ball already, don't get another one.

On second thought, I have just gone over your present arsenal. You have a hole in the middle and at the top. You don't really have a medium oil strong pearl ball. I would get that before I got a heavy oil ball, unless you are either a low rev or a high speed bowler. If you fit that description, then get the heavy oil ball first. If you are more of a Tweener with medium ball speed, get the strong pearl first. Get the ball that will get the most use first.

IQ Tour Fusion
IQ Tour anniversary edition
Lights Out
Natural

USBC level 1 certified coach

#50349 - 02/22/08 09:21 AM Re: Completely Confused [Re: Smooth Stroker]
ChvyKc Offline
Bracket Donor

Yeah, I know that I have two gaps in my arsenal. I really struggle on either heavy or dry lanes. I'm actually not using that Attack Zone either. I usually only bring my Chaos and my Torque to the lanes so I really don't have a very versitile variety in my bag. Those balls are way to close to each other as well.

After thinking about it some last night. I am going to go with a pearl ball. Anything that I get will be a step up from what I already have and it will fill in a spot that I need in my arsenal. Even if the ball is not as strong as I want it, I can always go with something stronger later on.
AMF Boogie Ball (Spare)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Dennis Michael - Today at 03:49 PM
I'm pizzed at my ball driller
by Dennis Michael - 04/14/18 04:37 PM
Better Polish
by W9JAB - 04/14/18 09:03 AM
Recommendations requested
by BOSStull - 04/14/18 08:34 AM
It can't come fast enough
by BOSStull - 04/14/18 08:21 AM
Original Gamebreaker
by BOSStull - 04/14/18 07:28 AM
Some awful lane conditions
by Jason_C - 04/09/18 07:08 AM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by champ - 04/07/18 08:39 PM
A question of degrees
by Fin09 - 04/06/18 01:28 PM
The final cut (Balls in the bag and their job)
by mmalsed - 04/04/18 12:09 PM
For the good of the sport?
by Dylan585 - 03/31/18 11:30 PM
12 pound ball?
by Jason_C - 03/30/18 12:02 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.