BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#47586 - 01/13/08 09:15 PM Lefty Telecasts
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
Why is it that, unless everyone on the show is a lefty, they always shoot from the right-handers' side? You can't see their release, you can't really see the shape of their shot. I just started watching this how on my DVR, and I would really like to watch Page and Allen from the left side. Incidentally, it looks like Allen turns his hand a bit early, but I can't tell BECAUSE THEY'RE TAPING FROM THE WRONG SIDE.

Also, nice to see Big Wes is back. I'll have to watch the round of 8 coverage on Xtra Frame - his round of 8 match was a defeat of Sean Rash.

Finally - Randy just did the "Cowbell" skit, but with hambone instead.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#47592 - 01/13/08 09:41 PM Re: Lefty Telecasts [Re: cgeorg]
Brandon510 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 28/Male/California/Philippines
You i never thought about it, but your right they always do shoot from the right side. hmm good question but probally since they only have about 6 lefties exempt bowlers on tour they went with the odds.

Edited by Brandon510 (01/13/08 09:42 PM)
BowlSk: Stats

#49113 - 02/07/08 01:51 AM Re: Lefty Telecasts [Re: Brandon510]
kagekikr Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 34/M/Michigan
And with only 6 exempt lefties on tour, isnt it funny how often we have ALL LEFTY shows, or three out of four lefties? Who said lefties don't have it easier?

editors note:
mad Kagekikr is a card carrying member of the IHL

Edited by kagekikr (02/07/08 01:53 AM)
Elite Blue Alien
Brunswick Scorchin' Inferno
Brunswick Inferno
Brunswick Plastic "Spare" Ball

#49164 - 02/07/08 04:26 PM Re: Lefty Telecasts [Re: kagekikr]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 51/M/Virginia Beach, VA
If you had any idea what you were talking about, you'd realize that if the lefties had it "easy", there would be more than 6 exempt lefties out there. There are one or two shows a year where there are more lefties than righthanders.

Bowl up a Storm!

#49352 - 02/11/08 06:28 AM Re: Lefty Telecasts [Re: Fin09]
kagekikr Offline
Bracket Donor

Mr. Fin,

Since I have NO idea what I am talking about, why don't you explain to me the odds of a field of proffesional bowlers where there are 7 or 8 lefties and 50 some righties, and all or most of the stepladder finals is southpaw. I am not arguing that ALL of the exempt bowlers are phenomenal, they are, or they wouldn't be there. But how can you justify that on a regular basis, as you say once or twice a year, a field of 64 with nearly 60 righties can be whittled down to only southpaws, if there is not a distinct advantage on the left side of the lane? What I do know, is that I didn't have to look at your profile to make an educated guess that you were a lefty. You have some very nice scores to your credit. Congratulations. In that respect, I will also say that you too, must be a very good bowler, but I also KNOW that unless you bowl predominantly with full teams of left handed bowlers, you are not facing the type of adversity that those on the right side face on a frequent basis. I am not trying to say that you still don't have to make good shots, you do, but I have had GREAT left handed bowlers admit to me that the lined up in practice and didn't have to change a thing all night. With the equipment and high rev rates of many of the PBA players, conditions are subject to break down even faster, which only increases the advantage to a left hander out on tour. Can you honestly tell me that on those one or two shows a year that are all or mostly lefties, that you don't think they had a better look out there? Why aren't there more lefties on tour? A study in the late 80's estimated that 7-10% of the population was left-handed, and the current ratio of right to left handed bowlers in the PBA falls close to that ratio. It takes talent, drive, skill, support and much more to make on today's tour and that's why a ton of excellent bowlers, maybe even yourself, don't even try to make it on tour, regardless of which hand they throw with. But it's pretty simple, even for a guy like me who has no idea about anything bowling right? If you take 64 guys and have them throw balls that soak up and move oil on the lane, 57 of them are throwing on the right side, 7 are throwing on the left, who will have the more consistency if they are able to repeat shots?

Edited by kagekikr (02/11/08 06:30 AM)
Elite Blue Alien
Brunswick Inferno

#49564 - 02/13/08 11:55 AM Re: Lefty Telecasts [Re: kagekikr]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

Well, it's been kind of a sore subject with me for awhile, so I didn't mean to come across as short as I did, so for that, I apologize.

But, with that being said, here's a lot of the problems with the left-right inequity issues on tour.

One or two shows a year will showcase an all-lefty field, or a field with maybe one right hander. On these particular weeks, the left side started out playable, and stayed that way. Chances are, it was on the chameleon or viper pattern, which the left side has always been able to score on. Most other weeks, both sides start out tough, but the right side opens up due to the bowlers methods of attack. The conditions turn into a glorified league pattern on the right, but stay difficult on the left. As a result on those weeks, you rarely see a lefthander on the show.
So, there are times when having a condition hold up is good, and there are times when that is a bad thing. The bottom line is that there are fewer and fewer lefties on tour each year. A couple lost their exemptions after last season, and no new lefties earned one. Rhino is coming out of the TQRs a lot this year, and he may be the only new exempt lefty next year. One of the toughest things to do right now is earn a living on the PBA tour as a lefty, especially if your last name isn't Allen, Bohn, or Couch, all of which are hall of fame caliber bowlers.
So, having one or two shows a year where the lefties are allowed to score is hardly enough to say they have it easy.

And, yes, obviously, I'm lefthanded, and there are weeks where I don't have to move much (if at all), but there are also weeks where I go through all 5 balls in my bags, and still don't ever find anything that works. It is normally an advantage in most leagues, but not normally on a PBA condition.

Bowl up a Storm!

#49588 - 02/13/08 03:07 PM Re: Lefty Telecasts [Re: Fin09]
ChvyKc Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 24/M/SC
Generally speaking, lefties will have an advantage due to the lane breaking down. There are some conditions where you would like some more people throwing on your side to help get some of the oil out of there. For the most part though, lefties are going to have a better chance of throwing more consistent shots and keeping the same line longer.

I actually benefit from more bowlers throwing on my side of the lane since I struggle with really oil conditions. It gives me more of a bumper since I usually throw deeper than most players. I can throw threw the oil out to where they are drying it out and get the ball to snap back. There are arguements on both sides for advantages.

BTW Fin, I just got back from visiting Virginia Beach. My wife and I went up there to visit one of my friends and we went duck pin bowling. It has to be the hardest sport I have every played. Even harder than golf.
Brunswick Copper Attack Zone (Medum-Dry)
AMF Boogie Ball (Spare)
*Slowly replacing my old equipment*

HG:286
HS:751

#49601 - 02/13/08 06:00 PM Re: Lefty Telecasts [Re: ChvyKc]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

I will sure agree with you about duckpins. Completely different game! Better to drink and have fun with, in my opinion.

The bumper you describe is exactly what happens on tour when the bowlers burn a hole in the pattern. If you've ever seen any of the qualifying rounds of a national tour stop, you'll see guys throwing sanded equipment up the outside in practice, and sometimes for the first couple of games of a block. They all work together to dry out the break point, giving them a larger target to hit. The left side simply doesn't have enough traffic to accomplish this, so tight lanes stay tight.

Bowl up a Storm!

#49626 - 02/14/08 01:21 AM Re: Lefty Telecasts [Re: Fin09]
kagekikr Offline
Bracket Donor

Your point is well made, but I still contend that on those weeks when you see the All-Lefty bonanza's, they clearly had it easier. I know, however, that the same would be true if there were more lefties than righties out there. You take what you get, and I see where your coming from. My youngest looks like he's going to be a lefty, so I can't hate all lefties anymore! This Rhino Page is doing great too! Darnit, my IHL membership is going to get revoked...
Elite Blue Alien
Brunswick Inferno

#49639 - 02/14/08 08:59 AM Re: Lefty Telecasts [Re: kagekikr]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
There are certain stops on the tour that the lefties make sure they bowl, such as Spartensburg. Some of the centers are known to be lefty friendly with the lane topography, the right pattern and other factors. I believe that one of the [censored] Weber classics in the past few years gave an advantage to the lefties with the old school pattern they used. It was even talked about on the telecast. Some tournaments while not meant to cater to the lefties do end up giving them a slight advantage. I'm not going to take anything away from any of the lefties on tour though. They have the talent to bowl with some of the best, become exempt and stay on tour year after year. Most of them will go into the PBA Hall of Fame. No matter what it comes down to ability, both physically and mentally to perform at the level no matter which hand you use.
HS:763

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 10:42 AM
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Mkirchie - 10/21/18 07:57 AM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.