BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#44438 - 10/24/07 01:48 AM does playing well affect handicap
tech.007 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 30/m/ca
I just joined a league.I bowled 3 games my first night with a series of 468. My average should be around 150 or so for that first night. If I play better the next few league nights and score higher, does my handicap change?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#44439 - 10/24/07 02:18 AM Re: does playing well affect handicap [Re: tech.007]
brettbolt Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: California
Yes, your handicap will drop as your average increases, which is currently 156. (468/3)

In my league, handicaps are computed as the difference between your average and 220, multiplied by 80%.

And as the weeks go by, each indvidual game will have less and less affect on your handicap.

#44441 - 10/24/07 09:17 AM Re: does playing well affect handicap [Re: brettbolt]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Tech, generally a league will establish your actual handicap after you have bowled for 3 weeks or nine games. That gives you a good average of enough games. After that, your handicap will be recalculated every week.

But, then again, check with your Secretary for exactly what the league rules are.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#44447 - 10/24/07 10:59 AM Re: does playing well affect handicap [Re: Dennis Michael]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
The object in a handicap league is to get better. No matter what level you are at, if you get better, then your handicap lowers, your skill rises and your team tends to do better.

Erin

#44450 - 10/24/07 11:48 AM Re: does playing well affect handicap [Re: Atochabsh]
Angel Offline

A/S/L: F/So Cal
This thread made me smile. I have a new bowler, about 10, who started bowling with us in September. He's literally brand new, with an average of maybe 50 or 55 as of week 6 when he starts to "get" it and starts popping off games of 80 or so. As he's bowling, and he's trying to figure out what handicap does, I said, "And as you get better, your handicap gets smaller and smaller until you don't need it anymore." And he says, "But I want my handicap to stay big so I can win!" If this had been an adult league it would have been tough not to want to groan. But it means at least the kid understands the practical aspects if not the intent. smile

#44451 - 10/24/07 12:06 PM Re: does playing well affect handicap [Re: Angel]
Sparky One Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 32/M/MT, United States
I think that this is the conundrum that can lead some bowlers to sandbagging. They like the high handicap, but still would like to win.

How does tournaments work in everyones area? Do they use the handicap from league play? Do you think there are players that sandbag in league play then clean up during tournaments?

Brunswick Target Zone Blue/Black/White - 14#

Lane Masters The Buzz - 14#

#44452 - 10/24/07 12:10 PM Re: does playing well affect handicap [Re: Sparky One]
SoCal Jeff Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: Orange County, CA
Sparky,
It depends on the tournament - if it's an in house local tournament meant for the bowlers from that center, they may take your league average - if it's a tournament club, they can take your book average and adjust depending on how you bowl in their club.

#44453 - 10/24/07 03:20 PM Re: does playing well affect handicap [Re: SoCal Jeff]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Many of our Tournaments use a "tournament" average. That is a composite average created through the bowler's activity in tournaments. This is most commonly seen in our City and State Tournaments.

There's also a common rule that says if you are currently averaging 10 pins over your book average that you have to report it to the tournament committee and rerate yourself. Failure to do so, leads to disqualification.

There's also the simple rule that a tournament committee can re rate you at any time for any reason.

There's always going to be sandbagging and those that try to do so. But eventually it catches up with them. Right now our little group of problem people are all switching hands. Using their off hand to establish an average then entering tournaments using the other hand. If you did not personally know them, you'd not think to ask a tournament entrant what hand they normally use. So far it hasn't worked.

Erin

#44457 - 10/24/07 04:27 PM Re: does playing well affect handicap [Re: Atochabsh]
Brandon510 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 28/Male/California/Philippines
Tournments i have seen usually will ask both averages current book average and league average. If you dont have average they use 220 as entering average. I beleive they allways goign to be people who are going to try to sandbag.

When i was junior i booked 115 or my first season of bowling and bowled several tournments and bowled in tournments about 133+ and usually came home with a lot of torphies. But those all local in my center tournments so they just used my book average. So i improved alot from what i booked that year.

BowlSk: Stats

#44460 - 10/24/07 05:35 PM Re: does playing well affect handicap [Re: Brandon510]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
I didn't bowl for quite a lot of years and had no sanctioned average for at least 10 years. I was asked to bowl in a series of Tournaments, where I bowled really well. Without a sanctioned average, I was entered as a 165 average bowler in a 220 cap handicap tourny. Well, I bowled 650 and 660, cashing in the first two. On the third tourny, I was given a tourney average of 218 or so because of my previous scores. Which was only fair.

ABT works in a similar form. You establish a tourny average with repeated bowling.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by BOSStull - 10/04/19 06:17 PM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by BOSStull - 09/22/19 11:01 AM
USBC Rule 12
by BOSStull - 09/22/19 10:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.