BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#42471 - 03/02/07 12:45 PM Out with Tendinitis
Lefont Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 35/M/Atlanta
It seems every year around this time I get some kind of injury on my knee.

I know I have a bad history with my knee (two arthroscopic surgeries for torn cartiledge), but it drives me crazy. I guess injuries are part of this sport as well, but it kills me not being able to bowl and specially not being able to help my teams. This past wednesday I had a sub and he did just ok. We only took two points and we're still hanging to 4th place, even though the distance has shortened with the teams behind us.

Tonight I have somebody else subbing for me as well. Hopefully it will go better than wednesday.

My coach has tried to get me to slide before. He states that sliding will take away a lot more pressure from my knee preventing any injuries, but I have a lot of trouble sliding, I totally lose my form and lose accuracy as well. Anybody thinks this is the only way of taking pressure off my knee? Any other tips?

MoRich Awesome Hook - 14#
MoRich Total Shock & Awe - 14#
Brunswick Ultra Zone - 14#
MoRich Sahara - 14#

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#42472 - 03/02/07 01:06 PM Re: Out with Tendinitis [Re: Lefont]
bluesman_vt_2002 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 40/M/VT
I don't know as though it's the only way, but I agree with him. It would seem not sliding would put more torque on the knee and tendons, possibly causing the tendonitis, whereas sliding uses the muscles in your lower back and thigh and calf to decelerate and stop you at the line and take some of the pressure off the knee.

There's a guy in my Tuesday night league who doesn't slide. His feet (and whole approach actually) are pretty slow and I've seen him be a off balance occasionally (an not by much either) and really twist that knee.

Just throwing that out there as I've never seen you throw a shot.

Take care, so you can get back out on the lanes.

-- Travis
Storm Hy-Road | Ebonite Mission | Ebonite Complete NV | Plastic

#42476 - 03/02/07 01:55 PM Re: Out with Tendinitis [Re: bluesman_vt_2002]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: m/ Michigan
I can totally relate to you LeFont,
I have a great deal of trouble sliding myself. I have tried and tried, but just as you my form suffers and my shots are anything but accurate. I have had a coach ( not my coach)say that sliding is not an absolute must, but it really should be part of a good approach. I am fearfull of my knee getting torn up eventually too. I have the Dexter SST shoes with the interchangable soles, and heels, and I am going to install the most slide sole and heel on them and REALLY work on sliding this Sunday. My coach has been after me to slide for awhile now, so I have got to give it an honest effort to try and get it right. I owe it to myself and my knee. I don't want to be sitting on the sidelines watching others bowl while I am recovering from some knee injury. Hope you recover soon.

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#42479 - 03/02/07 02:02 PM Re: Out with Tendinitis [Re: Tim Gerard]
Scott Gannon Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 51/M/California
I slide some but not a lot. I do not feel any pain in my knee and never have. That being said I do only bowl onc a week and just started back last summer. I started a thread on this subject so hopefully a lot of people will weigh in.
Fall 2013-14-League Average-178, HG-228, HS-631

#42488 - 03/02/07 02:50 PM Re: Out with Tendinitis [Re: Scott Gannon]
Lefont Offline
Bracket Donor

Eraser,

I've had my coach tell me the same thing. In his opinion the slide doesn't make you a better bowler, but he thinks it would benefit me since I have a bad knee.

I don't remember right now their names but there's a couple of pros that don't slide at all.

Something I know has helped to my injury is the many times I bowl every week. I bowl in two leagues, sub in two other ones and practice twice a week. I'm not bowling this week of course but I'm gonna have to cut back...

MoRich Sahara - 14#

#42489 - 03/02/07 02:51 PM Re: Out with Tendinitis [Re: Scott Gannon]
luisistaz Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 49/male/Tijuana, Mexico
Planting and shooting does put a lot more preasure on your knee, proper knee bend and slide is a must if you have had knee problems, because the probability of a recurrance is very high if you don't correct your aproach. As a Doctor I know that, and as a player with a history of knee injuries ( from basketball not bowling), I can relate to your problem. Shure, the timing will be very diferent and may cause you to stray from your mark, but with practice and a good coach you will be able to slide and get your timing correct. It's more important than you think ( for you, because of your knee injury history).

#42537 - 03/03/07 12:33 AM Re: Out with Tendinitis [Re: luisistaz]
Lefont Offline
Bracket Donor

I will probably make a big effort about learning how to slide properly over the summer so I don't hurt my team in case my average goes down. I know in the long run it will also give me the chance of keep bowling and not having to give up the sport alltogether because of a recurring injury.

Thanks for the advice Luis.

MoRich Sahara - 14#

#42546 - 03/03/07 08:54 AM Re: Out with Tendinitis [Re: Lefont]
Silent Mike Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 39/M/Poconos PA
How about some kind of thin material knee brace? They make those neoprene (wet suit like) knee braces to offer some support. Tendonitis seems to be part of bowling, usually elbows and I routinely see people wear a wrist brace or a fore arm brace to help take the pressure off. I wonder what having a little support on the knee would do for you? It's cheap enough to try out. Just don't go with anything too bulky, it should flex like your knee does.

Something like this...

http://www.orthobrace.com/fla/category/kneebraces.htm

Scroll down and see the ones that slip over the knee with out all the bulky straps. Just an idea.

Edited by Silent Mike (03/03/07 08:55 AM)
Storm - Natural

#42583 - 03/03/07 10:14 PM Re: Out with Tendinitis [Re: Silent Mike]
Lefont Offline
Bracket Donor

I have about 4 or 5 different knee braces and that I've been wearing on and off. And they do help, but I'm already beyond that... hehe.

I'm already feeling better today... I'll see how I feel wednesday I might give it a try...

MoRich Sahara - 14#

#42658 - 03/04/07 11:19 PM Re: Out with Tendinitis [Re: Lefont]
luisistaz Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 49/male/Tijuana, Mexico
A neophrene knee brace can't match the force put on a joint, so while it feels comfortable enough, it does not prevent further injury, it does however let you feel better because of heat retention and the little suport it gives. Nothing will ever replace puting less preasure on your knee joint, and the best way is changing your aproach ( the slide).

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plugging balance holes
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:27 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:20 PM
2020 Nationals
by Doogie - 03/20/20 10:30 AM
This is a damned shame
by 82Boat69 - 03/17/20 07:48 PM
Belmo and the 2020 US Open
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:45 PM
COVID-10 and center closings
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:39 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.