BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#46874 - 01/02/08 02:12 AM League cancelled tonight
Smooth23 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 23/M/Jackson, MI
Very last minute. Our league had planned to bowl tonight, but as I was on my way there I got a call, saying that it was cancelled but my team was gonna bowl out for it anyhow. About half the teams on the league showed up and bowled anyhow. No other leagues were in there tonight.. Just thought I'd share.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#46875 - 01/02/08 04:03 AM Re: League cancelled tonight [Re: Smooth23]
brettbolt Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: California
I know the feeling, Smooth23. My Fall Tuesday league ended Dec 17th and the next season starts in 6 days. (Both Christmas and New Years fell on Tuesdays). Thats three weeks without league.

Really looking forward to returning on January 8th. And hopefully the league will distribute the Fall prize money that they were supposed to give out on Dec 17th

I bowled with my wife tonight.

Talk about a bad start, my score after the 1st two frames was 11. (Shows what happens when you take a long time off). My wife striked and spared and thought she had me. Then I remembered how to bowl and finished with a 177. She wasn't amused by my catch-up victory.

#46935 - 01/02/08 05:51 PM Re: League cancelled tonight [Re: brettbolt]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Did this cancellation have anything to do with the snow storm that just went through Michigan? It happens, I had a league cancel, actually I think the center did the canceling last winter when a minor winter event came through the Mid-Atlantic region. The center was closing early, some people showed up anyways including three of the four bowlers on my team. It happens sometimes, I've only had that happen once, last winter with a minor winter weather event came through. I was able to go to work the next day so it couldn't have been that bad.

Brett, good luck with getting the prize money, I hope it was just a hiccup in the procedure for getting the check out.
HS:763

#46937 - 01/02/08 08:13 PM Re: League cancelled tonight [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Smooth23 Offline
Bracket Donor

Nobody really knows if it was weather related or what. Yes it was snowing and slick out last night, but not as bad as the new years eve. It's Michigan, [censored] roads are expected in winter.

#46955 - 01/03/08 01:23 PM Re: League cancelled tonight [Re: Smooth23]
Angel Offline

A/S/L: F/So Cal
I know it's hard when you want to be somewhere and you make it, but honestly you can't hold the world up to your standards when it comes to drivability.

I lived with my dad one year during high school in Maryland, and I remember them calling school at half a day, sending everyone home because they predicted a huge system to come through. Everyone was bussed home, and we sat there and laughed because literally NOTHING happened. However, had the weather been worse and we got snowed in, I'm sure the lawyers and the news crews would have been all over it.

As much as I love/live bowling, the reality is I'd rather miss/make up a week than worry about the people who have long commutes and live in the outskirts. I'd rather have everyone alive and in one piece than demand people show up. I still subscribe to the notion that only people who *need* to be out in bad weather should go. I don't want to see anyone add to the emergency calls.

#46987 - 01/03/08 07:55 PM Re: League cancelled tonight [Re: Angel]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

The school system here in Maryland is screwy when it comes to weather thats for sure, especially Baltimore City. Only a small percentage of students in the city ride on yellow buses, only special needs students. Elementary students either walk or are driven by parents, middle and high school students take public transportation or are driven or if they have a car a license drive themselves. There were several times when I was in high school that the snow was at least 8 inches high by noon and they didn't close schools earlier. I can only remember once there being a two hour delay, any other time schools were closed. Now about 9 years later it seems they close schools down for a couple of inches when it stopped snowing at 4 A.M. There are fog delays as well, all of this after a few accidents involving school buses around the state instead of doing so before hand. Of course most of the people in this state don't know how to drive in rain much less snow or freezing rain. I was born and went my first 4 years of school in Detroit and going in a foot or better of snow wasn't unheard of so it was a shock when I moved down here and with 3 inches of snow schools were closed.

I definitely agree that there is no sense risking the health and lives of people just to bowl league night, whether or not the area is used to bad weather.

#46990 - 01/03/08 08:40 PM Re: League cancelled tonight [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Angel Offline

A/S/L: F/So Cal
I'm glad to hear people in other parts of the country complain about their drivers. I thought only people in California would wake up to rain, leave at the regular time, and try to speed in bad traffic to get somewhere.

My dad's in Severna Park, and both there and Riviera Beach in Pasadena I was amazed how the kids would be bussed when you could literally SEE the school from the housing developments. Where we were from in SoCal, the kids were expected to walk to high school upwards of 3 miles. Of course, that never happened, but there were no busses.

#46992 - 01/03/08 09:17 PM Re: League cancelled tonight [Re: Angel]
Smooth23 Offline
Bracket Donor

I wasn't complaining and saying people should have risked themselves to bowl. I just think that if they were going to bother canceling league that night, they should have done it more than 15 minutes beforehand when everyone was already on their way. Seemed more like it was a case of the president didn't want to drive on the roads so he thought he'd call last minute and cancel league.

#47003 - 01/04/08 05:00 AM Re: League cancelled tonight [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
brettbolt Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: California
Originally Posted By: infernocal

I definitely agree that there is no sense risking the health and lives of people just to bowl league night, whether or not the area is used to bad weather.

Its not just people driving to/from bowling league that risk their lives in bad weather. Its everyone.

I live in the California central valley, where it rarely snows. Tonight, when it finally rained after a long dry stretch, people drove like ABSOLUTE IDIOTS on the slippery roads -- way too fast. On my 45 minute drive today from Rocklin to Folsom I saw 2 accidents. One was IN A PARKING LOT!!! And at stop lights people started out fast enough for their wheels to spin and lose traction.

I sure hope people in other parts of the country drive better than Californians.

#47050 - 01/04/08 04:29 PM Re: League cancelled tonight [Re: brettbolt]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

Well I have the extremes. The people that slow down to 45 MPH when it rains and the others that want to do 90 MPH on the same road with the same conditions. I may not be the most careful driver but I know that there are conditions that one needs to be careful and I now which conditions they are. I often have to drive around the DC Beltway for work which is bad enough as it is, then add in some rain and its a stand still between the slow drivers, then the accidents of people that don't know that how a vehicle handles changes in wet weather. Then there are those with 4WD and All Wheel Drive when it snows that think since they have either of those they can drive above the speed limit. I have a three-quarter ton 4WD pick up and I know better. When it snows that is mostly the vehicles in accidents turned around or flipped over. I know of many native Marylanders that complain that people in Maryland don't know how to drive. Unfortunately there are bad drivers in every state, some of them young some of them old.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - 09/12/19 12:24 AM
USBC Rule 12
by Dennis Michael - 09/10/19 07:26 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Mkirchie - 09/03/19 03:33 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.