BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#45006 - 11/06/07 10:34 PM Practice/Strike Tape
jackdied Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: Male/Boston
I bought a camera a couple weeks ago and in just a couple sessions it has really helped my mediocre game (143 league average). I highly recommend it - my perception of how I move was wildly different than fact. Lessons are more cost effective than a camera so borrow a camera if you don't have one (I was going to buy one for other stuff anyway).

So here is a tape of strikes from my last practice on Saturday. Much better than my old form but I'd appreciate any feedback. At Sunday league I followed this up with a 194, 189, and *ooph* 100. Still +20 per game better than my average even with that bomb.

I like bowling for the same reason I like golf - the fun is in getting a little bit better all the time. Thanks in advance for helping with my fun.

-Jack

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#45007 - 11/06/07 10:49 PM Re: Practice/Strike Tape [Re: jackdied]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
Just a comment about only showing the strikes.. that's not going to be as helpful as seeing everything. If you threw strikes all the time, you wouldn't need help, right? So what is is that they're doing when you don't throw strikes?

It will be much more useful to see the good and the bad together.

#45008 - 11/06/07 10:51 PM Re: Practice/Strike Tape [Re: Lefty]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
And a comment about taking a video.. make sure it captures your whole body from the start and do not zoom in on the pins. Just keep yourself in the shot. We can't see how you set up and how you start, which is very significant.

#45015 - 11/07/07 05:35 AM Re: Practice/Strike Tape [Re: Lefty]
jackdied Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: Male/Boston
Doh, I did both those things (just strikes and digital zoom) because I thought it would help. I'll edit or reshoot today. Probably reshoot because the original footage was taken from on top of the ball return and doesn't include my first two steps.

Thanks for the advice Lefty.

#45034 - 11/07/07 07:30 PM Re: Practice/Strike Tape [Re: jackdied]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Footage from the bowling side (right hand in your case) shot from the foul line with the subject in frame head to toe the whole way is very helpful for timing and armswing issues.

What I saw was a very easy shot (damn right I'm jealous), some of the shots were 5 boards apart from each other at the arrows and still struck of course. The reason you seem to spray the ball around is your upper body is twisting, sometimes it twists back to square sometimes it doesn't make it back and other times it twists back too much.

To correct this after you start the ball in motion with your left hand (right hand should be relaxed and just going along for the ride), move your left arm out to the side like an airplane wing and keep it square to your target throughout the approach. This will help keep you square to your target as well as saving editing time on your next all strike video laugh

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Belmo and the 2020 US Open
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 09:08 PM
This is a damned shame
by champ - Yesterday at 06:12 PM
What to do?
by Mkirchie - 02/01/20 07:45 AM
Plugging balance holes
by Dennis Michael - 01/29/20 01:20 AM
The price of new bowling balls
by Dennis Michael - 01/28/20 06:14 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.