BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#49177 - 02/07/08 06:29 PM Re: Rob Stone makes an impact [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
tweety/ Mr. Tweety Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: Ca, Oakhurst
I may get yelled at for my comment but I do know we can say our opinion on this site.. I like Rob and he was very personable in person. I like what he has brought to the announcing and even though he may ask "stupid" questions at least he is asking? and not just going aloong with it and really messing up. I'm also going to say my husband thought of a new name for the six strikes in a row call it the six-pack.. I honestly forget what it's called I dont see it much. I think for sure Rob Stone is good for the sport commentary.

Husband of Tweety
Infinite One 15#
Zone 15# Columbia epx1 15# Broncos viz a ball

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#49182 - 02/07/08 07:28 PM Re: Rob Stone makes an impact [Re: tweety/ Mr. Tweety]
Scott Gannon Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 51/M/California
The way I remember everything after a turkey was 4-bagger, 5-bagger, 6-bagger, so on.

I will admit Rob is kind of irritating but I think they are at least trying to make an effort to have an exciteable announcer to create interest. A lot of it smacks of gimmickry but I find it hard to find fault for trying to create more interest in the sport.
Fall 2013-14-League Average-178, HG-228, HS-631

#49185 - 02/07/08 08:03 PM Re: Rob Stone makes an impact [Re: Scott Gannon]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
I don't have much issue with Stone other than the hambone thing. I've heard of a six bagger as a six pack many times before, the only other one that has a special name is the 12 in a row, and thats perfection to me.
HS:763

#49203 - 02/08/08 03:25 AM Re: Rob Stone makes an impact [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
kagekikr Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 34/M/Michigan
As Timotheus stated, in general, a sleeper is something that isn't expected, or surprises you. Websters defines a sleeper as: someone or something unpromising or unnoticed that suddenly attains prominence or value. In that regard, a bowler might not notice that there is a pin directly behind another one, yet attains prominence when the front pin is removed and the bowler realizes has...

Randy Pederson's Voice: "He left it OPEN!"

Am I the only one that thinks that seeing that Denny's commercial just once per commercial break would be sufficient?

ATTENTION ESPN

Let it be known...

Kagekikr is a graduate of the Specs Howard School of Broadcast Arts and could be made available to bring his broadcast quality voice, quick wit, rugged good looks and 30 years of bowling experience to the chair next to Randy Pederson. Not to mention, as a guy that loves food also, I won't take any cheap shots at Randy's weight.

Pm me for my resume'
Elite Blue Alien
Brunswick Scorchin' Inferno
Brunswick Inferno
Brunswick Plastic "Spare" Ball

#49213 - 02/08/08 09:51 AM Re: Rob Stone makes an impact [Re: kagekikr]
Timotheus Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 25/M/Syracuse, NY
I've been calling 6 in a row a "six pack" since I was like 9 or 10 and I heard it from the older people in the league I was in, so that's been around the game for a long long time. Even the "exciter graphics" on the machines at some of the houses around here have 6-pack references for a 6 stringer (even though I do everything I can to turn those graphics off).

As for Rob Stone, as annoying as the hambone thing may be, he does get excited about the game and seems to get more and more excited every week as his knowledge of the game grows. He also doesn't try to sound like he knows everything about the game, and if he doesn't know something he comes out and says that he doesn't know and then asks for an explanation. That's the kind of thing that makes a broadcaster good, unlike say, John Madden.
16lb Roto-Grip Neptune (light and dry)

High game: 300
High series: 779

#49251 - 02/09/08 09:37 AM Re: Rob Stone makes an impact [Re: Timotheus]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
Forget the fact that I like Stone.. you have to remember that it could always be worse. We could have someone like Bryant Gumbel. He seems to be clueless about any sport he covers and never seems to learn a thing.

Edited by Lefty (02/09/08 09:40 AM)

#49252 - 02/09/08 09:57 AM Re: Rob Stone makes an impact [Re: Lefty]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
I admit the Stone doesn't know much about the sport and that ESPN is thrusting him on the bowling public. But, he has an enthusiam for the sport and is learning. Last week, he asked the origin of a "sleeper". He has a desire to learn. Most people agree that the hambone is a bit overblown. But, as a commentator, he is good. For a sport that he is just learning, he is doing really well. I think that Randy and him work well together.

It comes down to, no matter who is in the booth, people would still complain. I agree with Lefty that Stone is much better than if we had someone like Gumbel.

#49254 - 02/09/08 11:30 AM Re: Rob Stone makes an impact [Re: General Pounder]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
But, he is no Chris Schenkel or Whispering Joe Wilson.

Schenkel didn't know much about the sport, but announced as a professional.
Wilson new the sport, the bowlers and the tactics.

Stone acts like people I have seen too many times. Think they know something, when they really don't. So they make up games and make a mockery of what he is doing. They think they are being cute.

Sorry, to me, he is just plain dumb. Maybe in three years, he will learn the terminology. It takes others their first year to know what they are talking about.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#49257 - 02/09/08 01:12 PM Re: Rob Stone makes an impact [Re: Dennis Michael]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
Gone are the days where you can have an announcer like Shenkel. He'd put the audience to sleep. I think Stone is a very professional announcer. He's just excitable. I also think you're over blowing the "mockery" bit. It's only a mockery if you make the PBA finals some life or death event. Stone has even acknowledged that the hambone has rubbed some people the wrong way. He's having fun with it. He even said "What have I done?!"

I think that no only is he doing a decent job, He's blown Dave Ryan out of the water. He's also 100 times more appropriate to be a bowling announcer today than Shenkel.

#49279 - 02/10/08 12:01 AM Re: Rob Stone makes an impact [Re: Lefty]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
I'd like to see comparative TV ratings for the Ryan era and Stone. Don't think he has made an impact on the viewership, except tick a few people off. Course, some will watch just for that.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
This is a damned shame
by djp1080 - 10/17/20 08:32 PM
Undercover Boss Bowlero
by BOSStull - 10/12/20 07:16 PM
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 10:12 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:39 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:32 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.