BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#44329 - 10/21/07 11:33 PM question about calluses and thumb hole fitting
vision Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: Albuquerque, New Mexico
I notice that some people who bowl have calluses but there's people that don't have any. When I first started as a kid I thought the thumb hole shouldn't be snug so I landed up with a callus on the base of where my thumb meets my hand but I fixed that. Now after using a thumb slug for 2 years I have a callus on top of my knuckle and to the side of my thumb. I'm bowling more this year and the callus on the knuckle of my thumb and side of my thumb gets sore. One of my questions is how do I get rid of the soreness completely and how to stop more from forming?

My other questions are, I hear everyone talking about how your thumb hole should feel and how your thumb should fit, how relaxed should my thumb be? How should my thumb feel when I put it in? Should my thumb bend at all?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#44332 - 10/22/07 12:54 AM Re: question about calluses and thumb hole fitting [Re: vision]
Rickywin Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 19/M/CA
It shouldn't bend at all. The thumb should be snug to the point where you can apply very little, if any, pressure to keep it from falling off your hand in the swing. If you have to grab, then grab with the web of your thumb and not the thumb itself.

#44342 - 10/22/07 06:01 AM Re: question about calluses and thumb hole fitting [Re: vision]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Unfortunately calluses are part of the game, even if you have the perfect fit, you will still have a small callus at the base of your thumb, as this is where the ball grabs ahold of your thumb. Notice I didn't say where you grab ahold of the ball, the thumb does not bend in the hole, ever.

If you insert your thumb straight in the ball, and shift it forward, you will feel the front edge of the hole lock onto the base of your thumb. If you have too much bevel, this locking point will not be there and you will need to put a new slug in with less bevel.

#44355 - 10/22/07 11:02 AM Re: question about calluses and thumb hole fitting [Re: CoachJim]
Luksa Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 29/M/Slovenia
CoachJim, what's your take on skin protection tape? The one you put on the back of the thumb. Should the ball catch only at the base of the thumb and not at all on the back side? (I can feel it catch on the back side as well as at the base).

I'm using the tape and have really no calluses at all. However, when I don't use it, the back side of the thumb gets a little red and tender, but the next day it's okay again.

But maybe the tape causes me to squeeze the ball, since it's much more slippery than skin?

Bowling klub

#44380 - 10/22/07 07:43 PM Re: question about calluses and thumb hole fitting [Re: Luksa]
Scott Gannon Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 51/M/California
I have big time problems with my thumb and callouses on the sides. I use the Green Ebonite Protecting tape and it works great.
Fall 2013-14-League Average-178, HG-228, HS-631

#44384 - 10/22/07 07:56 PM Re: question about calluses and thumb hole fitting [Re: Scott Gannon]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
I don't have any callouses on my gripping fingers, just on my pinky, where there is some friction with the ball, but not much. I did at one time cut the middle finger on the ringer finger side at the crease, but I think that was from gripping tightly and a very violent release. Any other callouses are from manual labor.
HS:763

#44390 - 10/22/07 10:24 PM Re: question about calluses and thumb hole fitting [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
brettbolt Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: California
Taping my thumb and finger serves two purposes for me -- protection from calluses and improving my grip. Due to a hand injury I simply cannot bowl without tape.

The tape I use is not slippery. If I need extra grip I can use a roll of tape that was heated in my microwave oven or in my car on a hot sunny day. (Some of the adhesive melts off onto the back side of the tape).

The announcers at the Japan Cup said that many Japanese bowlers use tape too.

#44425 - 10/23/07 04:40 PM Re: question about calluses and thumb hole fitting [Re: Luksa]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Callouses on the back side of the thumb are caused by bending the thumb to hang onto the ball.

Callouses on the side of the thumb are caused by either twisting the thumb on release, or too much lateral pitch one way or the other.

Brett, they make rubber grip tape as well as the slippery tape, as well as the rubber tacky tape for the front of the hole, send me a pm and I will send you a link.

Edited by CoachJim (10/23/07 04:42 PM)

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - 10/18/18 04:06 PM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.