BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#47525 - 01/12/08 06:27 PM My video
Timotheus Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 25/M/Syracuse, NY
Here's my long (or not at all) awaited video. Its not great, and with people on adjacent pairs I couldn't get very good shots, but its enough to see. Let me know what you all think. I am also putting uploading one for download and will link it when it is finished.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeFKpglh6pA

16lb Roto-Grip Neptune (light and dry)

High game: 300
High series: 779

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#47526 - 01/12/08 06:37 PM Re: My video [Re: Timotheus]
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Jacksonville, NC
Looks like you have a similar problem I had; guiding your backswing and forcing the followthrough. Part of the reason for your erratic ball reaction is your erratic twisting at the finish and the reason why your ball skates through the breakpoint or bounces off the wall too quick. Keep your shoulders solid at release and pointing towards your target with the proverbial "pendulum swing". Don't try to "hit up" on the ball so much. A nice, easy followthrough with square shoulders will make all the difference, believe me.

#47527 - 01/12/08 06:45 PM Re: My video [Re: Brian Longo]
Timotheus Offline
Team USA Contender

The first half of the vid was mainly my trying to find the line I needed since I'd just started with no warm up, though I did notice a bit of a forced twist in my release tonight which usually isn't there. My backswing also normally isn't forced, and once the ball starts its drop from the pushaway my arm just follows it. In essence for the entire time I was taping, because I knew it was taping, I changed everything because I was concentrating too much on it all. Stupid mental stuff!

#47538 - 01/12/08 11:33 PM Re: My video [Re: Timotheus]
Timotheus Offline
Team USA Contender

Alright here's the downloadable one.

http://www.mediafire.com/?0ikziimyyze

#47575 - 01/13/08 07:06 PM Re: My video [Re: Timotheus]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
<aside>Isn't mediafire great? Unlimited space is sweet, and makes it easier for people to download the videos and pause, or go step by step.</aside>

It looks like you're supporting the ball in your right hand the whole time. It isn't really possible to have a free armswing when it's tense from holding the ball in your starting position. Get the weight of the ball into your left hand, push away with your left hand, and then pull the left hand away.

As was said above, the backswing and then the follow through both look controlled. The other thing I noticed is that you're turning your hand early. I have the same problem. You want to try to stay behind the ball (ring finger lead, etc) until it passes your ankle, *then* turn your hand around it.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#47579 - 01/13/08 08:10 PM Re: My video [Re: cgeorg]
Timotheus Offline
Team USA Contender

Most of the ball weight is actually in my left hand, though I use both to push the ball away at the start. Once my arm goes and the ball starts its descent my normal swing is very free and my muscles are loose and just letting the ball take the arm through.

My hand turning early is mostly a result of just going too fast, which I was throughout my video, which in turn meant not staying behind the ball enough and my body trying to over generate power to compensate for it.

In general, because I knew I was taping myself, I was focusing too much on what I was doing and not enough on just doing my natural swing and it threw a lot of stuff off. I was going too fast and I kept thinking "I want to look good on this video" instead of just being free and easy. That's a mental thing.

The good thing is that so far, based on the feedback, the only thing it seems I may have a problem with is keeping a free armswing from shot to shot and everything else seems to be pretty good. I do have to work on keeping my tempo down all the time, and every so often I get that wrist turning a smidge too early.

#47620 - 01/14/08 09:34 AM Re: My video [Re: Timotheus]
spr3wr Offline
USBC Bronze Level Coach

A/S/L: 54/m/MICHIGAN
it feels like you have fast feet because you control the beginng of your swing. you dont let the ball drop at the end of your pushaway. watch your video and see how slow the ball starts to go down after your pushaway all the way untill your swing starts to forward, then you add speed to catch up to your feet.and thats why you dont have a good knee bend.
High series 810
Current ave. 213

#47621 - 01/14/08 09:50 AM Re: My video [Re: spr3wr]
Timotheus Offline
Team USA Contender

Fast feet and tempo is consistantly my biggest problem. When I'm right with my feet everything else is right, but going too fast throws off everything else and that's where the controlled swing and shallow knee bend start to come in, and when I have balance problems at the line. My entire video I was going too fast with my feet, combined with the "I want to look good" mentality I had because I knew I was taping myself made me try to control everything I was doing instead of just letting it go naturally.

At least I have stuff to try out tomorrow night in my "practice" league!

#47629 - 01/14/08 11:36 AM Re: My video [Re: Timotheus]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
What you think is a free arm swing really isn't. You aren't forcing it back, and that's what I assume you think a controlled arm swing is, but that's only one half of it. The other half is slowing the swing down, and that's exactly what you do. If you just let go of the ball and watched it fall to the floor, how fast would it fall? Faster than your arm swing. This means that your arm muscles are preventing the ball from swinging free.

As suggested, get all of the ball weight into your off hand. Then make sure your right hand, arm and shoulder are *completely* relaxed. Wet noodle, your arm is asleep relaxed. When you take your left hand away, the ball and your arm should fall to the floor and none of your muscles should prevent it.

It will be hard to do, but once you get it, you'll get it. And once you let the ball swing, you won't have to try and force it at the end because you'll have more speed from a freer arm swing.

#47656 - 01/14/08 09:48 PM Re: My video [Re: Lefty]
Timotheus Offline
Team USA Contender

Well I just went out and tested the criticisms and I could definitely feel where I was controlling it near the top of my backswing. Most of the shots I threw were pretty accurate and except for when I didn't pay attention to tempo I didn't have any balance problems or timing problems. My release was affected some, but not really enough to be a consistant problem, and with a little more practice that'll disappear almost entirely.

Thanks for the help!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - Yesterday at 04:35 PM
End of Days
by explorer05 - Yesterday at 12:19 PM
Help with grip/ Thumb Position
by 82Boat69 - 07/15/18 08:11 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by Richie V. - 07/10/18 12:19 PM
what will become of AMF
by Dennis Michael - 07/09/18 07:13 AM
I'll try again
by Dennis Michael - 07/06/18 12:32 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by 6_ball_man - 07/06/18 08:44 AM
Bowling ball colors
by BOSStull - 07/04/18 10:28 AM
Tiered Tape...
by BOSStull - 06/30/18 11:33 AM
no one on for 5 days
by steveA - 06/22/18 04:31 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.