BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#46344 - 12/16/07 01:33 AM Man loses a ton of weight to bowl better.
Smooth23 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 23/M/Jackson, MI
Was looking through the news stories today and came across this.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/orl-lbowler1507dec15,0,1874101.story?page=1

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#46377 - 12/17/07 07:16 AM Re: Man loses a ton of weight to bowl better. [Re: Smooth23]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: m/ Michigan
Maybe thats what I need. Although I don't need to shed 250+ lbs., I could stand to drop about 30.
Gotta hand it to him, to take off all that weight is quite a commitment. Good for him.

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#46391 - 12/17/07 01:41 PM Re: Man loses a ton of weight to bowl better. [Re: Tim Gerard]
Timotheus Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 25/M/Syracuse, NY
He had the right motivation. Good for him!
16lb Roto-Grip Neptune (light and dry)

High game: 300
High series: 779

#46393 - 12/17/07 01:44 PM Re: Man loses a ton of weight to bowl better. [Re: Timotheus]
AmpleSound Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 34/M/CO
Originally Posted By: Timotheus
He had the right motivation. Good for him!

I couldn't say it any better! LOL Bowling wins again! laugh
Columbia Plastic - (Spares/Dry)

My best:
HGS - 300
HSS - 769

#46394 - 12/17/07 01:59 PM Re: Man loses a ton of weight to bowl better. [Re: AmpleSound]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
It's great that he did it for his bowling game but being 6'4" 500 pounds, that sounds like a medical problem to me as well. The guy who used to drill my equipment was about 500 pounds. He lost about 200 of it and his game improved as well. He did his for his life though, not his game. Since then, he has gotten a better job and got married.

Losing weight is one of our biggest problems. Keeping it off is another. In the last 2 months or so, I have lost about 15 pounds. That was just by eating breakfast, having healthy snacks throughout the day, and not having a beer when I get home from work. Basically eating more often is helping me loose the weight. I have also been drinking a lot more water now. It all helps.

#46396 - 12/17/07 02:26 PM Re: Man loses a ton of weight to bowl better. [Re: General Pounder]
Timotheus Offline
Team USA Contender

Actually eating more times throughout the day but with smaller portions helps keep your metabolism running and it'll burn off excess carbs and fats faster, not to mention it will keep you from overstuffing yourself. I'm lucky in that no matter what I eat I don't gain weight, but I've cut out all the fast foods and frozen foods that I used to eat. Not for any weight problem, but because they just made me feel terrible.

Personally (and this is just my opinion as I'm definitely not a doctor or dietician) I think the best way to lose weight is to not eat more than your metabolism can handle and excersize properly. All these radical diets like Atkins and such aren't good for the body. The body needs calories (for heat), carbs (for energy) and proteins (for muscle building and repair) and cutting any of those out really upsets the balance. Figure out what your metabolism can handle then eat to fit that, don't eat to make drastic changes.

#46399 - 12/17/07 02:36 PM Re: Man loses a ton of weight to bowl better. [Re: Timotheus]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
Timotheus:

When I was 24, I could eat anything too. Now, I am 32. As you get older, your metabolism slows down. In HS, I wrestled. I could go into school at 6am being 2 pounds over my weight. I would eat 3 PB&J sandwhiches, a honeybun, Apple, and various other snacks throughout the day. By 3pm got around, I was 1 pound under.

Exercising the way I did when I was 16, 20, or 24 is a thing of the past. Work and family take up most of my time. I can't get to the gym and work out for an hour 5 days a week or play basketball for hours on end like I used to. Now, I have to play it smarter. As we get older, that is what we need to do.

#46403 - 12/17/07 02:57 PM Re: Man loses a ton of weight to bowl better. [Re: General Pounder]
Timotheus Offline
Team USA Contender

Yeah I understand that. Work is causing me to not be able to work out like I would like (that and I'm still paying off gym fees from when I was living in a different city), but I have been able to bowl twice a week and play volleyball once a week so at least I'm keeping active. I do need to work out though, and in fact am going to be starting again just by doing excersizes at home like pushups and various types of situps, among other things, until I can get back to the gym again.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
No Post Available
by djp1080 - 01/12/21 05:35 PM
We encountered a problem. error
by BOSStull - 01/10/21 02:56 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2021 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.