BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#9115 - 05/22/06 03:45 PM MD-PA-NJ ABT
Reido Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 49 / M / York, PA
All:

I tried e-mailing the ABT to ask a couple questions, but the link or something is messed up. I'm looking to maybe get into ABT, but I'd like to know more about the setup.

How many people are assigned to a lane? I've been told as many as six at a time. How often does this happen?

What kind of condition is put down, a modified house shot, sport or something in between? I've heard that this varies as well.

Are there any members who travel 100 miles or more for the tournaments?

All answers are welcomed...

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#9116 - 05/22/06 08:22 PM Re: MD-PA-NJ ABT
Zackneden Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: 30/m/florida
I joined ABT about a month back, I'll answer what I can.
They try to keep the number on a pair down but I guess its really dependent on the size of the squad. When I went there were 3 to a pair and it was basically like chasing each other around the ball return. I would have preferred a couple more on my pair so I had a little time to breath and think between frames.
The conditions are definitely varying depending on what the house has available. You could end up with just a house shot or a sport shot or a PBA pattern I guess if the house has the capabilities. In my area ABT doesnt bring there own lane machine so they are at the mercy of the house.
Last one I bowled in had a very flat pattern with a lot of oil on the outside. the people who scored best played very straight.
I am bowling in one on the 3rd, I have to bowl 2 squads so I can get into the regional in mid june.
If you're going to go, you better find a way to score, I was +101 with handicap and missed the cut by 60 pins. yeah thats right 761 series was low qualifier on my squad. The upside is there are some really good bowlers out there to talk to, friendly, helpful and I can see making some real friends out of it.
I live in a pretty major area where bowling is pretty prevalent there's an ABT tourney almost every weekend and I dont have to drive more than 10 or 15 miles unless its to a regional tournament which I havent bowled in yet.
Its good experience, I highly recommend it.

#9117 - 05/22/06 11:54 PM Re: MD-PA-NJ ABT
ExBronxiteBowler Offline
PBA Senior Bowler

A/S/L: M 66 Staten Island, NY
If the followed the pba rotation, the pace would be slower...

761 was the CUT for 3 games? Hmm, I say the scoring pace was a bit on the very high side...

#9118 - 05/23/06 05:38 AM Re: MD-PA-NJ ABT
Jock Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 51/M/France, right handed
Does that mean that you bowled a 200 average (scratch) and didn't make the cut? WOW. sick

#49239 - 02/08/08 08:17 PM Re: MD-PA-NJ ABT [Re: Reido]
Reido Offline
League Bowler

Hi All:

I've been away for a while.

I joined the ABT back in October. It's been a humbling experience for me to say the least. I'm averaging about 162 in ABT and 210 in league. I think that's a statement that something's amiss somewhere.

I think the biggest problem (I acutually thought this today) is that I try to do TOO much changing of my game to try to do better. I remembered today that a coach told me that deliberately and conciously slowing down can hurt you more than going at your natural pace for that day.

I also think I've got to get used to the "tournament atmosphere" too. The check-in, the paperwork, the shirt with your name on it and all the other "overhead" takes some getting used to.

I'm gonna give it a go Sunday in Pennsville, NJ and see what happens. I need to do 2 more tournaments and then I can get re-rated into the lower division if needed (read probably).

I'll stop back next week and post the results of my latest shot at glory.

#49410 - 02/11/08 04:48 PM Re: MD-PA-NJ ABT [Re: Reido]
Reido Offline
League Bowler

Hi All:

I finished +19 (including handicap) for the tournament. That's my best yet and I finally had a scratch 200+ game, actually 2, a 236 and a 212. The first 2 games were in the toilet, but I was able to get back up and started to feel like I belong.

Finally....a positive result !

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by BOSStull - 10/04/19 06:17 PM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by BOSStull - 09/22/19 11:01 AM
USBC Rule 12
by BOSStull - 09/22/19 10:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.