BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#46461 - 12/19/07 10:08 AM Re: Rob Stone makes an impact [Re: Lefty]
SoCal Jeff Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: Orange County, CA
Lefty,
What bodies do you think they are trying to put in front of the TV? Non-Bowlers? I do not see a Non-Bowler sitting down to watch bowling. Heck they can't even get most bowling centers to turn it on. It's just my opinion, but if that's what they're after, I don't see it happening.

Oh well, I am not sure what they are looking for in a viewer, but it definately isn't me. I watch because of the bowlers, it just hurts to listen.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#46463 - 12/19/07 10:39 AM Re: Rob Stone makes an impact [Re: SoCal Jeff]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Jeff, Rob does get my wife to watch. It makes it easier on me. But, I don't know a non-bowler who would turn it on.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#46464 - 12/19/07 10:46 AM Re: Rob Stone makes an impact [Re: SoCal Jeff]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
Originally Posted By: SoCal Jeff
Lefty,
What bodies do you think they are trying to put in front of the TV? Non-Bowlers? I do not see a Non-Bowler sitting down to watch bowling. Heck they can't even get most bowling centers to turn it on. It's just my opinion, but if that's what they're after, I don't see it happening.

Oh well, I am not sure what they are looking for in a viewer, but it definately isn't me. I watch because of the bowlers, it just hurts to listen.

Who watches other sports? It's not just football players watching football and baseball players watching baseball and golfers watching golf. If it were, they'd be in fnancial trouble too.

#46466 - 12/19/07 11:26 AM Re: Rob Stone makes an impact [Re: Lefty]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: m/ Michigan
If you are trying to introduce bowling to a "NEW" audience, the silly remarks, and trying to"name or rename" certain aspects of the game are not going to be the draw to the sport. The actual bowling is the draw, IMO. People tune in for the sport, not the side show.
I have yet to hear someone try and rename a screen pass, or a hat trick etc., a ham bone or a pork chop or whatever, it is kinda silly.
I can see why it annoys some folks.

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#46467 - 12/19/07 11:30 AM Re: Rob Stone makes an impact [Re: Tim Gerard]
Lefty Offline
Legend

You're right. There's no room for fun on the telecast.

#46468 - 12/19/07 12:14 PM Re: Rob Stone makes an impact [Re: Lefty]
SoCal Jeff Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: Orange County, CA
Originally Posted By: Lefty
You're right. There's no room for fun on the telecast.

OK,
We have a good healthy discussion going on here - there is definately room for fun in the telecast - but when the announcer tried to rename a 4-bagger to a hamebone, come on that's just stupid - it makes no sense. And he cannot remember Parker's name. To me it's not a matter of having fun, it's a matter of credibility. I like Randy on the show and I think he can be funny, but it adds to the show it's not at the expense of the show.

Anyway - different strokes for different folks. I appreicate your opposing view, I just want more for the PBA.

#46472 - 12/19/07 03:36 PM Re: Rob Stone makes an impact [Re: SoCal Jeff]
Lefty Offline
Legend

I really think people are taking this way to seriously. He admits he doesn't know a lot about bowling (and you're not going to find a real TV announcer who does) and he's having fun with it and making fun of his lack of knowledge. His ability as an announcer is much better than Dave Ryan, and he's got a lot of energy. He's also making a real attempt to learn the game and his new found knowledge shows every week. Randy is a good color commentator, but he'd never make it as real announcer, and you need that type of person to manage the telecast.

#46477 - 12/19/07 05:35 PM Re: Rob Stone makes an impact [Re: Lefty]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Well it could be worse, they could have hired Dennis Miller.
HS:763

#46515 - 12/20/07 01:28 PM Re: Rob Stone makes an impact [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Scott Gannon Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 51/M/California
Or they could have hired the Monday Night Football announcers!!!!
Fall 2013-14-League Average-178, HG-228, HS-631

#46519 - 12/20/07 02:21 PM Re: Rob Stone makes an impact [Re: Scott Gannon]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: m/ Michigan
Really,
I think you are right Lefty. As I said before, I am not all that bothered by Stone. All I'm saying is that some of the silly stuff he says..I can see how it can annoy some people. I guess you can find that in all forms of sports, and thier announcers.
Have you ever listened closely to John Madden? He can say some silly things too.

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
This is a damned shame
by djp1080 - 10/17/20 08:32 PM
Undercover Boss Bowlero
by BOSStull - 10/12/20 07:16 PM
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 10:12 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:39 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:32 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.