BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#45599 - 11/28/07 05:35 AM Moved lanes **THREE** times in league tonight
brettbolt Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: California
Yes, you read that right.

Move #1: Tonight in league we were supposed to bowl on lanes 23/24. However, the center had sanded the approach earlier in the day. One area where a right handed bowler would normally slide was so rough that some of the bowlers on both of our teams were worried about tripping there. Plus there was fresh sawdust all over the place. So near the end of our 10 minute warmup, both teams unanamously agreed to find another lane pair. So we moved to 15/16.

Move #2: Lanes 15/16 had good smooth approaches and all was well (we thought). We were 4 frames into game 2 when one irate bowler from another team (not the team we were bowling against) said that we had to go back to lanes 23/24 and restart game 2 according to the league rules. He was hot! He also had to bowl on a lane with a rough approach so he felt that this somehow gave our two teams an unfair advantage. Then the league president came and backed him up, and told us we had to move back to 23/24. Plus, we had to start game #2 all over! There went my good start down the drain, oh well.

Move #3: So we bowled on lanes 23/24 for 3 frames (restarting game 2 all over). And then the league president decided to call a meeting with all the team captains. They all decided that we should move *back* to 15/16, and restart game #2 a THIRD TIME. So I packed my gear and went along with it.

We actually got to finish games 2 and 3 on lanes 15/16 without further disruption. Yeah!

I brought my iPod, played some music at max volume in my headphones and got psyched up to try harder.

After all of this, I bowled my best series in 11 months of bowling - 182, 149, 214 for a 182 average -- 33 above normal. The music helped me relax and not worry so much about my score or all the moving around. The rest of my team didn't do very well.

Unfortunately, we split the series with the other team and it knocked us out of 1st place. Next week is the final week of league. We need to win all 4 and 2 teams in front of us have to lose at least 2 games. Problem is, its a position round and they will bowl each other! So we have a slim chance of finishing 1st, but are still mathematically alive.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#45604 - 11/28/07 09:44 AM Re: Moved lanes **THREE** times in league tonight [Re: brettbolt]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Brett, the original move should have been an Officer decision in the first place. A team cannot decide this on their own.

Secondly, what is this fellow talking about, (unfair advantage?). You bowl against your opponent team, not his. And, the conditions were the same for both teams on your lanes. Nothing was unfair.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#45605 - 11/28/07 09:46 AM Re: Moved lanes **THREE** times in league tonight [Re: Dennis Michael]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
Brett:

Was this guy complaining on a team that was right behind you in the standings when you started the night?

#45608 - 11/28/07 10:35 AM Re: Moved lanes **THREE** times in league tonight [Re: General Pounder]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
The first move should not have happened without the League Officers involved. Then a determination of how unsafe the approach was should have been made and the teams moved per any decision by the officers.

Good bowling though!!

Erin

#45630 - 11/28/07 10:08 PM Re: Moved lanes **THREE** times in league tonight [Re: Atochabsh]
brettbolt Offline
Action Bowler

Originally Posted By: Atochabsh
The first move should not have happened without the League Officers involved. Then a determination of how unsafe the approach was should have been made and the teams moved per any decision by the officers.

One of the guys on my team is kind of a perfectionist. He's very good too -- bowled his first 300 game last week! Anyway, he pushed the idea to move because conditions did not favor a repeat performance, and the other team did not object. One of the bowling center's employees (who happens to be a big fan of our team) changed the computer to do the move. In retrospect, we definitely should have OK'd it with the league officers.

Originally Posted By: General Pounder

Was this guy complaining on a team that was right behind you in the standings when you started the night?
I found out later that it was actually two people who complained. Neither were anywhere close to us in league standings.

What happened was that the son of one of the center employees struck the 1st 9 in game one, and then split in the 10th, blowing his chance at 300 because he stuck on his slide. Then he saw my team on a good lane and decided it was unfair. Sour grapes maybe for not getting his 300?

The other guy who complained was the same one who's team I was afraid of being assigned to in Summer league (he is unpleasant). I don't think he had anything to gain by telling us to move -- I think he just enjoys telling people what they can and can't do. Even so, I still don't understand why he started out so hot about it -- before any of us had a chance to say anything. I didn't say a word. My teammate was so cool about it and I was proud the way he handled it.

#45659 - 11/29/07 09:50 PM Re: Moved lanes **THREE** times in league tonight [Re: brettbolt]
Mkirchie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 39/M/New Jersey
Quote:
What happened was that the son of one of the center employees struck the 1st 9 in game one, and then split in the 10th, blowing his chance at 300 because he stuck on his slide. Then he saw my team on a good lane and decided it was unfair. Sour grapes maybe for not getting his 300?

Wait, he had no trouble with the approaches for the first 9 shots, then all of a sudden he sticks and it's the fault of the approaches that were sanded before he even started to bowl? Did he not slide in the same spot that he did for the last 9 shots? If he did, he should have stuck for all of the previous shots. Sounds like this guy was making excuses for not finishing out the 10th frame. Either way, the whole deal sounds ridiculous.

Mark

#45663 - 11/30/07 12:36 AM Re: Moved lanes **THREE** times in league tonight [Re: Mkirchie]
brettbolt Offline
Action Bowler

Originally Posted By: Mkirchie
If he did, he should have stuck for all of the previous shots. Sounds like this guy was making excuses for not finishing out the 10th frame. Either way, the whole deal sounds ridiculous.

It was his 5th time on that particular lane, but you're right -- you would think he would have stuck before unless he changed his line in the 10th. And who would change lines after nine strikes? It just doesnt add up.

Two weeks ago the center got a brand new manager. He attended management school, but has never bowled before! Maybe that explains why he thought it was OK to leave sawdust in the approach area after rough-sanding it before league?

I plan on talking to the manager soon to see if he can add wi-fi. They really need it to compete with the other center in our area which has it, and the people on my team are mostly gadget freaks.

#45665 - 11/30/07 10:48 AM Re: Moved lanes **THREE** times in league tonight [Re: brettbolt]
Mkirchie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 39/M/New Jersey
Quote:
Maybe that explains why he thought it was OK to leave sawdust in the approach area after rough-sanding it before league?

In my opinion, that is the worst part of the situation. When my house sands the approaches, the only way you know that they were done is that they look nicer, not due to dust leftover from the sanding or from a change in the surface of the approach.

Mark

#45667 - 11/30/07 11:07 AM Re: Moved lanes **THREE** times in league tonight [Re: Mkirchie]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Quote:
Two weeks ago the center got a brand new manager. He attended management school, but has never bowled before!

That's AMF for ya.

#45668 - 11/30/07 12:15 PM Re: Moved lanes **THREE** times in league tonight [Re: Atochabsh]
Angel Offline

A/S/L: F/So Cal
They certainly seem on a tear to hire every former Circuit City employee or when they run out of those, they'll take food and beverage people. Bowling, oddly, seems secondary at best.

It's certainly frustrating when they want to take out awards cases filled with memorabilia and pictures to put in a few more video games.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
This is a damned shame
by djp1080 - 10/17/20 08:32 PM
Undercover Boss Bowlero
by BOSStull - 10/12/20 07:16 PM
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 10:12 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:39 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:32 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.