BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#46332 - 12/15/07 09:08 PM Should I ??
pipes Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: Michigan USA
Since I am JUST now as most of you have read I think starting over after 30 years !! Would it be good for me to try and sub or even find a league now that a take newbie bowlers like myself . I know there has to be some leagues that are for bowlers like myself? I am scoring between 125 and 145 now after about 20 games bowled this week .
I was thinking more on the line of lots a practice and some lessons and then join a spring league . so what do you guys think ???

The upside IMHO for me to join a league now or sub it would get me to consentrate more and better focus .

pipes

Edited by pipes (12/15/07 09:09 PM)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#46335 - 12/15/07 09:36 PM Re: Should I ?? [Re: pipes]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Quote:
I am scoring between 125 and 145 now after about 20 games bowled this week .

Most leagues have vacancies. And you could fill a vacancy. It doesn't matter what your average is. Most leagues are handicapped and have a mix of bowlers with different skill levels. The handicap levels the playing field. We have bowlers in our league under 90 and over 210. So if you want to bowl now on a regular basis, join a league, fill a vacancy. In May summer leagues will be starting and you could wait until them if you like.

Erin

#46336 - 12/15/07 09:38 PM Re: Should I ?? [Re: pipes]
Brandon510 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 28/Male/California/Philippines
You can sub to get your feet wet. Get into league environment again and also get some practice. There probally a team there that does need a memember and willing to take a newbie on.

A friend who i bowl summer league with had vacancy on his team on winter league. A bowler somewhat like yourself who hasnt bowled in a while joined. He use to carry a 189 he said but that was long time ago. He joined there team he carrying a 130 average now.
BowlSk: Stats

#46337 - 12/15/07 10:03 PM Re: Should I ?? [Re: Brandon510]
unmovedbydeath Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 25/Male/Statesboro, Georgia, U...
Ok, not that I am bowling sage (I have only been in the game for 4-5 months) but here is my two cents.
I jumped into league play when it started up a few months ago (mainly because a friend of my brother was playing on a team that was one man short). Honestly, I was kinda leery about tossing myself out there, especially because they played Wednesday night which is for money rather than on one of the trophy nights.
I had all these fears that I would tank and end up letting the team down but thus far none of that has happen. I actually established a higher average than a lot of the regular people who play on the league and I am only getting better.
So my suggestion would be yes practice and practice some more- but also set the butterflies free, join a friendly league, and just try to have fun with it.

#46342 - 12/16/07 12:44 AM Re: Should I ?? [Re: unmovedbydeath]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
Jump right in and get on a league. Like Erin said, there are people in leagues from all average categories. I wouldn't worry about your skill level at this point. The one thing that a lot of people have a hard time adjusting to is being at bowling every week. You may want to look into finding a league that is every other week (most of these leagues I have seen on weekends). Just a thought.

#46346 - 12/16/07 02:41 AM Re: Should I ?? [Re: General Pounder]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
One myth to debunk right now......adults no longer play for trophies. Its all money. Now the money maybe small, but there's no trophies. At the beginning of the league, the amount you pay is spelled out; how its distributed. Basically there's lineage that you pay to the house, secretary/treasurer fees and then prize fund. Now of your weekly dues maybe $1 goes into prize fund, sometimes its $3. All depends on tbe league and how the money is distributed. But there are no trophies anymore. So do not be intimidated by an adult league that pays out money.....they all do.

Erin

#46374 - 12/17/07 12:19 AM Re: Should I ?? [Re: Atochabsh]
Richard Koppinger Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 43/M/NJ
Hey, welcome Pipes.

I started bowling seriously in the summer of 2006. I ended the season with a 130 average and a desire to get better. When the secretary of the summer league came around to all the teams saying that there were vacancies in his fall league, I signed up.

I wound up on a team with a couple of guys who were carrying 200 averages and they were both good teachers. Based on their suggestons, I made some adjustments to my game, and I'm now in the 180 - 190 range.

So go for it! Find a friendly handicap league and have fun. The folks at your local bowling center may be able to give you some info on the leagues if you don't know anyone on the leagues. If you prefer to wait, summer leagues are a good option, but some houses have short-season leagues that start in January, so keep your eyes open for that if it comes up. And if you're concerned about your average, inquire about lessons. At my center, the guy at the Pro Shop also gives lessons a couple of times a week. Your center may offer something similar.

Have fun, and good luck!

#46434 - 12/18/07 02:18 PM Re: Should I ?? [Re: Richard Koppinger]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: m/ Michigan
They also have these non-sanctioned leagues now at most bowling centers, for instance there is a Pistons league where you bowl towards getting Piston tickets for upcoming games. Or certain leagues that you can earn a new ball, although its usually a spare ball, but hey you will need a spareball anyways. Most of these leagues always have vacancies that need to be filled.

It might be a way to get your feet wet,practice and learn, and actually earn something in the end.

Just ask at any center, almost all have something going on.
Good Luck

Edited by Eraser (12/18/07 02:20 PM)

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#46540 - 12/21/07 04:26 AM Re: Should I ?? [Re: Tim Gerard]
ExBronxiteBowler Offline
PBA Senior Bowler

A/S/L: M 66 Staten Island, NY
One bit of advice I have for league bowlers as far as inproving thier scores goes is to laern to make your spares. Just by doing that, you can raise your average from 10-50 pins.... maybe more.

Let me give you an example, say you're averaing in the low 190's but you cant make a ten pin to save your life. If you learn to make the ten pin, you just pushed yourself over the 200 barrier... And if you're a 130 ave bowler, well, then learning to make spares can get you into the 170-190 range. Learning to throw strikes doesn't make you a good bowler, learning to make spares does, and developing a system where you can make your spares no matter what the lane condition will make you a solid bowler.

#47097 - 01/06/08 11:10 PM Re: Should I ?? [Re: ExBronxiteBowler]
saabbowler Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 30/Male/St. Louis, MO
Joining a mixed league is the way to go. You'll pick up tips, and learn to read the lanes better. Also, practice at tough houses. Also go practice at your local house. If you can bowl good on burnt lanes, then league conditions will be much easier.

The Arsenal:

Ball 1: 14# Brunswick Vapor Zone (Medium Oil)
Ball 2: 14# Track 714C (Heavy Oil/Long Oil)
Ball 3: 14# Brunswick Avalanche Slide (Dry)
Ball 4: 14# Columbia White Dot (Spare)

HGS: 258
HSS: 695

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Friends made a dumb bet
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:50 PM
Difference between shammy & microfiber towel
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:49 PM
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - 11/19/19 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.