BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#46932 - 01/02/08 03:18 PM SPARE SHOOTING
Moedaddy33 Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 78 M -Staten Island ny
I use a Brunswick visa ball for spares the black and white spiral one it is 15lbs so is the rest of my equipment. My question is this sometimes I use a straight ball release coming out at 12;00oclock position or sometimes I use the hook release the ball doesn't hook on either release it goes straight like it is suppose to do but I seems to to be able to get more power using the hook release. does that make any sense to any one.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#46933 - 01/02/08 04:58 PM Re: SPARE SHOOTING [Re: Moedaddy33]
Mkirchie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 38/M/New Jersey
It makes perfect sense to me. When you come out of the ball at 12:00, you're getting less revs than when you are using the hook release. Even though the ball is going straight due to the lack of friction, those extra revolutions provide more rotational kinetic energy to go along with the translational kinetic energy that the ball has due to its velocity. This gives the ball more total energy than if you were to release it with no revs.

Hope that helps.

Mark

#46936 - 01/02/08 07:38 PM Re: SPARE SHOOTING [Re: Mkirchie]
Reader Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: Philadelphia
Is there a target system for throwing a straight ball? Feet at x board, throw over the 20 board? Or do you just practice and find what is right for you?
MoRich Seek & Destroy 15 lbs (01/30/2007- )
Ebonite Maxim 15 lbs
HG:214
Avg:155

Started taking lessons: November, 2006

#46938 - 01/02/08 08:51 PM Re: SPARE SHOOTING [Re: Reader]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
The main reason to use a plastic ball for spares is so that 1. it doesn't react to whatever crazy lane condition might be out there. and.... 2. you do not have to change your hand release. Because changing your hand release from shot to shot makes your overall consistency worse, until you have had sufficient skill and experience to change your release competantly at will.

And yes, you need to develope a system that works for you.

Erin

#46994 - 01/04/08 12:07 AM Re: SPARE SHOOTING [Re: Atochabsh]
Smooth Stroker Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 45/M/Long Island
Excuse me for asking, but why do you need more power with your spare ball? Hopefully, most of your spares are one or two pins. Then it wouldn't matter. If you are talking about as a dry lane ball, then yes, you want the revolutions at the pin deck. I never worry about how much power my spare ball has. All I'm worried about is hitting my target when I use my spare ball. I use my normal release most of the time. I know my spare ball won't hook, as long as the lanes aren't real dry.

Reader, you need to know where you release the ball in relation to your slide foot. I have about a 7 board difference between my slide foot and my release. If I slide on 35/36, I can go over 19/20 with my spare ball to get the 6/10 pin. Everyone has their own methods. It's trial and error. You have to practice and come up with your own plan. I use the center arrow for all of my spares. Some people use the 3-6-9 board system for spares. I don't like that because if you bowl on PBA type of conditions or heavy oil, it isn't as reliable. Just my opinion. It has been said by many bowling gurus, " straighter is greater". Plastic balls take the lane condition out of the equation.

You have to find your foot positions by trial and error. It shouldn't be too hard. One practice session should do it. Keep a pen and paper handy and take notes.

IQ Tour Fusion
IQ Tour anniversary edition
Lights Out
Natural

USBC level 1 certified coach

#47000 - 01/04/08 02:22 AM Re: SPARE SHOOTING [Re: Smooth Stroker]
Reader Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: Philadelphia
Originally Posted By: Smooth Stroker

Reader, you need to know where you release the ball in relation to your slide foot. I have about a 7 board difference between my slide foot and my release. If I slide on 35/36, I can go over 19/20 with my spare ball to get the 6/10 pin. Everyone has their own methods. It's trial and error. You have to practice and come up with your own plan. I use the center arrow for all of my spares. Some people use the 3-6-9 board system for spares. I don't like that because if you bowl on PBA type of conditions or heavy oil, it isn't as reliable. Just my opinion. It has been said by many bowling gurus, " straighter is greater". Plastic balls take the lane condition out of the equation.

You have to find your foot positions by trial and error. It shouldn't be too hard. One practice session should do it. Keep a pen and paper handy and take notes.

Smooth Stroker-

Thank you. I cannot find my copy of Bowling Execution.

I have been using the 3-6-9 spare system with my regular ball. It has made me use a different hand position and release for the ten pin, so it has taught me something about becoming more versatile.

However, with the pros and others recommending a straight plastic ball, I believe it is time to learn to use my Maxim.

I will start to pratice and record my foot position at the line.

Regards,

Read
MoRich Seek & Destroy 15 lbs (01/30/2007- )
Ebonite Maxim 15 lbs
HG:214
Avg:155

Started taking lessons: November, 2006

#47004 - 01/04/08 05:16 AM Re: SPARE SHOOTING [Re: ExBronxiteBowler]
brettbolt Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: California
Deleted.

Edited by B.C. (01/04/08 05:44 AM)

#47021 - 01/04/08 11:11 AM Re: SPARE SHOOTING [Re: brettbolt]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Reader, as Smooth said, know where your release is. If you are consistent in that, you can draw a mental line from the pin to your slide and target the arrow the line goes over with a straight ball.

I used a straight line, but from the center of the lane. I use the same release, and for some strange reason, I have started to pick off the 6 from the 10. I changed my angle to the left and that helped. Having the ball roll through each pin is the key.

The 3-10 baby split is easier this way too.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#47025 - 01/04/08 11:41 AM Re: SPARE SHOOTING [Re: Dennis Michael]
Brandon510 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 28/Male/California/Philippines
I use 3-6-10 spare system on left hand spares. All my right hand spare i throw it straight. Usually stand from 30-35 and aim about 20. There also a good article on The Triax Spare System in BTM you may want to take a look at.
BowlSk: Stats

#48009 - 01/18/08 08:38 PM Re: SPARE SHOOTING [Re: Brandon510]
spr3wr Offline
USBC Bronze Level Coach

A/S/L: 54/m/MICHIGAN
is there a picture of the Triax Spare System online?
High series 810
Current ave. 213

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - 10/18/18 04:06 PM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.