BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#47884 - 01/17/08 09:22 AM Re: KEEP THE HAMBONE IN THE KITCHEN!!! [Re: cgeorg]
Timotheus Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 25/M/Syracuse, NY
I don't think anyone's questioning his effort to learn the sport, in fact a lot of people on here have commented about how quickly he is learning it. Its just that a lot of people don't like the whole "hambone" thing.
16lb Roto-Grip Neptune (light and dry)

High game: 300
High series: 779

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#47887 - 01/17/08 09:57 AM Re: KEEP THE HAMBONE IN THE KITCHEN!!! [Re: Timotheus]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
There are other posts about how much people don't like him in general and want Dave back.

#47902 - 01/17/08 12:17 PM Re: KEEP THE HAMBONE IN THE KITCHEN!!! [Re: Lefty]
GunsTariq Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 25/M/Gwynn Oak, MD
Don't even mention the ridiculous PBA message board where it's 10^10 times worse!

Like it or not, bad strikes keep continues strings.

#47942 - 01/17/08 07:22 PM Re: KEEP THE HAMBONE IN THE KITCHEN!!! [Re: GunsTariq]
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Jacksonville, NC
Well, I've only seen bits and pieces of telecasts this season, but saw the most last week (hey, it was football season). Call me "stodgy and old-fashioned", but, to me, there are just some "sacred" parts of a sport you should just leave well enough alone, and naming consecutive strikes happens to be one of those things. In a way, it reminds me of watching "Major League 2" when "Rick Vaughn" was naming his pitches (for those who don't know what I'm talking about, rent the movie) and how absurd that is.

Bowling reminds me of hockey so much at times. Networks (and the idiot commissioner, Gary Bettman) tried to make hockey "fan and family friendly" around the previous lockout (1994) to draw a new audience. The result? Not much better than it was before, I'm afraid. And, in the process, the "die hard" hockey fans (like myself) have felt somewhat alienated because of certain blasphemous ideas (such as the stupid glowing puck FOX tried to do and "curbing" fighting). Give me a break.

Same with bowling. People not even halfway in the know are trying to add "pizazz" to a sport that, honestly, doesn't have a whole lot of pizazz. I am glad, though, that the PBA lightened up a bit and allowed the players to let loose of their emotions more instead of trotting out 5 robots week in and week out. And I think that my golf analogy sticks, too. I don't hear non-golfer commentators like Jim Nantz trying to "jazz up" a telecast by creating "cutesie little names" for shots or amount of strokes. To do that would just be plain wrong.

If someone's going to rename something, then let it be a person who's been involved in the sport for a long time and is a well-recognized figure, not some schmuck with a microphone stuck in front of his yap and a producer barking in his ear about how you commentate a bowling match or golf tournament. If you don't know much about the sport, report what you see. Otherwise can the "cute stuff" and learn.

In a sport, such as golf and bowling, that focuses on the individual and their skills, either you like it or don't. I have yet to hear of anyone hijacking the cable/dish companies and forcing them to only broadcast bowling on every channel, nor have I heard of anyone kidnapping a family at gunpoint to make them bowl 3 games at their local center. It's not a sport for everyone because it's not an easy one to master.

But please, please, please, please, please don't mess with the history or sanctity of the game. I think it's unfair to those who understand the sport for others to feel the need to "dumb it down" or "jazz it up" for the sake of others who don't really respect or understand the sport. If you don't know about it, study it or ask questions or ignore it. I don't think that's a whole lot to ask, really.

#47944 - 01/17/08 07:28 PM Re: KEEP THE HAMBONE IN THE KITCHEN!!! [Re: Brian Longo]
Timotheus Offline
Team USA Contender

Thankfully I get to watch my Sabres on a non-major network station (MSG) and I get the Sabres commentator, Rick Jeanerrette. That's true hockey.

#47946 - 01/17/08 07:42 PM Re: KEEP THE HAMBONE IN THE KITCHEN!!! [Re: Timotheus]
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Jacksonville, NC
Yep. And I get the NHL channel that usually broadcasts games through TSN with commentators who actually know a check into the glass from boarding. Too bad I couldn't get CBC. I'd be in heaven, then.

#47967 - 01/18/08 09:40 AM Re: KEEP THE HAMBONE IN THE KITCHEN!!! [Re: Brian Longo]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: m/ Michigan
We have got ex Detroit, Montreal player Mickey Redmond doing our telecasts on FOX here in Detroit for Red Wings games. If you have never heard him do color commentary, he is really a joy to listen to. His old school descriptions and his colorfull, somewhat quirky comments are great. He loves a good hockey fight, and berates a goalie who constantly covers up the puck to stop the play.
Nothing to do about bowling....but I also heard that Detroit was going to be put back into the Eastern Conference where they belong..maybe next year. Back to playing more original six teams on a regular basis instead of once a year. smile That would be cool.

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#47973 - 01/18/08 10:06 AM Re: KEEP THE HAMBONE IN THE KITCHEN!!! [Re: Tim Gerard]
Timotheus Offline
Team USA Contender

My Dad's family are all Red Wings fans (they're all from Bay City/Saginaw/Midland/Auburn areas), while me, my brother and my sister are all Sabres fans (we all went/go to school in Buffalo and were all there the last two years during the Sabres big playoff runs). We all got addicted because of the excitement and energy Buffalo has for the Sabres. If the Red Wings get put in the Eastern Conference again next season, things could get interesting lol.

Detroit and Buffalo: Hockeytowns, USA.

Edited by Timotheus (01/18/08 10:09 AM)

#47976 - 01/18/08 10:50 AM Re: KEEP THE HAMBONE IN THE KITCHEN!!! [Re: Timotheus]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: m/ Michigan
That would be great if they do go to the East. I mean whats Detroit doing in the West anyways? Its a real, drag when the Wings are in the playoffs, and they are out west playing San Jose, or Aneheim and the games start @ 10:30PM and you have to get up @5:00AM. Makes for some red eyed work days.

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#47995 - 01/18/08 04:23 PM Re: KEEP THE HAMBONE IN THE KITCHEN!!! [Re: Tim Gerard]
Timotheus Offline
Team USA Contender

Woot almost time to go home, my dad's buying dinner, and I get to watch the Sabres tonight! Now whether or not they finally win again is a different story....

Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
This is a damned shame
by djp1080 - 10/17/20 08:32 PM
Undercover Boss Bowlero
by BOSStull - 10/12/20 07:16 PM
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 10:12 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:39 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:32 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.