BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#46244 - 12/13/07 08:44 AM Re: Hello New to the Forum!!! [Re: Dennis Michael]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: m/ Michigan
Welcome Willard,
Dive in. smile

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#46247 - 12/13/07 09:45 AM Re: Hello New to the Forum!!! [Re: Tim Gerard]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
The funny thing about the slang terms that Dennis said is that people who live/grew up around Comisky Park talk like that. My wife grew up 10 minutes from there and my best friend around the corner. He says those kind of things all of the time.

#46256 - 12/13/07 12:07 PM Re: Hello New to the Forum!!! [Re: General Pounder]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
You're right GP. And, the strangest thing is that you don't notice it while you live 'over by dere'. But, going away and returning was a culture shock. For me 'anyways'.

All of these slang terms were part of the normal speech, and everybody talked that way.

I friend of mine from Boston sent me a long list of these. I only posted the first 10. He sent them in response to my comment that he talked funny. Havvad Yahd. type stuff.

Silvercoach, have you ever traced colloquialisms, slang, pronunciations to specific geographic regions? That would be a fascinating study.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#46259 - 12/13/07 01:36 PM Re: Hello New to the Forum!!! [Re: Dennis Michael]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: m/ Michigan
I grew up North Of Detroit in what used to be pretty rural farm country. My parents were farm kids of Belgian and German descent, and very large families. They all talked like that or should I say "dat". Alot of D's in the language "Dis" not used like today as in "he dissed me" but "Dis" = this, dat =that, doze = those, stuff like that, similar to what Dennis says.

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#46262 - 12/13/07 03:45 PM Re: Hello New to the Forum!!! [Re: Tim Gerard]
AmpleSound Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 34/M/CO
Welcome to the site!
Columbia Plastic - (Spares/Dry)

My best:
HGS - 300
HSS - 769

#46579 - 12/22/07 09:35 PM Re: Hello New to the Forum!!! [Re: AmpleSound]
silvercoachinhouston Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: 19/M/Houston, Texas
Dennis,
That would be an interesting study, I'll see if I can dig something up, no promises though.

All 15#
Paradime - Storm
Fuze - Brunswick
Fired Up - Storm
Scout Reactive - Columbia
Stinger Low Flare - Ebonite
Blue Dot - Columbia

Spare no Opportunity to be your best!(c)

www.sparenoopportunity.com

"No man ever became great or good
except through many and great mistakes."
-- W.E. Gladstone

#46583 - 12/22/07 11:19 PM Re: Hello New to the Forum!!! [Re: silvercoachinhouston]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

Oh No, now I am too conscious of everyone's speech. My wife actually said bedgeroom last night. I asked her to repeat it. And, there it was again. Am I becoming overly critical? She squeezes the toothpaste in the middle too. I have known her for 40 years, and never noticed these things. I don't want to know any more.

And, my son came over and asked, j'eat? I guess that was, did you eat? Jokingly, I said I had a sammich, and he understood. I have heard others pronounce it sangwich. Hey people, there is a D in that word.

This will drive me insane.

#46595 - 12/23/07 11:14 AM Re: Hello New to the Forum!!! [Re: Dennis Michael]
USBC Silver Coach

Welcome to my world, Dennis, lol. For instance, the word "there" has no meaning in the English language without clarification, i.e. pointing (It's over there.).

Passive voice drives interpreters silly because we interpret meaning, not words. (The boy was hit.) WHO HIT THE BOY!?

People with accents drive interpreters nuts too, "Den ve vill talk about ze dour." was that door or war?

Yep, I'm glad someone understands my pain, lol. Good luck overcomeing this, Dennis.

All 15#
Paradime - Storm
Fuze - Brunswick
Fired Up - Storm
Blue Dot - Columbia

-- W.E. Gladstone

#46598 - 12/23/07 11:36 AM Re: Hello New to the Forum!!! [Re: silvercoachinhouston]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

Silvercoach, I know there are different dialects throughout Italy, the background of my heritage. And, the same word may have different meanings in different parts of the Country. There are also different words for the same thing.

When my father, 3rd generation removed from Italy, met my wife's grandmother who was born in Italy, the two tried to converse in Italian. My Father, in his Americanized/Italian speech from Sicily was talking with a Native born near the Northern Yugoslavian Border. I could see they had trouble understanding each other. Then all Hell broke lose when my Father said something like "you have a nice dress" and it was understood as " I am a dog". It took some fast talking to smoothen that over.

With all of the differences in pronunciation, colloquialisms, and slang, I can see where it would b extremely difficult to learn our form of English. Heck, when I went to England, I could hardly understand them.

#46614 - 12/23/07 07:17 PM Re: Hello New to the Forum!!! [Re: Dennis Michael]
USBC Silver Coach

Yeah, lol, now add the fact that interpreters are learning a second language on top of that, and language changes all the time. Lol, then you've got the picture! The interpreter is attempting to keep up with the slang and changes to 2 or more languages!

That's interesting about your father, anyone else have any funny misunderstandings with language they would like to share? (keep it clean!)

All 15#
Paradime - Storm
Fuze - Brunswick
Fired Up - Storm
Blue Dot - Columbia

-- W.E. Gladstone

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
After 8onths my centre has finally reopened
by looseleftie - 11/28/20 05:10 PM
No Post Available
by djp1080 - 11/28/20 01:37 PM
This is a damned shame
by BOSStull - 11/01/20 02:42 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 11/01/20 02:39 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.