BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#43752 - 10/12/07 03:25 PM Injured middle finger - hurts too much to bowl
brettbolt Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: California
I felt a sharp pain at the base of my middle finger in game 3 of league on October 2. Its between the 2nd and 3rd joints on my palm side. So I gave it some rest and resumed league bowling a week later (Oct. 9th).

That was probably a big mistake. It hurt all 3 games and affected my score. My average dropped 35 from the previous week. It got so bad that I was forced to bowl with only one finger in the ball (my index finger). It is swollen and hurts if I touch it or try to grip with it.

So yesterday I saw the doctor and got an x-ray. With that amount of pain I was almost certain that it was fractured. But the X-Ray showed nothing broken. The doctor wasn't sure exactly what was causing the pain. It's between joints so its not arthritis. He simply called it 'soft-tissue damage'. He said don't bowl for at least a week or it will get worse. And he's got me icing it, taking motrin, and recommended B vitamins. Maybe I tore something or over-stretched a tendon?

Unfortunately we're having 'position rounds' on the 16th and we will be playing the team that we are currently tied with for 1st place. Talk about bad timing!

Anyway, has anyone here had something similar? How long did it take to heal?

(By the way, this is not really my 1st post here -- I had to re-register after the system crashed).

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#43753 - 10/12/07 03:40 PM Re: Injured middle finger - hurts too much to bowl [Re: brettbolt]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
Originally Posted By: brettbolt
(By the way, this is not really my 1st post here -- I had to re-register after the system crashed).

Likely story n00b. Do you have anyone that can vouch for you? wink

#43754 - 10/12/07 04:04 PM Re: Injured middle finger - hurts too much to bowl [Re: Lefty]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
Is it on the outside, or palm side? If it's the outside, it's probably a tendon - the pain is probably from having to squeeze the ball, and possible too much forward pitch in the finger holes.

Do you use your index and middle fingers in the ball? Have you tried middle and ring? That is the standard way to go, though some will add a hole for the index or pinkie (or both) if they have trouble with 2 holes.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#43756 - 10/12/07 04:15 PM Re: Injured middle finger - hurts too much to bowl [Re: cgeorg]
brettbolt Offline
Action Bowler

The pain is on the palm side of my middle finger. I normally use my middle and ring fingers in the ball like most everyone else, but I was forced to use only my ring finger. (There's a mistake in my original post)

#43759 - 10/12/07 04:54 PM Re: Injured middle finger - hurts too much to bowl [Re: brettbolt]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
Oh ok... That seems like an odd place to have a pain. One other thing to consider is that the middle finger span might be stretched a bit too far, which could put extra pressure on the joints/tendons of the finger.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#43761 - 10/12/07 05:07 PM Re: Injured middle finger - hurts too much to bowl [Re: cgeorg]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
You are fingertip, right? I would check the span.

cgeorg only has 4 posts to your 2. Both n00bs.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#43763 - 10/12/07 05:10 PM Re: Injured middle finger - hurts too much to bowl [Re: cgeorg]
Brandon510 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 28/Male/California/Philippines
I had pain in both middle and ring finger sometime last year. I just over turned the ball and came out of the ball funny. I some how strained it. Best thing is rest and not too ball. I would rest for a week no practice and bowl league but day after league it come back and go away. It finally disappeared after a month.

So i would say rest is best cure.
BowlSk: Stats

#43767 - 10/12/07 05:32 PM Re: Injured middle finger - hurts too much to bowl [Re: Dennis Michael]
brettbolt Offline
Action Bowler

Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael
You are fingertip, right? I would check the span.
I use a conventional grip. The span seems OK but maybe the middle finger hole is too tight and it's hanging up there. I think I might have bent it backwards too far during delivery and pulled a tendon. I'm wondering how much time I should give it to heal. I guess I'm going to have to have my ball checked too -- don't want this to happen again!

Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael

cgeorg only has 4 posts to your 2. Both n00bs.
This is like being in one of those scary movies where you wake up one day and none of your friends remember you!

Hey, since I registered here shortly after March 17th (the point this place was restored to), I get a fresh start and you don't, so ha ha. grin

#43771 - 10/12/07 05:59 PM Re: Injured middle finger - hurts too much to bowl [Re: brettbolt]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
It's like Groundhog Day, when Bill Murray would wake up and repeat yesterday all over.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#43774 - 10/12/07 06:23 PM Re: Injured middle finger - hurts too much to bowl [Re: Brandon510]
brettbolt Offline
Action Bowler

Originally Posted By: Brandon510
I had pain in both middle and ring finger sometime last year. I just over turned the ball and came out of the ball funny. I some how strained it. Best thing is rest and not too ball. I would rest for a week no practice and bowl league but day after league it come back and go away. It finally disappeared after a month.

So i would say rest is best cure.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Sounds like what happened to me and I think I was also trying to get too much speed/revs on the ball.

I'll rest my right hand for a couple of weeks and see how it does. And I won't be bowling 3 practice games before league anymore!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
no one on for 5 days
by 82Boat69 - 0 seconds ago
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by 6_ball_man - Today at 08:42 AM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by 6_ball_man - Today at 08:29 AM
True Motion vs. Black Widow Urethane
by Mkirchie - 05/20/18 07:28 AM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Dennis Michael - 05/12/18 06:43 PM
For the good of the sport?
by Dennis Michael - 04/29/18 10:29 PM
Superstitions?
by Dennis Michael - 04/26/18 06:09 PM
Better Polish
by BOSStull - 04/24/18 12:24 PM
I'm pizzed at my ball driller
by 82Boat69 - 04/24/18 09:55 AM
Some awful lane conditions
by 82Boat69 - 04/24/18 06:46 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.