BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#50188 - 02/20/08 08:19 PM Drilling options
a straight hook Offline
Junior

A/S/L: -/male/missouri
I am purchasing a black widow bite, but i want to make sure i have the right drilling for what i want.
Stats- i am a tweener with medium axis rotation, and throw about 16 mph
I know the bite has a big move in the back part i want to use that move but drill it so it will hook in the heavy sport shots i bowl on. Any ideas on pin length, cg placement and pin placement????

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#50189 - 02/20/08 08:36 PM Re: Drilling options [Re: a straight hook]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
I need to know a couple of things first where does your ball track or better yet what is your pap numbers. If you don't know your pap numbers (mine is 5 3/4" over 1/2" up), try to figure how far the start of your track is from the fingers and thumb hole.

Second what type of sport shot do you bowl on, long, short or medium and how much oil is there heavy, medium or light, or is it a pba league.

#50197 - 02/20/08 09:16 PM Re: Drilling options [Re: CoachJim]
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Jacksonville, NC
Jim, not to seem petty, but not many people know what "heavy oil" really is. We've been over this countless times. I'd be more interested in the breakpoint over the course of 3 games as in where it is (distance from foul line), if/when it changes, and if it does, by how much. If you bowl on AnviLanes, you can judge distance by the markers on the lanes.

Unless someone bowls on a PBA Experience league, you or I have no idea what shape the shot is nor what the volume is unless we bowl on it.

#50199 - 02/20/08 09:25 PM Re: Drilling options [Re: Brian Longo]
a straight hook Offline
Junior

Ive bowled in two pba experience leagues, and the shot is a flat shot is what i am looking to drill this ball for, a 44 foot flat shot.
PAP is 5 1/2 and 1/4 up

#50201 - 02/20/08 09:52 PM Re: Drilling options [Re: a straight hook]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

For such a long pattern you will need to put the pin around 5 inches from your pap you will not want too much flare, you will need the ball to hold the line more than break it down since the break point will be around the 12 board. You will also need the ball to go through it's hook cycle fast so you will need to place the pin above the finger holes 20 degrees from the val.

You can place the mass bias closer to 10 or 20 degrees from the pin to pap line for a sharp move or 70 to 90 degrees for more of an arc move.

You might want to go to a Rico drilling if you want to play the outside on such a long pattern like the one Barnes used last week.

Rico drilling involves placing the pin in the center of your grip and the mass bias at 45 degrees from the pin to pap line with a weight hole 6 3/4" from the pin on this line.

#50205 - 02/20/08 10:03 PM Re: Drilling options [Re: CoachJim]
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

Originally Posted By: CoachJim
For such a long pattern you will need to put the pin around 5 inches from your pap you will not want too much flare, you will need the ball to hold the line more than break it down since the break point will be around the 12 board. You will also need the ball to go through it's hook cycle fast so you will need to place the pin above the finger holes 20 degrees from the val.

You can place the mass bias closer to 10 or 20 degrees from the pin to pap line for a sharp move or 70 to 90 degrees for more of an arc move.

I would think this would be the better drilling for his style. To make the ball somewhat versatile on this pattern, I would probably place the MB around 30-50 degrees from the VAL. Anything more or less than that becomes pretty specific.

Originally Posted By: CoachJim
You might want to go to a Rico drilling if you want to play the outside on such a long pattern like the one Barnes used last week.

Rico drilling involves placing the pin in the center of your grip and the mass bias at 45 degrees from the pin to pap line with a weight hole 6 3/4" from the pin on this line.

Since he stated himself to be a tweener, I don't know if a Rico would help him. People with more hand can benefit from a Rico much more than tweeners. Just my opinion, though. Personally, I'd choose the 5" pin.

#50207 - 02/20/08 10:30 PM Re: Drilling options [Re: Brian Longo]
a straight hook Offline
Junior

So pin around 5" and the MB around 30 to 50 degrees, would this drilling also be very versatile on a veriaty of sport shots like the viper and the cheetah. A

And i am more of a power tweener, probably around 365-390 revs, but i would prefer the 5" pin with no weight hole than a ball with a weight hole

#50209 - 02/20/08 10:49 PM Re: Drilling options [Re: a straight hook]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

With a revrate that high you will be better off with a 5 1/2" pin and a 20 degree pin to val measurement and a 70 to 90 degree mass bias placement with the weight hole 4 inches from the center of the grip to the pap. This will help hold the ball on line and still give a strong reaction on the back end and be more versitile on lesser patterns.

I doubt that you could use this ball on the viper or cheetah you will need a different ball with the pin below the fingers to prevent it from burning out and no weight hole this will help keep the ball from over hooking at the break point.

#50211 - 02/20/08 11:05 PM Re: Drilling options [Re: CoachJim]
a straight hook Offline
Junior

Yea i was using those as an example, i know this ball soaks up oil, so i am hoping that when i go to junior gold i can use it at the beginning and break down a line for myself very quickly.
For stuff like the cheetah i use my bash, i won a youth pba tournament with the bash playing on the cheetah, viper and scorpian with that ball.

#50213 - 02/20/08 11:42 PM Re: Drilling options [Re: a straight hook]
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

Pretty much anything you drill over 4 1/2" will be pretty condition-specific. I agree with Jim, though, that if your rev rate is in that ballpark, a 5 1/2" pin is good. The MB placement I agree with as well. If you had less of a rev rate, I wouldn't be inclined to think that much of a MB kick would be appropriate. The balance hole will soften the backend a bit.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
This is a damned shame
by djp1080 - 10/17/20 08:32 PM
Undercover Boss Bowlero
by BOSStull - 10/12/20 07:16 PM
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 10:12 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:39 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:32 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.