BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#49927 - 02/18/08 05:01 PM Shot at the USBC Nationals
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Here is the link to the oil pattern for the Nationals this year:

http://www.bowl.com/tournaments/usbcopen/National/laneconditions.aspx

It looks to have about 20 units more oil than the 70 they had last year which was 20 units more than the 50 they had the year before that. This year they have 90 units oiled to 35ft and buffed to 40ft in the middle and 30 units outside of 10 oiled to 15ft and buffed to 40 ft.

How to play this shot:

Use a dull aggressive ball in practice and have others on your team play the same line to open up a dry spot to get the ball to hook from, then change to a shiny aggressive ball to get some hold from the oil in the middle and take advantage of the dry on the outside. With this much oil, low speed players will have an advantage where high speed players will tend to throw the ball through the break point which should be between the 5 and 8 board depending on how you break the shot down.

Let me know if you have any equipment questions.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#49929 - 02/18/08 05:22 PM Re: Shot at the USBC Nationals [Re: CoachJim]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
And as a left hander, do what you almost always have to do on a flatter shot: Play up the boards somewhere around 5.

#49930 - 02/18/08 05:27 PM Re: Shot at the USBC Nationals [Re: Lefty]
Rickywin Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 19/M/CA
Question: I always here pro's creating something for themselves by using dull balls to create a friction point (like the shark pattern, where a couple weeks ago some pro's were using the outside line). What happens when you have to move to another pair? All that lane-grooming on that previous pair doesn't help on your new pair does it? Or is everyone in some kind of agreement to burn out something in the outside?

#50067 - 02/19/08 04:49 PM Re: Shot at the USBC Nationals [Re: Lefty]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

Unlike most years, the lanes should play the same on the right and left side, the right side will break down quicker because of the ball traffic. Usually right handers will be deep inside and the lefties would be out on the gutter, but both sides should start off playing straight up the outside and moving in when the pattern breaks down.

#50069 - 02/19/08 04:54 PM Re: Shot at the USBC Nationals [Re: Rickywin]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

At the Nationals you don't move after every game, so you can groove a shot in if you know what you are doing and your team works with you. In the singles and doubles you are at the mercy of who you rotate with from doubles to singles, one year we had to follow a team of old timers who had old rubber and urethane equipment and carried the whole pattern down into the pits when that happens you will most likely struggle.

#50070 - 02/19/08 04:57 PM Re: Shot at the USBC Nationals [Re: CoachJim]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
Looks like I will be hitting my Special Agent with the 500 abralon pad again this year.

#50179 - 02/20/08 05:44 PM Re: Shot at the USBC Nationals [Re: General Pounder]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

Unfortunately I am not going to be able to go, I will lucky to be back enough to practice by then, but I will not be up to speed by then so I got someone to bowl for me this year.

If I was going to bowl I wouldn't leave home without a Cell to blow a hole in the pattern, and a black widow to move in and take advantage of the dry boards that open up to the outside.

#51339 - 03/06/08 12:29 PM Re: Shot at the USBC Nationals [Re: CoachJim]
David Boulder Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 58/Male/Colorado
Thanks Coach Jim, Sounds like the new Columbia Resurgence and Columbia Rival I'm taking (as well as my Blue Dot spare ball and my Columbia Fear - which it seems I won't likely need!) should work. What do you think?

#51352 - 03/06/08 02:22 PM Re: Shot at the USBC Nationals [Re: David Boulder]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

You might need a less aggressive ball for the Roto Grip challenge.
That pattern is shorter around 37ft I believe, your rival should work, but you might need something a little less aggressive, or maybe a shiny surface on the rival.

#51361 - 03/06/08 03:48 PM Re: Shot at the USBC Nationals [Re: CoachJim]
AmpleSound Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 34/M/CO
Wish I would have tried to get going on the Nationals sooner.... I've got family down there, so it would be a cheap trip lol. Oh well I guess... you snooze, you lose.
Columbia Plastic - (Spares/Dry)

My best:
HGS - 300
HSS - 769

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
This is a damned shame
by djp1080 - 10/17/20 08:32 PM
Undercover Boss Bowlero
by BOSStull - 10/12/20 07:16 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.