BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#49902 - 02/18/08 09:33 AM Re: You think Pete likes Stone? [Re: Brian Longo]
SoCal Jeff Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: Orange County, CA
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What Brian Said!

Plus,

I loved it, Pete has the guts to express what many of the bowlers on tour are feeling!

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#49904 - 02/18/08 11:48 AM Re: You think Pete likes Stone? [Re: Brian Longo]
sixbagger Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: Indiana
The only think I DONT like about hambone and stone is that he gets all giddy and starts talking about it BEFORE the shot is made. Obvious he hasnt got a background in sports , because if he did he would know not to jinx all these bowlers. It seems 90%+ of the time that he starts jawjacking they miss it.

Weber has done that crotch shot for a long time, dont think it had anything to do with "hambone."

Ate at Dennys for the first time in years the other night, its actually a lot better than I thought it would be.

#49906 - 02/18/08 12:20 PM Re: You think Pete likes Stone? [Re: Brian Longo]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: m/ Michigan
Its really sad. Just goes to show you, that if the media, or someone in the media tells you something over and over and over, the sheep will follow and it becomes popular. They tell you what to wear, what music to listen to, what to drive, who to vote for etc. Not many really think for themselves anymore.

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#49908 - 02/18/08 01:14 PM Re: You think Pete likes Stone? [Re: sixbagger]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
Originally Posted By: sixbagger
The only think I DONT like about hambone and stone is that he gets all giddy and starts talking about it BEFORE the shot is made. Obvious he hasnt got a background in sports , because if he did he would know not to jinx all these bowlers. It seems 90%+ of the time that he starts jawjacking they miss it.

So someone with a background in sports would think that a "jinx" was something more than a hokey superstition?

#49909 - 02/18/08 01:15 PM Re: You think Pete likes Stone? [Re: Lefty]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
And I'm still laughing at how worked up people get over this. Really, I actually enjoy opening these threads to get a good laugh at it.

#49910 - 02/18/08 01:19 PM Re: You think Pete likes Stone? [Re: Tim Gerard]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
Originally Posted By: Brain Longo
Bad enough bowling has the stigma of fat, sweaty guys in a large, smoke-filled room drinking pitchers of beer, belching and showing off their "wife-beaters", now we need some idiot to tie something as ridiculous as "hambone" to our sport.

"turkey" isn't just as ridiculous? Doesn't matter if it has history or not. To a person who looks at bowling as a bunch of fat sweaty guys in a ..., "turkey" is the same as "hambone".

Oh come on, a jinx? Really, that's why you don't like it?

Weber has done that crotch shot for a long time, dont think it had anything to do with "hambone."

During the crotch shot, he looked at the booth and said "Here's your hambone," or words to that effect. I think it did have something to do with "hambone"

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#49911 - 02/18/08 02:18 PM Re: You think Pete likes Stone? [Re: cgeorg]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
'Hambone' is only a word. The problem I have with it is who came up with it. If he is off the show next year, hambone dies. If he returns, we will hear it again.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#49940 - 02/18/08 08:11 PM Re: You think Pete likes Stone? [Re: Dennis Michael]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: m/ Michigan
I agree with cgeorg, that crotch chop had EVERYTHING to do with the hambone reference. Weber basically said "I got your hambone right here".
Sorry but I believe Stone will be back. He has brought alot of attention to the sport ,..good or bad,..and I'm sure ESPN loves it.

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#49955 - 02/18/08 11:11 PM Re: You think Pete likes Stone? [Re: cgeorg]
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Jacksonville, NC
Originally Posted By: cgeorg
"turkey" isn't just as ridiculous? Doesn't matter if it has history or not. To a person who looks at bowling as a bunch of fat sweaty guys in a ..., "turkey" is the same as "hambone".

Whether the phrase "turkey" is ridiculous or not is open to interpretation, and apparently your interpretation is pretty contradictory to the majority of bowlers, so I'll take what you have to say on that matter with a grain of salt. In my eyes, it has a historical reference; just as a 5-7-10 is called a "Sour Apple" (why, I don't know, but it is and always has been as long as I've been bowling) and a "Dutch 200" is what it is (why it's called that, I don't know as well - perhaps someone from Denmark threw it first and the name stuck). "Hambone" has no historical reference, just some stupid blabbermouth who decided to think of something "cute" to come after "turkey". As I mentioned in another thread, had it been someone with some ties to the sport that came up with it, I probably wouldn't mind, but I don't care too much for some idiot who probably thought bowling wasn't a "legitimate sport" before he was sent to work the telecasts coining a new phrase.

And I never particularly cared for what "outsiders" thought of bowling or the "stigma" it carried. My way of thinking has always been, "You either like it or you don't. Either way, I don't give a rat's patootie what you think so keep your bodily fluids out of my Cheerios and you go find something else to do." I went through a bunch of bull in high school with bowling with people as high up as the athletic director calling for bowling to be cut from the budget because "it wasn't a legitimate sport" despite the fact that it was the sport that brought home the most championships in the history of the school and it was the most proud sport in the school. Yeah, I have some deep feelings about people messing around with the sport I love, and I don't particularly care for "outsiders" trying to either tarnish or badmouth it. At least we don't have to worry about steroids.

Originally Posted By: Lefty
And I'm still laughing at how worked up people get over this. Really, I actually enjoy opening these threads to get a good laugh at it.

To me, it's all about respect. I believe it's disrespectful to "add color" to something that didn't require color. It would be no different, in my eyes, as me walking into another industry that I knew nothing of and creating a whole new set of jargon and trying to get everyone to use it or to like it. It's just not kosher. If the "man" (and I use that term loosely) had a modicum of respect for bowling, he would've at least run it by a few people "in the know" instead of blurting it out and thinking he's all cool because he coined a new phrase. It...just...ain't...cool.

If you wish to let it roll of your back, so be it. That's your choice entirely and I respect that. I choose not to just "let it be", and I won't be shy about voicing my displeasure. I see nothing gained by "adding another item to the menu", so to speak, other than to "spice up" something that had enough flavor to begin with. Now, his "ten pin party in the pit" is cool, and actually pretty creative, since it doesn't lend itself to "naming a series of strikes". He can use that all day and it wouldn't bother me. "Hambone", though, just strikes a nerve.

#49969 - 02/19/08 08:46 AM Re: You think Pete likes Stone? [Re: Brian Longo]
Timotheus Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 25/M/Syracuse, NY
Disregarding my own personal opinions about Stone, he is learning more about the game week to week and does have an excitement about it that you can't really find in a lot of broadcasters nowadays.

As for the hambone thing, I won't use it but if someone else wants to then that's their choice. The phrase does seem to be drawing in more fans which is good, but I hope those fans take the time to learn more about the game than just what they see on TV.

"Dutch 200" has its roots in "going Dutch" when you go out to eat or something. You split the bill down the middle 50/50, and a Dutch 200 is a 50/50 split of strike in one frame, spare in the next, strike, spare, strike, spare, etc.

Gone are the days when people learn about something or watch something because they're interested in it. Nowadays its all about whats "cool," and unfortunately bowling isn't "cool" because its not "sung" about in hip-hop songs or played in highlights on Sportscenter. But then again, the only things that are are football (which they put on a pedastal) and baseball (which they're dragging through the mud) and basketball (which is the only sport they actually cover the right way).
16lb Roto-Grip Neptune (light and dry)

High game: 300
High series: 779

Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 ... 11 12 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
This is a damned shame
by djp1080 - 10/17/20 08:32 PM
Undercover Boss Bowlero
by BOSStull - 10/12/20 07:16 PM
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 10:12 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:39 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:32 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.