BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#48447 - 01/27/08 06:11 PM Subbing
Lance Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 21/m/virginia
So I'm considering subbing tomorrow night on a mixed league. I know I need to get USBC sanctioned, but it seems like subbing would be a bit awkward. Any advice or general guidelines to go by for subbing? I work at the center, so I at least know whoever is working.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#48448 - 01/27/08 06:27 PM Re: Subbing [Re: Lance]
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Jacksonville, NC
The only advice I can give you is be yourself and don't embellish anything about your abilities, etc. If someone asks how good you are, just be humble. You won't have an established average for comparison purposes, so just tell people "I'm learning" or something to that effect.

Most of all, do your best, but also enjoy yourself regardless. The best time to "seek out" future teammates is to observe bowlers and to mingle with them and get a feel for them because nothing is worse that dedicating 30+ weeks of your time and hard earned money with people you'd rather stuff into a ball return.

#48449 - 01/27/08 06:33 PM Re: Subbing [Re: Lance]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Its not a case of knowing anyone that works at the center, other than if you feel like you want to talk to someone and the people you are bowling with aren't talking with you. As for the subbing part, just have it announce by the front desk that there is a sub available. Then when you bowl, know any information you need such as yearbook average if you have one(there should be a yearbook at the front desk that you can find this in), if you were sanctioned the year before your USBC id number or if you are already sanctioned for this season what league you were sanctioned in. As for the bowling itself, just do your best and have fun. I've heard where some people have used subbing opportunities to work on their game, try a new ball out or to try something they wouldn't in there regular league because it doesn't really effect them. I think thats not right because it can effect the team they are subbing on if it doesn't work. Thats just my opinion.
HS:763

#48450 - 01/27/08 06:39 PM Re: Subbing [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Lance Offline
League Bowler

My last average I would have would be years ago from a YABA league and that'd be oh about 30-60 pins under where I am now. I have never been USBC sanctioned, and I would try my best, b/c I don't want to screw over a team, thats not cool.

#48451 - 01/27/08 07:35 PM Re: Subbing [Re: Lance]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Like Brian said don't tell them you are better than you think you are, tell them you are just learning and want to establish an average.

Lets say you feel comfortable you can shoot 160s without a problem, just try to give them 3 games in the 140s that way you have 3 consistent games that will not hurt the team you are bowling on. You have not established a handicap or average so there is no such thing as sandbagging, giving a team 3 descent scores is better than one game in the 190s and two games in the 120s, stay within what you can do and don't make mistakes or try showing off or trying to out hook someone else, just keep the ball in the pocket and make your spares the next thing you know you will have given the team you sub for 3 160+ games. If you don't take each shot one at a time and worry about your scores you will set your expectations too high and put too much pressure on your self.

#48457 - 01/27/08 10:08 PM Re: Subbing [Re: CoachJim]
Smooth23 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 23/M/Jackson, MI
I just started subbing this year.. First couple times it was awkward, but now its like I can show up any given night of the week and be subbing with someone within 2 minutes of being announced. The thing I figure is just act like it is your own team and do your best.

#48472 - 01/28/08 01:25 AM Re: Subbing [Re: Smooth23]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
I don't sub. Mainly because I don't want to let anyone down if I don't hit my "average". It's not like being on the same team every week. If people know you then they have expectations.

Plus none of our teams accept subs. We never take a sub. Mainly because subs are not directly invested in the team and they are leeches bowling for free. I don't agree with the premis that a sub can bowl for 21 games, free, without being on a team, and have an established average for tournament purposes. So none of our teams condone that. Another main reason is that a known bowler in the area bowled agaist us as a sub, she didn't do very well And when we were just talking after league she confessed that she was "just experimenting with different things". Well, I don't want a sub that's trying things out when they bowl for us for FREE. That's not happening. NO SUBS!!!

Erin

#48487 - 01/28/08 09:34 AM Re: Subbing [Re: Atochabsh]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Most of the time I see subs, its someone that is asked by the team or the member that is missing to come fill in the spot for a night. I have heard of the "professional" sub that will travel to different centers to try to sub, that I don't like. We picked a guy up at the beginning of the season in my Tuesday Men's league that would just show up to sub in this league and he joined the team as we need bowlers. After a month or so he would start showing up late, or not at all and would have problems if we got someone to sub for him if he was late and we didn't know what was up with him. I'm not a fan of the subs that just show up to bowl and get in the brackets. I also don't condone a sub that uses someone else's league for a sanction practice session. That can hurt the team you are bowling on in the standings. The only time I've done anything akin to subbing it was as being a roster bowler. Its normally a semi-permanent thing where I bowl a good chunk of the season because someone can't. I am currently doing that on Monday nights, it started because someone had to start working nights and now a member of the team broke his right collar bone and did something to his rotator cup.
HS:763

#48490 - 01/28/08 09:48 AM Re: Subbing [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Lance Offline
League Bowler

See all the leagues started last semester for me. Due to classes and marching band I couldn't join any of them. Christmas break would have also been a problem. So I figure now I can get some experience in a league. I will not be "experimenting" or anything, just trying to get a feel for leagues and get some bowling in. A USBC average would be nice as well, but it isn't what I'm persay aiming for. And like someone said, I could use it to scout out teammates for next fall when I can hopefully join a league.

#48493 - 01/28/08 10:21 AM Re: Subbing [Re: Lance]
Odyssey912 Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 32/F/Pittsburgh,PA
On my Thursday league each team has their own set of subs that are allowed to bowl and they must be submitted in advance for the roster and each team can have no more than 3. This way each team has a set of subs they can trust and we won't have a sub that is in connection with another team that will throw their games to hurt someone else.

Lance - like other have mentioned, just be honest about your abilities and do the best you can. Get to know the bowlers. Now that you work there you should have no problem striking up conversation with them. Just be yourself :-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - 09/12/19 12:24 AM
USBC Rule 12
by Dennis Michael - 09/10/19 07:26 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Mkirchie - 09/03/19 03:33 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.