BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#43775 - 10/12/07 06:27 PM Re: Injured middle finger - hurts too much to bowl [Re: brettbolt]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Brett, I think your span is short causing you to squeeze your finger, and straining it. Or you are not seating your thumb all the way into the hole.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#43778 - 10/12/07 07:20 PM Re: Injured middle finger - hurts too much to bowl [Re: Dennis Michael]
brettbolt Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: California
Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael
Brett, I think your span is short causing you to squeeze your finger, and straining it. Or you are not seating your thumb all the way into the hole.

Thats a possibility. I have always struggled with grip issues since I have a partially amputated thumb. I think I had to squeeze the ball the day it happened. My first shot in practice I dropped the ball on the deck (was embarrasing). After that I knew I had to grip it tighter.

Maybe I should get a new ball drilled and start over.

The alternative would be to use a rubber hand like Munson did in the movie Kingpin! smile

#43855 - 10/14/07 02:25 AM Re: Injured middle finger - hurts too much to bowl [Re: brettbolt]
Community Manager Offline

A/S/L: BowlingCommuntiy.com

Community Standards - The Community's Rules and Policies.

#43908 - 10/14/07 09:09 PM Re: Injured middle finger - hurts too much to bowl [Re: Community Manager]
luisistaz Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 49/male/Tijuana, Mexico
Pain between the fingers is due to unusual preasure on the joint, wich causes strain and may cause small tears of the joint ligaments, and can, in counted cases, cause subluxation of the joint. The only way to get an acurate diagnosis is an MRI, and the only treatment ( if it's not severe) is rest, as much as 4 to 6 weeks, and antiinflamatory agents. Yes, the wrong span can cause this, and overexcertion also is a likely culpret.

#43913 - 10/14/07 11:02 PM Re: Injured middle finger - hurts too much to bowl [Re: luisistaz]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Brett has an unusual hand. And given any ball thrown down the lane you might have done something different that tweaked the whole combination. So if it continues, I would seek your doctor.

Erin

#43919 - 10/15/07 12:45 AM Re: Injured middle finger - hurts too much to bowl [Re: Atochabsh]
brettbolt Offline
Action Bowler

The unusual thing about my hand is that the tips of my thumb and index finger had to be amputated after an accident long ago.

I distinctly remember the initial pain when I tried to put too much speed on the ball and my middle finger hung up in the hole too long (causing it to bend backwards). I saw a doctor last week and the X-Ray did not show a break. The pain is midway between the 2nd and 3rd joints, so its probably a torn tendon, not a ligament. (Tendons are between joints. Ligaments hold joints together).

I agree with you, luisistaz, that an MRI would be the only way to see it well. But the doctor wants to give it enough time to heal on its own without doing an expensive MRI, which seems reasonable. He suggests that I avoid bowling for 2-3 weeks.

So I won't be able to bowl in the mid-season position round on Tuesday when we will face the team we are tied for 1st place with. It will be hard just watching and not participating in the action that night.

#43937 - 10/15/07 10:23 AM Re: Injured middle finger - hurts too much to bowl [Re: brettbolt]
silvercoachinhouston Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: 19/M/Houston, Texas
Originally Posted By: brettbolt
So I won't be able to bowl in the mid-season position round on Tuesday when we will face the team we are tied for 1st place with. It will be hard just watching and not participating in the action that night.

I couldn't do that, ha ha, I would be bowling left handed!

All 15#
Paradime - Storm
Fuze - Brunswick
Fired Up - Storm
Scout Reactive - Columbia
Stinger Low Flare - Ebonite
Blue Dot - Columbia

Spare no Opportunity to be your best!(c)

www.sparenoopportunity.com

"No man ever became great or good
except through many and great mistakes."
-- W.E. Gladstone

#43976 - 10/15/07 06:23 PM Re: Injured middle finger - hurts too much to bowl [Re: silvercoachinhouston]
brettbolt Offline
Action Bowler

Originally Posted By: silvercoachinhouston
Originally Posted By: brettbolt

I couldn't do that, ha ha, I would be bowling left handed!

If I bowled left handed my scores would be 70 below average and we'd lose for sure! (Plus they wouldn't allow me to switch hands mid season anyway).

However, I AM tempted to bowl with one finger (plus thumb) in the ball. I had to do it for the last two frames last week. But I fear I might drop the ball from lack of grip.

#43985 - 10/15/07 07:44 PM Re: Injured middle finger - hurts too much to bowl [Re: brettbolt]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
I've sat there and watched my team bowl due to being hurt. I bowled the first game, but I had problems with my quads in both legs and my back so I withdrew for the rest of the night, only two games I missed that year. I guess playing football the day of bowling and up to the point of barely making it to the center isn't a smart move.

As for bowling with the hurt finger not in the ball, trying to do that with the grip issues you already have due to your thumb could be tricky. Maybe try it before league starts if you can make it there early and get a pair of lanes before hand. Bowl a game or two with your good finger and thumb and if you have issues, sit out the night, if not go for it. Plus this can give you a chance to get your grip worked out if you can bowl.
HS:763

#43990 - 10/15/07 08:31 PM Re: Injured middle finger - hurts too much to bowl [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
brettbolt Offline
Action Bowler

I use a 16 pound ball, but its times like now when I wish I had a 14 lb like you, infernocal.

So far this season, we usually have 1 or 2 people on our team of 4 score below their average, and 1 or 2 score above average and carry them. It varies from week to week. So far we've been lucky and have managed to not all bowl poorly on the same night.

I suppose I could practice before league with one finger. Then watch the rest of the team in warmup to see how they are doing tomorrow night, and then make the decision.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
For stubborn straight-bowlers
by Revenator - 0 seconds ago
best defiant in the line from roto grip?
by champ - 31 minutes 7 seconds ago
Thumb Tape Help - Gets sticky.
by mmalsed - 48 minutes 42 seconds ago
Changing a polished ball
by djp1080 - Today at 11:00 AM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2014-15 thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 10:28 PM
The Weak Ten pin?
by steveA - 10/21/14 07:11 PM
Adding new ball to the arsenal
by spectral - 10/21/14 10:16 AM
Fall '14 Week 6 virtual league results
by SteveH - 10/20/14 08:26 PM
Help choosing a new ball
by Cray - 10/20/14 12:45 AM
1500 abralon pad
by Dave800 - 10/19/14 07:58 PM
First Day with the Storm Crux
by SteveH - 10/19/14 06:50 PM
New ball purchase question
by SteveH - 10/19/14 10:10 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2014 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.