BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#46520 - 12/20/07 02:57 PM Re: Rob Stone makes an impact [Re: Lefty]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Originally Posted By: Lefty
I really think people are taking this way to seriously. He admits he doesn't know a lot about bowling (and you're not going to find a real TV announcer who does) and he's having fun with it and making fun of his lack of knowledge. His ability as an announcer is much better than Dave Ryan, and he's got a lot of energy. He's also making a real attempt to learn the game and his new found knowledge shows every week. Randy is a good color commentator, but he'd never make it as real announcer, and you need that type of person to manage the telecast.

Then we can get exactly what we want. Rob can play dumb, which isn't too hard, and ask stupid questions about bowling. Then Randy can explain the finer parts of the Sport.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#46526 - 12/20/07 05:06 PM Re: Rob Stone makes an impact [Re: Lefty]
Scott Gannon Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 51/M/California
I do not think we will ever see the style of Bo Burton again because of the way sports are nowadays. People want bigger, faster, more action.

I pay more attention to the bowling so I do not get annoyed too much by announcers but I would think with all the technology they could maybe do a ball tracking or something on the replay.
Fall 2013-14-League Average-178, HG-228, HS-631

#46832 - 12/31/07 05:46 PM Re: Rob Stone makes an impact [Re: Scott Gannon]
bluesman_vt_2002 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 40/M/VT
I agree with Scott, the Bo/Chris, Saturday afternoon @ 3:30, just before ABC Wide World of Sports day is over. Which is too bad, because I really enjoyed those times. I also agree that for those of us that are interested, hearing the drillings and choice of the players equipment would be great.

I prefer Dave Ryan, but only because Rob is a little over the top for me, not because he's not as informed as some would hope.

There's an interesting editorial in a bowling publication this month about Rob, saying that you can say what you want about him, but it's basically ESPN that is the problem. They don't take it seriously. Just look when it's on. 1:00 on a Sunday afternoon, during the Fall and Winter? He makes a comment about Chris Berman's lead out comments of the NFL PreGame Show being hysterical.Bowling is fill in to ESPN. Something that will take up the spot and get some viewers. It's too bad.

I think that the addition of the Women's Series was tremendous, and great for the PBA. I'd love to see a Mixed Doubles thing. For that matter, if Rob keeps talking about Carolyn Dorin Ballard's age, we could get free boxing too... My money is on Carolyn...
Storm Hy-Road | Ebonite Mission | Ebonite Complete NV | Plastic

#46853 - 01/01/08 01:19 PM Re: Rob Stone makes an impact [Re: bluesman_vt_2002]
Smooth Stroker Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 45/M/Long Island
I personally don't like Stone. I don't like the hambone thing because he didn't have any real reason to call it that. If he had some sort of connection from 4 strikes to the hambone, then I would've loved it. Just calling it a hambone because there isn't a more creative name for a 4 bagger, isn't enough for me. I like logic and reason. Most nicknames have a history and a reason. The whole history of golf is well documented. They never let you forget it.

I believe that they have a real uphill battle getting more viewers. I believe that Pederson is very good. I believe that they need the bowlers to be a little looser, but natural. They need rivalries. Walter Ray and PDW is great. They need more like that. Where the bowlers Practically hate each other. Build up a following like that. They need bowlers that look good ( no offense ). Gold didn't take off until Tiger came along. He looks great, he's in great shape, and he dominates the golf course like nobody before him ( sorry Jack ). Maybe a rivalry between states or coasts or something. Rivalries build sports. Great battles between rivals brings fans. I don't think everyone should be so buddy buddy. Draw lines in the sand. You don't see Tiger and Phil going out to dinner together do you? You don't see Yankee fans and Red Sox fans having a lovefest do you?

Just my opinion. They need more of Walter against PDW on TV and stuff like that. People watch Tiger because they don't want to miss him doing something great. They want to see him dominate. People like Dynasties. I want Yankees/Red Sox. I want Dallas Cowboys/Washington Redskins. I want Tiger/Phil. I want Ali/Frazier. I want Ewing's Knicks/Jordan's Bulls. Bird's Celtics/Magic's Lakers.

IQ Tour Fusion
IQ Tour anniversary edition
Lights Out
Natural

USBC level 1 certified coach

#46897 - 01/02/08 11:10 AM Re: Rob Stone makes an impact [Re: Smooth Stroker]
SoCal Jeff Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: Orange County, CA
I saw Rob Stone doing pre game college football yesterday, spoke very well and no hambone references at all, guess he takes football more seriously than bowling

#46899 - 01/02/08 12:04 PM Re: Rob Stone makes an impact [Re: SoCal Jeff]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

I'm with you Smooth. IMO, Stone is making a joke of bowling as a sport. Ok, bowling has a stroker and cranker, and football has a wishbone, and a single wing. But, those refer to the style of play.

You don't need anther name for every strike in a row (hambone). And you don't need a name for every ten yard run or multiples of it. It is either a ten, twenty yard pickup, or it is 4 or 5 in a row.

#46906 - 01/02/08 12:36 PM Re: Rob Stone makes an impact [Re: Dennis Michael]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: m/ Michigan
I bowl tonight and I'm hoping to get a lamb shank or a pork chop, or at the very least a hambone. smile

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#46926 - 01/02/08 02:41 PM Re: Rob Stone makes an impact [Re: Tim Gerard]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

It's either the Porterhouse or the Crown Roast for me.

#49115 - 02/07/08 02:07 AM Re: Rob Stone makes an impact [Re: Dennis Michael]
kagekikr Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 34/M/Michigan
Rob Stone makes me want to hear Randy Pederson talk more...did I just say that? I don't much care for Rob as a bowling announcer and it upsets me that as a proffessional announcer, it seems as if he jumped into this thing with absolutely no prep work or general knowledge of the game. No one would do that with football, basketball, or anything else. Hey, it's just bowling, Rob can learn on the fly... He may be comming around slowly but surely, as now when a guy leaves a 4 pin, (the majority of the audience knows this immediately) wait, Rob is looking down at his cheat sheet, (5 seconds elapse) Ouch, a four pin...Yeah Rob, he almost "cleaned that mess up nicely" before you were even able to spit out what pin it was. I have it on good authority though from a couple of exempt pros that the majority of the guys on tour did not like Dave Ryan, and though it was early in the season when I spoke to them, and this whole Hambone fiasco hadn't ignited... they said they liked him. C'mon though, tell me you HAVEN'T yelled HAMBONE lately?
Elite Blue Alien
Brunswick Scorchin' Inferno
Brunswick Inferno
Brunswick Plastic "Spare" Ball

#49117 - 02/07/08 02:13 AM Re: Rob Stone makes an impact [Re: kagekikr]
Smooth23 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 23/M/Jackson, MI
I haven't yelled hambone lately.

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
This is a damned shame
by djp1080 - 10/17/20 08:32 PM
Undercover Boss Bowlero
by BOSStull - 10/12/20 07:16 PM
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 10:12 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:39 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:32 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.