BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#43155 - 03/11/07 05:36 AM Both balls damaged tonight
Smooth23 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 23/M/Jackson, MI
So I went to the local Cosmic Bowling tonight. By far the best ally around. Never had any problems there before. After about an hour, balls got stuck in the return. They fixxed it, then about 10 minutes after that the people on the lane next to me and I ended up with a total of 4 damaged balls, 2 of them mine. Looks alot like what it would if you took a thin slice about 3/4 an inch wide and 1 1/2 inch long out of the surface of the balls. Of coarse the manager is going to have our balls repaired(whatever they do for that) and got some free bowling out of it. I'm a bit frustrated right now, to say the least.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#43156 - 03/11/07 07:36 AM Re: Both balls damaged tonight [Re: Smooth23]
Reader Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: Philadelphia
I bowled at at center where the ball return put a number of nicks in a brand new ball. The center offered to have the nicks "filled" but I was told by someone that it may not work well.

Does anyone know what is done for to repair surface gouges or nicks and whether or not it works?
MoRich Seek & Destroy 15 lbs (01/30/2007- )
Ebonite Maxim 15 lbs
HG:214
Avg:155

Started taking lessons: November, 2006

#43163 - 03/11/07 10:50 AM Re: Both balls damaged tonight [Re: Reader]
Silent Mike Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 39/M/Poconos PA
They use a thick ring basically and they fill it with resin. When it sets they trim the excess flush with the contour of the ball and sometimes it's resurfaced. In all honesty it usually looks pretty good but depending on where the damage is it can effect the ball. I HATE using repaired equipment, I have a ball I was averaging close to 230 with and it looked like it was peeled like an orange after getting stuck under the lanes some where. I got free bowling and it was repaired but it was never the same so it's on the living room floor as I type this. I had 2 in one season and I was [censored], 2 in one night would send me through the roof. Hopefully they do a good job repairing it for you.
Storm - Natural

#43164 - 03/11/07 11:02 AM Re: Both balls damaged tonight [Re: Silent Mike]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
If the nicks are not directly on the track (where the ball rolls) then repaired or not it will not alter the ball's performance. Unless of course we are talking big chunks, which it doesn't sound like in these cases.

But if the gauge is big enough we do what Mike is describing. The resin is similar to the resin in bowling balls and used to plug and redrill them. For most scratches and such, we use the same super glue type glue (its not exactly super glue) that we use to glue in the grips and thumbs. It has to have a hardener applied to it and then the ball is filed down (just in that place) and refinished to whatever condition it was in. In most cases you can barely see where it was. And in most cases where it is truely just nicks there is no change in performance.

Erin

#43170 - 03/11/07 12:16 PM Re: Both balls damaged tonight [Re: Atochabsh]
Roy Offline
Junior

A/S/L: Denver
I had a ball that had 4 chunks out of it in 1 game once. It was my favorite ball. They filled it with clear plastic type resin. When you ran your finger across the ball you could feel a tacky feel across the original surface and it would slip across the patches like a plastic ball. All 4 chunks where in the track and the ball either lost its true hook or it was a mental blemish on my part. Not sure which but I had to ditch the ball either way.

#43192 - 03/11/07 05:13 PM Re: Both balls damaged tonight [Re: Roy]
Khaz Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: Dodge City Kansas
That sounds like a screw head sticking up. They use a lot of counter sunk screws. They have the heads that sit into the surface flush so as to not hurt anything. When they come lose though the edges are very sharp and leave long uniform gouges. that sounds like one of the ones in the ball accelerator might have been loose, or maybe one of the hard cover boards they put on the walls of the pindeck.

I spent 2 yrs doing the machine maintainence at our alley, and learned all kinds of stuff that the average league bowler really shouldn't or doesnt want to know! undecided

Edited by Khaz (03/11/07 05:14 PM)

#43196 - 03/11/07 05:32 PM Re: Both balls damaged tonight [Re: Khaz]
Roy Offline
Junior

A/S/L: Denver
The damage to mine was from the top of the Brunswick A2 ball pin setter elevator. The alley new about the problem and yet still put me on the lanes. They said that there was a worn rubber part and that they were going to order the part to fix it soon. It was all I could do not going and slamming my ball threw their wood floors and telling them that the finger inserts were worn and and were slipping. And that I would look into get new ones sometime soon.

#43203 - 03/11/07 06:50 PM Re: Both balls damaged tonight [Re: Roy]
Khaz Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: Dodge City Kansas
Wow that is seriously lame not to mention very bad bussiness practice. That is the kind of attitude you usually only see from a only house in town alley.

#43205 - 03/11/07 07:03 PM Re: Both balls damaged tonight [Re: Khaz]
Brandon510 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 28/Male/California/Philippines
My Center if you report a problem that the lane tore up your ball. There fix your ball and usally send a tech out to the lane to see what the problem is and wont put anyone on that pair until they resolved the problem.
BowlSk: Stats

#43209 - 03/11/07 08:27 PM Re: Both balls damaged tonight [Re: Brandon510]
Jane 2006 Offline
Junior

A/S/L: Bahamas
You guys have it really good. Down here we have the "only house in town alley" that Khaz talked about.

When your ball gets damaged they either laugh at you, get mad, or point to the large sign at the door with the damage disclaimers on it. I even had one laneman tell me once "*#$% happens".

To top it all off we don't even have a Pro Shop or repair facility here. So count your blessing guys smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 02:32 PM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 09/23/18 10:56 AM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 09/12/18 08:37 AM
For the good of the sport?
by Dennis Michael - 09/07/18 04:48 AM
End of Days
by steveA - 09/05/18 04:25 PM
Off-Spot Rule and Pinspotter Operation Question
by BOSStull - 09/01/18 06:43 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.