BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#45652 - 11/29/07 03:39 PM Next lane to Luksa :))
Eva Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: khm, khm ;) / F / Europe
I've been bowling since april 2006, it means 1 year and a half. My avg is around 172-174 over first bowling season.

Here is what does it looke like now:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xdl65SZE2H4

I learned to walk heel-to-toe for some months, but I don't know why my 4th step is still so "stupid", I jump directly on toe and a way diagonally/sideway instead heel-to-toe and straight as other steps. If I try to make the 4th step "normaly" like others, but shorter, I'm loosing time anyway because I'm able to compress more. Then at the end I have to pusht the ball instead od waiting for it comming down. If I jump directly to toe, I can't compress enough and my bowling-hand starts to travel down earlier then it should. Huh?! frown

I would like also to realize my non-bowling-hand to have somewhere in the front of the body until to before-the-last-step instead of flying like a bird.

I'd appreciate any comments on what needs to be improved and maybe some hints how to realize. Still then is my task and work on it, I know. wink

(My ball is drilled 3/16 forward and 1/8 right.)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#45657 - 11/29/07 07:31 PM Re: Next lane to Luksa :)) [Re: Eva]
silvercoachinhouston Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: 19/M/Houston, Texas
As far as your 4th step, that's not a big deal. Mentally, you are probibly trying to get more power, but subconsciously. From the video it looks like your foot moves on that step. If you get shoes with rubber on the right foot, it may help, and even if it doesn't, it can benifit your game. This will improve your leverage into the slide, which may be what you are subconsciously trying for now. Really, the problem isn't that you are stepping toe first on that step, it's the small hop that could cause a problem, and it's really not too bad now, but it could get worse. I would try taking a smaller 4th step, this is commonly referred to as the "power" step. This step allows your body to "gear up" for the slide, and it is common and adventagous to have a smaller "power step." It allows the bowler to "drive" into the slide. If you get shoes with a rubber sole on the bottom of the right foot, it will allow for more of this. If your power step is big, then your body will be more upright, and you won't have the same amount of leverage at the release.

As far as your non-bowling hand, think of putting your hand out and down when your ball starts up into the backswing. Both of these are easy with some practice. Good luck and let us know what happens!

All 15#
Paradime - Storm
Fuze - Brunswick
Fired Up - Storm
Scout Reactive - Columbia
Stinger Low Flare - Ebonite
Blue Dot - Columbia

Spare no Opportunity to be your best!(c)

www.sparenoopportunity.com

"No man ever became great or good
except through many and great mistakes."
-- W.E. Gladstone

#45776 - 12/04/07 12:01 AM Re: Next lane to Luksa :)) [Re: silvercoachinhouston]
bigwavedave Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 33/M/Seattle
Hi,

I think I can give you some insight. It seems to me that your ball is either to heavy or you are pushing to hard into the swing. It causes your feet to get fast on your 4th step. Try starting the ball a little lower. You'll have to experiment, but I'd bet that will help your foot work.

#45778 - 12/04/07 03:13 AM Re: Next lane to Luksa :)) [Re: bigwavedave]
Eva Offline
Bumper Bowler

Good morning,

thanks for both opinions. Trying the 4th step to make it shorter, causes me like to "explode" in the last step. Maybe I should try to make it shorter, but without hurry up to the end? Guees it is possible to make it short, but slow? "Slow" - it means not to run into the last one, not like a snail. wink

I was working a lot on moving the ball (14 lbs) from push-away continuously to swing it free (before I was slowing down the ball with my muscles and then pulling up in the backswing). Since the ball is "out of control", it's been traveling higher and higher and higher.. and actually it comes too high for me, yes! smile

I will give all suggested options a try, I know it takes some time for changes to take effect, and be back with any feedback.

#45780 - 12/04/07 09:39 AM Re: Next lane to Luksa :)) [Re: Eva]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
To keep the ball down, just start it lower. Gravity will pull it down less, and it will have less speed going into your backswing, so it will not go as high.

For that second to last step timing, just try to keep your pace the same. If the step is shorter in length, it will be shorter in time as well, but it should be at the same *speed* as the rest of your approach.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#45809 - 12/05/07 12:41 AM Re: Next lane to Luksa :)) [Re: cgeorg]
silvercoachinhouston Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: 19/M/Houston, Texas
Cgeorg is right on in how he explains the timeing of your 4th step.

As far as the ball coming too high, it cannot become too high unless you are pulling the ball up into the backswing, or unless you have physical limitations in your game. If you feel that the ball is coming up too high, something is wrong. It could be anything from a bad fit, to simply not being comfortable with it yet. If you are hurting from the ball comeing that high, then do as they suggest and start the ball a little lower. Work on a free/loose armswing, and you will be doing great!!

Keep up the good work!

All 15#
Paradime - Storm
Fuze - Brunswick
Fired Up - Storm
Scout Reactive - Columbia
Stinger Low Flare - Ebonite
Blue Dot - Columbia

Spare no Opportunity to be your best!(c)

www.sparenoopportunity.com

"No man ever became great or good
except through many and great mistakes."
-- W.E. Gladstone

#49089 - 02/06/08 03:13 PM Re: Next lane to Luksa :)) [Re: silvercoachinhouston]
Eva Offline
Bumper Bowler

Hi all,

after some weeks, I'm back with - I hope - some progress. I'm working hard to make my swing free (yes, it's really hard), to relax my biceps muscles, how to support the ball with non-bowling hand and holding as much weight as I can for now in my non-bowling hand (I use the way it is described at: http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/tip7.htm) for a good start and maybe prevent tendonitis... in short: I'm working on relax my arm and make my swing more free.

I recognized rythm of my motion is somewhat different that it was, my 4th "stupid" step spontaneously became less "stupid" at it was. With more relaxed hand and arm (of course, it's still not enough, but it's better) my non-bowling-hand is also spontaneously situated somewhere in the front of the body until to before-the-last-step instead of it was - flying like a bird. My right arm is now "unlocked" what brings availability to my ball - now it is able to travel a bit higher without any troubles and without dramatic shortening my 4th step.

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4gmXBqZyg0

Now I have a question: I was told, that I'm pulling the ball a bit into the backswing, that my ball travels to fast like with some acceleration in my backswing. Because I can't feel this mistake (if it is) for now, I'm wondering: how to feel it or how to fix it.

And another question: now I'm too short at the time of release. I can't wait for the ball long enough, and I go up with the body at the end instead of staying down, before that I was deeper in the knee. I want my arm to be in front of my hand/wrist, but I can't realize that.

Can you give my any advice what are my great mistakes now, maybe some other things cause the problems I have now.

Thanks a lot,
Eva

#49093 - 02/06/08 05:01 PM Re: Next lane to Luksa :)) [Re: Eva]
AmpleSound Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 34/M/CO
Eva,

My two cents of your video... you look to have a great finish in my opinion. It seems as though you were speaking with someone about where you felt you went wrong in your approach. What I saw was your push away, as your body language had suggested. That is a crucial part of your approach and sets the timing of it. You need to make sure the second step and your push away are in-sync with each other. It seems as though you push up instead of pushing away. Pushing away and locking the elbow create/start the pendulum, pushing up causes the shoulder muscles to contract and go to work taking away that free swing.

Columbia Plastic - (Spares/Dry)

My best:
HGS - 300
HSS - 769

#49097 - 02/06/08 07:01 PM Re: Next lane to Luksa :)) [Re: Eva]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
Originally Posted By: Eva
Now I have a question: I was told, that I'm pulling the ball a bit into the backswing, that my ball travels to fast like with some acceleration in my backswing. Because I can't feel this mistake (if it is) for now, I'm wondering: how to feel it or how to fix it.

Re: the above, the person saying that is probably used to people controlling their backswings to slow them down. Yours looks pretty free. Your form looks very good. From what I was able to see when I paused it, the ball is pretty much in sync with your footwork. At the point of release, the ball is by your ankle, and your nose, knee, and toe are in a vertical line, which is good. You may want to bend at the waist a bit more.

When you throw bad shots, how are they bad? Do you miss outside, or inside? Inconsistent revs or rotation?

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#49138 - 02/07/08 10:04 AM Re: Next lane to Luksa :)) [Re: cgeorg]
AmpleSound Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 34/M/CO
Cgeorg, I've got inconsistent revs/rotation every few shots. Could that be a problem with my release/timing? Maybe something I'm not doing in my follow through?
Columbia Plastic - (Spares/Dry)

My best:
HGS - 300
HSS - 769

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plugging balance holes
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:27 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:20 PM
2020 Nationals
by Doogie - 03/20/20 10:30 AM
This is a damned shame
by 82Boat69 - 03/17/20 07:48 PM
Belmo and the 2020 US Open
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:45 PM
COVID-10 and center closings
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:39 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.