BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 76 of 137 < 1 2 ... 74 75 76 77 78 ... 136 137 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#49063 - 02/06/08 12:25 AM Re: 2007-2008 Fall/Winter leagues ***** [Re: slimmy]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
I need help....... picking up a 10 pin. Ball was rolling really nicely tonight. If it wasn't a strike, it was a 10 pin. I moved. I changed balls. I changer releases. I changed speed. I shortened my approach. Lengthened it.

Get a double, then a 10 pin. I actually started a game with 4 strikes, then 4 straight 10 pins, missing 3. I missed 3 in the first game, 3 in the second game and 2 in the third game. No rhyme nor reason, just missed.

I had 10, ten pins tonight. And missed 8 of them. All rolling to the left. I even nicked 2, but they didn't fall. These were the only opens I had. 8 ten pins. But, you can't score high with 8 opens.

188, 182, 192.

But, 8 missed ten pins. I really can't believe it. I gave up on my spare ball, cause I couldn't pick the darn thing up. I can't pick it up with any ball.

I need Coaching and lots of practice. This is something that I have missed this year, Practice. And, boy does it show.

Oh, we won all 3 tonight, cause the other team didn't show due to the ice storm we had. We only had 3 of our 5 bowlers.

Did I say, I HATE 10 PINS!!!
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#49065 - 02/06/08 12:54 AM Re: 2007-2008 Fall/Winter leagues [Re: Dennis Michael]
kagekikr Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 34/M/Michigan
I used to hate them too, Dennis. I can't believe I am going to say this... but... I don't mind leaving them anymore. You are right though, the key is to practice them. Alot. I personally feel, and I know it was true for me, that the biggest problem with picking up the darn 10 pin (7 for south paws) is mental. All in the nugget! Let's face it... it is about standing in the right place, hitting your mark, and if your throwing a plastic rock, that's it. Now, your not going to have the kind of area for error that so many have come accustomed to with their strike shots on these walled up house shots, but if you can hit your mark with some consistency on your first shot then there is NO reason you should struggle with the ten pin, or ANY single pin spare for that matter. That is what it came down to for me, getting it out of my head that it was a tough spare. It is the same fundamentals as any other, line it up, hit the mark, knock down the pin. Now Dennis, I am not going to say that I wouldn't be upset by the mere fact that I left ten 10 pins in one set, I would. I typically don't leave more than a handfull in a night. Monday, for instance, I left 4 all night. One was in the second game and the other three were in a four frame span mid-way through the third game. A slight adjustment alleviated those, and I was able to finish strong. Mind over matter. That's the key... oh, and yeah, practice.
Elite Blue Alien
Brunswick Scorchin' Inferno
Brunswick Inferno
Brunswick Plastic "Spare" Ball

#49068 - 02/06/08 01:49 AM Re: 2007-2008 Fall/Winter leagues [Re: kagekikr]
Sparky One Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 32/M/MT, United States
I started off hot this week as well. I had four straight strikes, then 9-spare, then I missed a ten pin just like Dennis and my game fell all to hell. It's hard enough to deal with the physical aspects of my game without adding the mental aspect to it. (i.e. not being able to hit the ten pin to save my life) I know how to get the ten pin, I've done it many times with great success. However, it does not seem to be a part of my game anymore. Everytime I make one step forward in my game, I end up taking three steps back. I wish I had a coach in my town or even a nearby town. I do have a video camera, so I guess if I want to get better...I'll have to submit it for you all to help me out.

Brunswick Target Zone Blue/Black/White - 14#

Lane Masters The Buzz - 14#

#49071 - 02/06/08 08:44 AM Re: 2007-2008 Fall/Winter leagues [Re: Sparky One]
Timotheus Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 25/M/Syracuse, NY
232, 243, 191 for a 666 for me last night. Was having a few problems with my timing, and a few of my strikes were pulled brooklyn or were just ugly, but for the most part I was dead on. Lets see if I can carry that over to tonight's league.
16lb Roto-Grip Neptune (light and dry)

High game: 300
High series: 779

#49072 - 02/06/08 08:44 AM Re: 2007-2008 Fall/Winter leagues [Re: Sparky One]
Timotheus Offline
Team USA Contender

Edit: Double post.

Yeah 10 pins suck. I missed two of the 6 or 7 I left last night. I used to be terrible at them, then one day I just did something right and ever since then I've been at about 85-90% efficiency with them.

#49078 - 02/06/08 10:14 AM Re: 2007-2008 Fall/Winter leagues [Re: Timotheus]
AmpleSound Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 34/M/CO
I found my problem with 10 pins was nothing at all... You have to be in the right mindset, and positive about picking them up. I used to dread the 10 pin, and always had negative thoughts about missing them. Or saying "I hope I get this" in my head. Well not anymore, I might be a little [censored] about the shot I threw. Because we all know that if we hit the pocket we expect it to carry lol, at least I do. Once I finally did this mental adjustment for myself, I've only had one real bad week over the last month and a half. So this was a recent change. Much like kagekikr said, don't let them get to you Dennis! Just go out and own those 10 pins.

Edited by AmpleSound (02/06/08 10:15 AM)
Columbia Plastic - (Spares/Dry)

My best:
HGS - 300
HSS - 769

#49079 - 02/06/08 10:18 AM Re: 2007-2008 Fall/Winter leagues [Re: AmpleSound]
Timotheus Offline
Team USA Contender

Yeah you just kind of stopped being afraid of the 10-pin and now its more of a "ok I got this" type of mentality.

Anytime I leave a 10-pin solid, either dead or ringing, I know why and I know how to fix it. From there its actually making the adjustment to fix it.

#49081 - 02/06/08 10:31 AM Re: 2007-2008 Fall/Winter leagues [Re: Timotheus]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
I thought I could change the results. In the past, I have had success in eliminating 10 pins. But, last night was something different. It happened one other night in this league just before XMas.

My teammate and I roll similar balls. Both getting good hand behind the ball, and both of these nights, we were warned that the lanes were not too oily. This is a new house for me, and what was described as an oily house, really isn't. My teammate, who has bowled here before, says it has changed this year.

The back ends seem especially dry. It changes your normal entry angle and axis of rotation. Adjustments can be made by moving to change the entry angle, but I have trouble changing the axis. So, I fight it.

Oh, he got 10 pins too. But he only missed 1.

It is a mental thing, and practice with reassurance in my confidence is the key.

This problem started when I got my first spare ball. I had a lot of trouble targeting the 10. My Coach moved me 8-10 boards outside of the dots. The spare ball would go in the channel 5-6 feet in front of the pin. So, I shelved it, and went to an older ball, but I can't find the right angle without practice. Especially on dry back end.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#49082 - 02/06/08 10:55 AM Re: 2007-2008 Fall/Winter leagues [Re: Dennis Michael]
Timotheus Offline
Team USA Contender

I was actually explaining how the entry angle affects the chance of leaving a 10-pin last night to one of the guys on my team when we were looking at the new ball catalogues to see what balls we were going to get (our league is a "free ball league" with the option to upgrade from plastic to entry, mid-level or high performance for additional cost; I just got a White Dot to retire my old Boss that I was only using for 10-pins anyway). I was using the lane graphics showing the hook characteristics for each ball as a visual guide to explain that a dead or ringing 10 happens when the ball comes in too shallow and drives the 3 pin more straight back and kicks the 6 in front of the 10, whereas a steeper angle will kicks the 3 more sideways into the 6 and cause the 6 to knock out the 10 because it goes more back and less to the side.

Actually, now that I think about it, this league is basically free. Its supposed to be $10 a week, but every week we get 5 free games (a game there costs about $3.50) plus a new ball for free if you don't upgrade at the end of the league. Basically the house ends up paying us to bowl in the league, unless you upgrade the ball which is $50 for an entry level upgrade, $75 for a mid-level upgrade, and $110 for high performance upgrades. And those prices are about 45-65% less than what you would normally pay for those balls. What a deal!

#49083 - 02/06/08 11:51 AM Re: 2007-2008 Fall/Winter leagues [Re: Timotheus]
Jbigdog Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 27/M/Boise, ID
If feel you need to make a drastic change to consistently hit 10 pins, start learning to throw straight at them. Lane conditions don't matter if the ball is rolling the same direction as the pin you need to pick up. I started shooting straight at my 10 pins about 4 years ago, and once I had it down I stopped saying, "Oh great, another ten pin :(", and started saying, "Thank goodness I left an easy spare". Now of course I'm horribly out of practice after not bowling for a couple years and have to work on it again, but at least I know what to work on now.
White Dot (FUBAR lanes and Spares)
Silencer (Retired, but in the trunk just in case)
AMForce 1 (Retired, but in the trunk just in case)

Page 76 of 137 < 1 2 ... 74 75 76 77 78 ... 136 137 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Any interest in a winter virtual league?
by SteveH - Yesterday at 10:22 PM
Nothing worse than falling apart late in a game
by Jason_C - Yesterday at 10:04 PM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 09:15 PM
Which ball
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 06:18 PM
Entry Angle
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 12:09 PM
Honor scores 2017-18
by Fin09 - 11/17/17 07:27 PM
My low track
by Jason_C - 11/17/17 01:38 PM
Back-up Bowling
by djp1080 - 11/16/17 08:31 PM
Has this happenned to any one
by 82Boat69 - 11/14/17 01:24 PM
Two handed with pinky and ring
by Dylan585 - 11/13/17 02:48 PM
2017 U.S. Open
by Dylan585 - 11/12/17 05:48 PM
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by SteveH - 11/05/17 09:51 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2017 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.